PDA

View Full Version : Paper Tickets

wingman863
2nd Apr 2008, 15:48
I've just booked a trip through a travel agent (STA Travel) with Qatar Airways. They are going to issue me with a paper ticket and I can't remember the last time I used one of these things as it's been e-tickets used for years on all my trips.

Does anyone know if I'll be able to pick my own seat or will it have been assigned to me when the ticket is printed? Also, the dreaded 'what-if', what happens if I lose it when I'm away?

Thanks for any help.

Mark in CA
2nd Apr 2008, 18:19
I don't believe the type of ticket affects your ability to choose your own seat. That's more a function of the airline's web site capabilities. You could always call the airline and request a seat assignment. Tickets, paper or otherwise, don't reflect seat assignments. That's a function of the boarding pass you get when you check in, either at the airport or online.

christep
3rd Apr 2008, 06:23
Keep a separate record of the ticket number and/or reservation locator.If you lose the ticket while you're away the airline will issue you a replacement (they may make a small admin charge for this) and you will be required to sign an indemnity to cover the cost if the "lost" ticket is subsequently used. Obviously, you should turn up at the airport a little earlier to deal with this paperwork, but otherwise it shouldn't be a big deal.

wingman863
3rd Apr 2008, 07:37
Thanks for the replys guys, but something slightly concerns me. So if I lose my ticket and then get issued with a replacement, the lost/stolen ticket can still be used by another person?! Or did you mean incase I were to be sneaky and use the 'lost' ticket again myself?

groundhand
3rd Apr 2008, 08:45
Wingman,

Be careful re lost ticket as many airlines will not re-issue against the original ticket and insist that you buy a new one.
I had this once and then they said that the flight was full; "but the seat I've paid for won't be occupied because I've lost my ticket" was my drift, willing to buy the new ticket just to get home. No deal was the reply so I had a 2 day delay and lots of hassle. I eventually got a refund on the unused part of my lost ticket 15 months - yes 15 months - after my reporting it.

Best lesson - look after your tickets!

GH

TotalBeginner
3rd Apr 2008, 10:59
The problem with a paper ticket (the type that STA use) is that it's actually the form of payment from the travel agent to the airline.

Best to keep it safe!