PDA

View Full Version : Work in Australia? as abinito?

Bestycame
2nd Apr 2008, 19:20
G’day all!
Let me first introduce myself,
My name is Olivier, I’m 20 years old and I’m coming from Belgium. I have been in Australia for a gap year between September 2006 and July 2007. I was working in a school in Launceston, Tasmania. it has been for me a wonderful experience, and, since I came back, my only dream is to go back to Australia to work there.
Initially, I went to Australia to learn English because, as I wanted to become a pilot, I would have to study all my courses in that Language. And guess what, it is what I’m doing now. I’m currently doing my ATPL in a Belgian school. And now, in less than a year, I will be graduated from that school, and it will be time for me to look for a job as an Airline Pilot. But there is one thing I’m sure of; I don’t want to work in Belgium.
So, here is my dream, I wish to go back to Australia, to work there as an airline pilot. I have been looking on the web for different possibilities, and I don’t see if it is possible to do that in my case. I will have the “classical” European Frozen ATPL: around 250 flying hours with a MEP-IR-CPL, a theoretical ATPL, and a MCC. (So I guess, not a lot of experience), and, could my case get any worse, I of course have no permanent Australian citizenship. But something there is something that I have: I am motivated: I want to fly; I want to be in Australia.
So here is where I need a little bit of advice: how does aviation works on Australia? I guess I cannot enter in one of the “Majors”, but I’m sure there is a lot of “little jobs” I could do on the side. Do you now any “Australian Student Pilots” forum? Where I can get more information about how the training works in Australia and where I will be at a better place to ask all the questions I have? Also, what do you think of this project? Is there anyway it might succeed?
As I said, I am motivated, and it is not a thing I want to do since 3 days, I have that project since I came back of Australia, and every day my dreams grows bigger.
Thank a lot to you all,
Olivier

jbr76
2nd Apr 2008, 20:49
http://co.iidbs.com/olstore/oz_wind_up_crew_l.jpg

WannaBeBiggles
2nd Apr 2008, 22:55
Oliver, you will need to convert your JAA licence to an Australian CPL and sit do the relevant flight tests and sit some exams.

Here is a link that includes information on immigration as well http://www.casa.gov.au/fcl/overbr.htm

Now just a reality check here... chances that you will get in to an airline as soon as you rock up are pretty much non existant. You will have to either become and instructor or head out bush like the rest of us. After building up your hours (and get paid peanuts), then you can start applying for airlines.

Good luck with it all. :ok:

erik07
5th Apr 2008, 18:54
hi oliver...

while converting ur license to the CASA one isn't THAT difficult and complicated as long as u fulfill the minimum reqs on the CASA website, getting a work permit will be your biggest hurdle. there are plenty of jobs around atm, both in flight instruction and general aviation, but unfortunately neither aircraft pilots nor flight instructors are on the "professions in demand" list that immigration draws annually. that means, you are unable to get a work permit based on the simple fact that you're a pilot. although your work ethic and motivation are commendable, immigration doesn't care sh*t about it...they have their rules, and won't bend or break them...i'm in a similar situation as i'm doing my licenses in the US, and then want to come to australia.

there are only two other options worth pursuing to beat immigration into giving u a work permit / permanent residency. since refugee status won't apply to you, you can only get in by getting an "employer sponsored" working visa...which means you have to find an employer who will pay you a stipulated minimum wage, pay health insurance, etc and "sponsor" you for a minimum of two years, after which you may have the option of applying for permanent residency based on other grounds. this is pretty difficult though, as the employer needs to prove to immigration that they cannot find an australian locally to do the same job... alternatively, find yourself an australian girl and propose to her..move to australia and get married within 11 months.

for further information on all the visas check out the immigration website at www.immi.gov.au (http://www.immi.gov.au)

i'm sorry i dont have better news....but yea...it's VERY difficult to get into australia with working rights unless your nominated occupation is "in demand" according to immigration (i.e.: nursing, medical practitioners, engineers, miners etc), you're a refugee, or you're married to an australian.

good luck!

erik

Ultralights
5th Apr 2008, 23:55
where do i get those wind up crew??? they could be handy to keep in the flight bag...

dogfish747
6th Apr 2008, 01:05
Mate, contact [email protected]
I think the owner is belgian
They are an Aussie GA mob.

troppo
6th Apr 2008, 06:08
Citizenship shouldn't be a problem. Australian girls are pretty easy and you won't have much competition when looking for one to marry you. :E

dogfish747
18th Apr 2008, 09:13
Mate contact [email protected]