PDA

View Full Version : FI, just a little confused...

garywoodrow
2nd Apr 2008, 03:55
Hi, I'm just looking for a little clarification on what licenses and ratings i will need to be an employable Flight Instructor in the UK. I basically want to know the minimum qualifications I need to be employable. I'm not too sure but i currently understand to be employable as an FI to teach PPL students i will need the following:
PPL
CPL
FI RatingI have tried searching for answers but still i dont fully understand the minimum requirements as i have read different things from different sources, not too sure which is correct.

Regards,
Gary

Shunter
2nd Apr 2008, 05:47
That's correct, although once you have the CPL the PPL becomes irrelevant. You'll end up with with a CPL and FI(R) which will get you a PPL instructors job.

The R (for restricted) can be removed after you've done 100 hours instructing, upon the recommendation of a suitable CFI. Whilst you're doing the FI training, it's always worthwhile slipping in the night hours so you can teach night flying too.

As with everything flying, if you want chapter and verse, read LASORS. It's a free download from the CAA website.

garywoodrow
2nd Apr 2008, 11:05
Thanks for that Shunter. :ok:

Deano777
2nd Apr 2008, 14:15
Don't forget the CPL written exams. (ok ok, before the pedants attack, it was stated you needed a CPL, thus needing the exams for license issue)

TheOddOne
5th Apr 2008, 20:50
The R (for restricted) can be removed after you've done 100 hours instructing, upon the recommendation of a suitable CFI.

Shunter,

Quite right, but you must add the 25 solo signoffs, which cannot be 1st solo or 1st solo cross country. These are REALLY difficult to obtain. I work at a busy school and I've done 200+ hours instructional but only 11 solo signoffs. It's a bit galling to get someone to 1st solo standard and have to hand over to a more experienced instructor to send them solo, but treat it as an apprenticeship. In retrospect, it's quite good really, it allows you to learn the ropes under the wing of more experienced people. I reckon it's going to take me at least a year full-time to get the restriction removed.

TheOddOne