PDA

View Full Version : Airmanship / Human Factors Books

baffler15
2nd Apr 2008, 11:32
G'day all,

Can anyone recommend any really good textbooks on airmanship and/or human factors in aviation, and where to get them in the Brisbane area? I've heard that Anthony Kern's Redefining Airmanship is pretty good. Any other good ones around that you have read?

Cheers,

The Baffler :ok:

Radix
2nd Apr 2008, 13:45

Keg
2nd Apr 2008, 21:06
Tony Kern's stuff is great. 'Flight Discipline' is the precursor to redefining airmanship and 'Darker shade of blue' is an interesting read into some very specific aircraft prangs on rogue behaviour. He has also got one called 'Culture, Environment and CRM' but I never read that cover to cover like the other three so I can't comment on how good it is. Tony approaches CRM in all of these books from essentially the same direction with 'Redefining Airmanship' seeming to bring them all together. You can sometimes get them in a box set- or at least the first three I mentioned- from Angus and Robertson.

http://www.angusrobertson.com.au/b2c/init.do

I'll second the nomination for 'The Naked Pilot'. Whilst it's a text written in the early to mid 90s- I got my copy in London when a S/O and I haven't been one of those since '97 :eek: - it's a great all round foundation on CRM concepts and quite easy to read.

If you're into research texts then anything with Helmreich in the name is invariably pretty robust. One of my texts from my uni course is called 'Cockpit Resource Management' by Wiener, Kanki and Helmreich. It's not a cheap text but not only gives you the concepts but the background research that went into those concepts.

Hope that helps. :ok: