PDA

View Full Version : High flying over Melb.2/4/08

cattleclass
2nd Apr 2008, 23:46
Hi there, just a question from a SLF standing on a melbourne beach, and wondering what 4 engine flight comes north out of the Bass Strait every Wednesday arvo heading N.East, and high. Who is it, where is it going that high, and where has it come from? Answers on a postcard please! cheers, j/x

Liklik balus
3rd Apr 2008, 00:07
Think you'll find it is QF64, Jo'berg-Sy. Depending on the routing usually o'flies about 1.15pm every Mon Wed Thur Fri (Tr. shortening normally takes it north of Melb.)

UnderneathTheRadar
3rd Apr 2008, 02:29
Bloody annoying when you have to leave Melbourne at 7am to connect in Sydney and then fly direct back over Melbourne again to get to Jo'burg!

UTR

Buster Hyman
3rd Apr 2008, 02:43
I can beat that UTR.

Checked in a guy on SQ one day. He'd just got off a delayed connecting flight from ADL & was totally flustered. Once I told him the flight went MEL/ADL/SIN, he went ballistic!!! When he'd calmed down a little, he assured me that he would call his travel agent in ADL & have a little chat....:D

Keg
3rd Apr 2008, 02:47
I did the inaugural MEL-JNB back in about 96 or '97. We had 64 on board. When you factor in that there were 16 cabin crew back then it was essentially 1:3 ratio of crew to punters. Loads and forward bookings didn't improve over the next couple of months and so it didn't last much longer. I suspect that similear issues would still be at play.

tipsy2
3rd Apr 2008, 03:28
I say Keg me ole fruit, you can't have done the inaugural MEL-JNB back in about 96 or '97 'cos I used to do manual (then the first generation computerised) load sheets for QF642/641 that went SYD/MEL/PER/MRU/JNB and return in 1970 and a B707 at that!

I seem to remember there were some gaps in the operations to Seth Efrika over the years as a result of the political/UN sanctions regarding the aparthied situation.

Maybe Queer and Nasty will return to Harare as well as it looks like Mugabe is soon to be Ex President!

tipsy:E

cattleclass
3rd Apr 2008, 04:09
Cheers LikLik, wouldn't have thought of S.A., big old world , eh? j/x;)

Keg
3rd Apr 2008, 08:53
lol. G'day Tipsy. It would have been nice to go via PER and MRU on the way to Jo'burg (with slips in both places along the way). Alas but ours was first non-stop and very, very boring! :ok: