PDA

View Full Version : Cessna Mustang attempting round-the-world record, for Charity...

robbreid
2nd Apr 2008, 22:36
http://www.speedaroundtheworld.com/latest_updates.asp Update

http://www.speedaroundtheworld.com/about_the_plane.asp N1693L

http://www.speedaroundtheworld.com/about_the_pilots.asp The Pilots

Flintstone
2nd Apr 2008, 23:45
At the risk of being branded a miserable sod am I the only one that thinks that these high-cost gigs would raise far more money if they just paid whatever it's costing them (to in this case fly around the world) into the charideee of their choice?

G-SPOTs Lost
3rd Apr 2008, 07:52
Indeed! with that range the landing fees alone would build a couple of new hospitals :E

TheOtherSide
3rd Apr 2008, 09:12
Oh you guys! This has turned into that programme "Grumpy Old Men". No offence guys I just happen to have age on my side for this argument. :}

7AC
3rd Apr 2008, 09:51
What a complete waste of time, money and energy.
Just self indulgence and self promotion.

2 sheds
3rd Apr 2008, 09:56
Quite right - most of these activities "for charity" are just jollies, with the participants merely indulging themselves and wanting to feel good about it. Now, if they would like to do something useful that people would actually pay for because they wanted the product, quite a different matter - but that might entail getting their hands dirty.

krammie
3rd Apr 2008, 21:43
Grumpy old men is right. What is the problem with someone fulfilling a personal goal of theirs and helping a charity at the same time? One of the main reasons to do something big like this is to raise awareness for a charity to attract public donations. If you read the site, Jared has already committed his own money plus donating additional money based on how many hours he beats the record by.

What about Steve Fossett and the GlobalFlyer? He and Branson did that project to benefit who? No one but themselves. The trolls on here need to lighten up a bit. Maybe try donating some money to the cause yourselves. Check on the website, Jared is paying for the entire trip himself, donations are not covering fuel costs.

Flintstone
3rd Apr 2008, 21:56
Nobody is trolling krammie. It just seems daft to me to spend so much money getting a Mustang around the world when the cost of doing so could be donated along with all the other monies thereby benefitting the charity even more.

krammie
3rd Apr 2008, 22:17
Flintstone,

I understand what you mean. I personally know Jared, so I probably have a more inside track on the situation. Just like most anyone on this board, Jared loves to fly and likely would want to pursue this goal and challenge ANYWAY. For the same reasons any other pilot loves to fly. My point is, I think it's commendable that he try and do some good for other people while he's at it rather than just fly around the world for the sake of doing it.

I'm mainly aggrivated at posters like 7AC. It shows a bit of ignorance. Just in defense of the self-indulgence comments, it is documented if you search on Google of other things Jared has done to help less fortunate besides flying a plane around the world, United Bank Card runs charity poker tournaments at industry events to raise money for homeless and Make-A-Wish. I just felt the need to reply considering he cannot defend himself, as he's somewhere over Japan at the moment. That's all

Flintstone
3rd Apr 2008, 22:18
Understood ;)

Tell you what. To show there's no hard feelings I'll click on the link and make a donation.

krammie
3rd Apr 2008, 22:56
Make-A-Wish thanks you! I gotta be honest, it was a pretty cool sight seeing the kids get all excited during the meet and greet they did before leaving MMU. They signed a good luck banner and enjoyed themselves sitting in the plane and talking to the pilots.