PDA

View Full Version : Another Premier 1 Down

nasa
2nd Apr 2008, 12:22
Can anyone confirm that HB lost another Premier 1, believed to be an early S/No, somewhere in Asia, maybe India. Just checking as I believe it may have been the first one I had the pleasure to fly in..................

Ooooppppsss.....Appears it may have been RB23 or RB24. Flapless landing due U/S flaps and aircraft has documented history of flap problems (so I've been told and rumour has it) :uhoh:

fleigle
3rd Apr 2008, 21:25
Its usually not the flaps per se, but a disagreement in "logic" (bit check) from the variety of microswitches in the spoileron systems. If they don't agree then flap positioning is limited.
They are tested at startup and again when you are on final (and wanting flaps), if they don't agree on the ground you have to go through the whole test again, in the air you'd better head somewhere where you have a lot of landing distance (and also hope that the flakey brakes work).
Ask me how I know. :uhoh:
F

robbreid
3rd Apr 2008, 22:01
Now I'm curious??? I emailed the owner of RB-23 which is Ran Air in New Delhi (VT-RAL).

As for RB-24 N903AT according to Flightaware, its last known flight was into Wichita on March 16.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N903MT

Just found this, and it is RB-23 of Ran Air;

http://www.indianexpress.com/story/286457.html

nasa
4th Apr 2008, 01:56
It all comes back to me now. RB23 I flew in in Australia some 3 years ago, and RB24 in Wichita some 18 months ago. There are some stories to be told there over a few cold beers :rolleyes:

Oh please fleigle do tell :ok:

NuName
4th Apr 2008, 05:29
According to a mate who works there, it is not repairable after exiting the runway after landing.

BoeingMEL
4th Apr 2008, 07:51
Yes fleigle, you're quite right.... lose the flaps so head for a suitably long runway elsewhere.

Problem is (and speaking from personal experience), in India the nearest suitable runway may be a very long way away so you'd better have plenty of fuel for the diversion! Oh happy days! Cheers bm:ok:

fleigle
4th Apr 2008, 20:31
What I've heard is that there have been 7 or 8 "overruns" historically at various locations, the good part is that the carbon-fiber hull does a good job of protecting the crew.
Its a nice aircraft, fast, roomy, but has short legs.

Paradise Lost
6th Apr 2008, 20:59
Why did they elect to land at Udaipur flapless on circa 7450' with either Delhi or Mumbai and 12,000+' only 40 mins away?

Level 400
8th Apr 2008, 09:36
I agree with previous posters who state that the Premier has acquired a poor reputation mainly because of mishandling.

The aircraft has a well designed swept wing which likes to keep flying - the recommended landing procedure is to approach at Vref and NOT add a few knots for gusts, mum etc. as the aircraft is then liable to float.

Most of the 'incidents' which occurred in early models were due to the approach to a short runway being made too fast, and sometimes coupled with a known problem with the flap or lift dump system. There is nothing wrong with the brakes, particularly those on the 1a which have been modified and are very good, but like most aircraft brakes they are not very effective when the aircraft is still flying..:ugh:

If problems occur with the flaps, then a flapless approach needs to be made at Vref +20 kts, with the corresponding increase in LDR.

It is perfectly possible to short field land the Premier in fields such as LFTZ with an LDA of c.3800' as long as the runway is dry and the aircraft is serviceable and accurately flown.

IMHO the RA390 is a fine aircraft, if a little short-legged, but can be unforgiving in the above circumstances. If in doubt, head for a long runway....:ok:

Level 400