PDA

View Full Version : what regional cargo ACFT?

suhoi27
1st Apr 2008, 20:24
I am making a research about the best regional cargo acft. for EU operations:The one which is going to be Ok for the next 7 years.
1.L 410 UVPE 10/20-----may be a good and dying king
2.Cessna Caravan and all its children-Single engined and not quite welcome in JAR's

What will be my next pick up within this scale???:{

wannabe-aviator
1st Apr 2008, 21:19
If you go to the LET Factory you will get to see a full scale LET310 which was a prototype 34 seater AC or a 3.2 Tonne AC.

I think that would be and should be where the LET Company should be heading I know at least 2 companies who would each love to buy at least 10 3 tonnes cargo planes.

Suhoi It does really depend on the sectors your looking at evaluating, for example I know a company in Estonia doing 2 flights per say on behalf of UPS carrying like 1500 kilos between Tallin and Helsinki.

By the Way doesnt AIR MED Operate the Cargo Master am sure they have a couple someone will correct me if am wrong on this one.

I would say the Future is the ATR or Q400 in the 5-7000 kilo capacity in the turbo prop range, and also the ATP if it wasnt Jinxed then it would make a good plane mind you its only Jinxed within the UK heehee.

WA:ok:

suhoi27
2nd Apr 2008, 04:23
I was also thinking the ATR way....LET 310 Might be a good idea,however it is still away of reality.....My boss insist on Caravan-Supercrago Master,me is the opposing force..:\

AircraftOperations
2nd Apr 2008, 09:33
Only certain countries allow single-engine commercial night flights on aircraft such as Caravans.

The UK isn't one of them, but Spain and Sweden are, I believe.

CargoOne
2nd Apr 2008, 18:03
It really depends of range/payload you are looking for... Many people actually considering A300B4F (45t payload) as a regional aircraft due to its range.

In 1.5-2t niche Metroliner is a nice aircraft for the job, fast and pressurized.

wannabe-aviator
2nd Apr 2008, 22:42
I think C1 Has a whole in one with the Metro AC as its range and payload is way better than the LET410 and I know one JAR OPS Metroliner for sale should you want it heehee.

Also what about the good old SHED 3.2 tonnes with about more or less same range but more capacity and I think BAC is selling one for about 450K USD but dont quoate me on this price but am sure its right but am not going to get sued heehee.

suhoi27
3rd Apr 2008, 06:08
will check both aircrafts......my boss is aiming at 2-4 tons range.

wannabe-aviator
3rd Apr 2008, 07:23
Also out of interest, since I love all things Brazilian mainly the ladies off course, I am sure there are a few EASA complient Bandits which have a payload of 2 tonnes and also the EMB120 which has a higher payload and I beleive EMB still Manufature the good old and reliable EMB120 so parts and new equipment is still readily available for at least another 5 years.

so if your big boss man/woman want a 2-4 tonne plane then go for the following:

Metro 23 = 2t approx
Shed = 3.2T approx
Bandit= 2t approx
EMB 120= 3t approx
ATR 42= 5.5t approx
ATP= 6t Approx
ATR72= 7t approx

By the way we would be better able to help you should you tell us range and condition requirements of your proposed Ops.

Timeless159
3rd Apr 2008, 09:36
If "shed" was in reference to a Shorts 330 or 360 I can add a little more about that. The 330 will haul about 2.5t and the 360 can haul 3.5t. The 360 will burn about 900-1000 pounds an hour, cruise at about 200 knots TAS and its maximum range is about 650 mi (1050 km). I've flown the Shorts for in regional cargo operations for DHL, UPS and Fedex all over the United States. It is a good plane for that kind of flying, but there aren't many decent ones left and parts can be hard to find. I think a decent 360-300 with good engines costs between 1.5 and 1.8 million $US.

A friend of mine flies a metroliner. That plane is very fuel efficient and it is pretty fast for a turboprop.

Another plane to consider would be the Beech 1900D. Two passenger Beech 1900D operators in the United State just went out of business. That would probably be a fairly cheap airplane to purchase now that there are so many on the market. There is also a company in Detroit, Michigan that has an approved cargo conversion program for the BAe Jetstream 31/32. http://www.jetstreamcargo.com/ I wish my company would get a few of those.

beachbumflyer
3rd Apr 2008, 23:11
Check also the Beech 1900.

suhoi27
4th Apr 2008, 06:14
Beech 1900 is a kind of too expensive to operate and for purchase also.....I was browsing the net and I saw BenAir had some LET 410 and they are for sale replaced by Cessna Caravan (or so)...

flugholm
4th Apr 2008, 17:14
And no-one's mentioned the wonderful Do 228 so far...!

Well, I guess apart from the payload you'd need information about the requirements
* range?
* door size? (e. g., the Shed wins over the Metro and Do 228 in this respect)
* do you want to load pallets or just loose stuff?
* is speed a factor?
* or does it just have to be cheap-cheap-cheap?

GearDown&Locked
8th Apr 2008, 10:40
Another option is the CASA C-212 Aviocar.

Freighter version can accommodate three LD3 containers or two LD2s or two LD727/DC-8s. Max payload 2700kg (5950lb).

suhoi27
8th Apr 2008, 20:03
thank you for posting replies! I pointed my boss's attention to your opinions and will see..........

PanAm707
9th Apr 2008, 08:47
Did you check the SAAB 340 Cargo?

berserker
9th Apr 2008, 10:22
ATP=8 tonnes
Hard to find any aircraft. Most of them are currently in use with other operators. i.e West Air Sweden

suhoi27
9th Apr 2008, 19:57
I am just trying to sort out which will be good for EU operations-not only the avionics wise....spare parts+maintenance organizations etc......Saab looks really nice:)

error_401
11th Apr 2008, 19:47
The "bigger" freight companies usually try to get rid of their ATR 42's for decent price - I know at least two which try to sell the 42's in favour of ATR 72's they are looking for.

ATR 72's have prohibitive prices which is an entry barrier for a new carrier.

Don't forget the F27 "good ol Fokkers" need "very" good maintenance though or will brake down. Still some operating at very high reliability if you can find the right mechanics and treat them well (aircraft and engineers).

If you have the money to buy - maybe also consider Saab 340. Around 2 tons.

Cheers

Depends if you can support the maintenance though.