PDA

View Full Version : Working wives in Dubai

goldenrivet
9th Apr 2001, 00:48
Are any of you married guys in EK aware whether or not your wives are allowed to work and if so do they require work permits etc, etc?

Ghostflyer
9th Apr 2001, 09:33
Yes and Yes, go and buy Dubai Explorer for the info!

skip
9th Apr 2001, 13:30
Chances are they'll earn more than you!

deepee
10th Apr 2001, 00:43
...but not as a teacher!! http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif

------------------
"I don't suffer from stress.I'm a carrier".

JoeCo
29th Apr 2001, 00:44
How do the wifes like it in Dubai, especially those who don't work. Looking at a job in Dubai and want the girlfriend to come along, but I don't want her bored off her rocker!!

Beechcomber
29th Apr 2001, 01:26
Skip, how many times have I seen that happen.......and Deepee, good to catch up with a relative of yours the other day.

QNH1013
29th Apr 2001, 08:48
JoeCo,
Perhaps your concern should be that once you are settled and friends and favourite shops are found, she'll start enjoying the permanent holiday and expat life there and get real used to living life as a woman of leasure!

Well, jokes aside, I'm sure EK pay could support a family either way. Unlike where I am right now where peanuts can hardly support myself!

Good Luck.

JoeCo
29th Apr 2001, 21:13
Thanks QNH,

I've only been through the airport myself, but I hear it good living as an expat, I just hope that she can see it the same way I do. Regardless, I need to get the job first before any of this is a concern.

ironbutt57
1st May 2001, 04:20
They're all most welcome to "work" but by law their employer must also be their sponsor..

Albert of Arabia
1st May 2001, 11:50
JoeCo, wives are welcome to work in Dubai, and often are actively recruited. This is because they do NOT have to be sponsored by the Company they work for, as they can do it under their Husbands sponsorship. Emirates themselves are an example of this practise. Only yesterday the work internet site had a note from Recruiting notifying of their interest in Wives etc working part-time under their Husbands sponsorship.

You mention the term 'Girlfriend' in your original message. If you want to bring her with you, that better change to 'Wife' in this Muslim country. Either that, or she needs to get a job on full company sponsorship.

yakkity
1st May 2001, 14:57
Iron Butt.. not so...
They can work under husband's sponsorship , but the company employing them must supply or get issued a work permit.. usual blood test , etc.

JoeCo
1st May 2001, 19:34
Blood Test??? Explain please?

I also heard that if she wasn't going to move with me that she could stay on a visitors visa for 4 maonths at a time? Confirm, anyone please.

JoeCo
4th May 2001, 20:53
Well it looks like I AM going to be moving to Dubai. Just heard back and was offered a position. So if any one cares to add any more relavent news about living in Dubai, I would love to hear about it. Plus, could I get more info about the blood test.

Joe

yakkity
5th May 2001, 07:58
Blood Test,
All residents are required to submit an ampoule of blood from ones arm for an AIDs test, prior to being issued with residence Visa.

arnoldschwarzenegger
7th May 2001, 00:32
Hi JoeCo,

congratulations that you`ve got the job. My interview will be in two months from now. I am sorry that this is not the correct forum for this question, but could you be so kind to give me more detailed information about the selection process in Dubai ?

Thanks for your help

Happy landings

Arnie

JoeCo
7th May 2001, 07:20
Arnie,

What job is it that you think I got and what selection process are you refering too????

arnoldschwarzenegger
7th May 2001, 23:38
Hi JoeCo,
well, since this is a forum mainly for pilots, I figured that you´ve got a job as first officer. If that´s not the case I wish you all the best anyway.

Happy landings

Arnie

JoeCo
8th May 2001, 19:34
Arnie,

Well you're right, I did get a job as a pilot, but it's not as a F/O and it's not for one of the airlines. I went to the interview, and they hired me. As for how things work in Dubai, I don't know any more than you do, it'll be a live and learn experience, but I'm looking forward to it!!

Fly Through
8th May 2001, 22:52
Trust me, ignoring the 'different' way things are done over here you'll love it. Only problem is when you have to return home to the rain, cold, tax etc etc

Rgds FT

arnoldschwarzenegger
8th May 2001, 23:35
Well JoeCo,

thanks anyway and good luck!

CU
Arnie

JoeCo
9th May 2001, 07:45
Tjanks Arnie, sorry I couldn't be more help.

Fly Through, I'm going into this with a VERY positive attitude, I just hope all works out and I can't wait until I get there.

DUBAI, HERE I COME!!!!!!!

bravo 2-0
14th May 2001, 21:38
Good positive attitude toward the place and life will get you along way in this place!

Ahalan al wa sahlan, Yanni

You will enjoy it!