PDA

View Full Version : Bristol GEn nav lectures...

brs
1st Apr 2008, 12:33
Hi

am i the only BGS studnt that thinks that Chapter 4 in Gen nav is almost impossible to understand...

chapter 4:maps and charts etc.

brs

acuba 290
1st Apr 2008, 13:16
same thing here :) do other stuff, return to it later and so on.. Hope brush up helps ;)

boogie-nicey
1st Apr 2008, 13:17
We've all been there but it's a hurdle that must be crossed. Perhaps the more practical approach would be to spend some time away from the books whilst 'mulling over it', you may get a eureka moment. General Navigation is hard and you really need to take your time over it, there's no sortcuts unless you're a real brain box. Also it's worth investing in decent plotting equipment and not wobbly old CRPs and dodgy school compasses, it will help you get nearer to the right answer and further from the wrong ones!

Also expect the brush up to really help consolidate alot of this information and finally give you a 'ah, now I understand' moment :ok: They're excellent instructors and yes they do know it all (well almost everything).

The best thing would be forget what you think you know about the world and learn afresh and accept what you're being taught against the bias of your own knowledgeable prejudice. That sways people away from learning the subject because they can't get their head around it in a 3D aspect. Try and visualise things perhaps even go out and get a globe to place on your desk then you can look at it from different angles and overlay pieces of string on it. Hope it works out matey :ok: Keep the faith......

G_STRING
1st Apr 2008, 15:25
I too am having the Gen Nav problems :ugh:

The suggestion of the globe is a good one, it is certainly helping me with the concept of overlaying the different charts, (lamberts, mercator, etc). Other aspects of gen nav however......!??

It seems I'm not the only one having great difficulties with this subject, at some points, it has almost made me want to give up the ATPL altogether, and take up knitting!!

brs
1st Apr 2008, 15:28
thanks alot

but what do you mean by "decent plotting equipment "

brs

boogie-nicey
1st Apr 2008, 15:43
High quality pencils, compass (engineering style), a well oiled CRP computer with the screws tightened (but not too firmly), a long ruler not just a plotter but one that will take you further a single pencil line, etc.

But of course all that is academic because the essential thing is knowledge of the subject matter. A good book on the subject is "Ground Studies for Pilots: General Navigation" by R. B. Underdown.

Hope that helps :ok:

LH2
1st Apr 2008, 15:48
but what do you mean by "decent plotting equipment "

http://www.governmentauctions.org/uploaded_images/plotter-746442.jpg

...sorry... my coat...

boogie-nicey
1st Apr 2008, 16:05
:} Good one, try taking that into the exam. Ah the CAA exam centre with all those happy faces looking forward to the treat of an exam, lovely what joyful memories ahhhh.....:p

poolflyer
1st Apr 2008, 17:02
The best part about Gen Nav is seeing 75%+ on your results sheet.:8

P.S. G_STRING shouldn't you be reading those books instead of posting here;)

G_STRING
1st Apr 2008, 17:18
Poolflyer

You're probably right, but I'm in the middle of a few days off from all things ATPL, (and off work, which is why I'm on the internet), for the sake of sanity.

Hopefully when I get the books back out in a day or so, they might make some sense.

Did you get 75% then? (Lucky person..)!

G_STRING
1st Apr 2008, 17:47
LH2

What's in the picture?

Currymonster
1st Apr 2008, 20:47
I dipped GNav first time around... before resit I got copies of all feedback sheets from Baz and hammered them... got through it then...big thing I can concur with is get a decent CRP5, plotting equipment, and do feedback questions again and again and again... oh and again!! , also got a globe which helped me visualise some stuff, also helped with met too! good luck

parris50
2nd Apr 2008, 07:18
The brush up course will help a lot but try your hardest to get your head around it all before then. That two weeks at Bristol made all the difference and once you've been "Bazzed" you'll feel much more confident. If you have specific questions, why not give Baz a call.

acuba 290
2nd Apr 2008, 10:18
@Currymonster

what means "got copies of all feedback sheets from Baz"?
what the difference to QB and that sheets?

jono1978
2nd Apr 2008, 21:50
Hi,

I'm currently on the brush up course, it is very intensive and the amount of work to get through is huge so do as much as you can before hand. But as has been mentioned Baz will sort you out, he's very very knowledgable dosen't mind going through things you don't understand.

He gave us feed back exam 5 today!! which should keep us busy. You deffo need a really good working knowledge of the whizz wheel as it's used alot. Good plotting is a good point too, there is quite a lot of plotting work to do on the course.

Hope this helps

John

acuba 290
7th Apr 2008, 12:50
i had this feeling sometimes, but it is mostly problem of my non-native english quick reading :) after some reading again and again i found actually everything i missed to answer during PTs ;) In case i did't found something at all, there is many other books like Oxford manuals or some webpages, so there is no problem to get answer. Biggest problems i have is based on my bad matematical groundknowledge, but it is not a BGS problem ;)