PDA

View Full Version : Biggin Condolences Here Please.

JSaeroengineer
30th Mar 2008, 15:16
Terrible, just terrible. My heart goes out to all involved.

hetrotrolleydolly
30th Mar 2008, 15:43
Sky reporting owners of the house were on holiday so hopefully nobody on the ground killed .God bless all involved,terrible tragedy RIP

magicE
30th Mar 2008, 15:57
Very Very Sad, but could have been so much worse. There is a major hospital and Senior school within 600m of the crash site.

maxdrypower
30th Mar 2008, 16:06
Awful , may they Rest in Peace :(

helldog
30th Mar 2008, 16:12
For those of us in the bizjet world, this is a sickening wait for reliable information. I feel terrible for those involved. My thoughts are with their family and friends. :(

con-pilot
30th Mar 2008, 16:18
Sounds eerily similar to the Citation 500 accident here in Oklahoma City at Wiley Post airport (KPWA) a couple of weeks ago.

Sad news.

autothrottle
30th Mar 2008, 17:24
Terrible , terrible news. RIP.

igs942
30th Mar 2008, 19:51
RIP :sad:

My thoughts go out to everyone involved.

17.05z - It seems that either Sky News reads what is written on PPrune, or they know something we don't....Not sure about the BBC but I know that Sky News definitely quotes PPRuNe. I was in Spain in January and saw them quote this forum when YMMM came down hard. It even showed their researchers srolling down threads.

Chequeredflag
30th Mar 2008, 20:00
Pau was it's destination - sadly I knew one of the passengers well.......

ACARS
30th Mar 2008, 21:20
Sky News named 2 people on board.

Wikipedia of one of them already updated to reflect the sad news.

RIP

Parapunter
31st Mar 2008, 13:33
Just found out one of the pilots was someone I knew to say good morning to. Absolutely shocked & I wish to pass my condolences to all involved.

Skydrol Leak
31st Mar 2008, 16:14
Just so much rubbish on TV. I had a chance to meet the pilot Mike of this Cessna few months ago, very enthusiastic and friendly all in all great guy and above all; great pilot. He was also involved with selling used military trainers from former Yugoslavia and one of his other main pilots was this Serbian ex-military pilot named Vlado. I just hope he is not the other co-pilot guy yet still unidentified...

RIP

transmitforDF
31st Mar 2008, 17:49
Its so sad when events like this happen :( Mike Chapman was Chief flying instructor at the Real Flying Company down at Shoreham its quite shocking when its only from the flying club next to mine R.I.P

timprice
31st Mar 2008, 18:57
Mike Chapman was a fine chap and i'm sure he will be sorely missed, my heart goes out to his wife.
RIP

NuName
31st Mar 2008, 19:07
I understood that Mike Roberts was the Capt. can anyone confirm, I have known him for many years and need to be sure.

rightbank
31st Mar 2008, 20:17
I remember Mike C well from his days flying the Harvard. A really nice guy and a sad loss. RIP Mike

Pollyana
31st Mar 2008, 21:18
OMG, I knew Mike from years back when I used to fly at Shoreham, wonderful man, lovely sense of humour brolliant flyer.
God rest his soul, and my deepest sympathies to his wife.

MD900 Explorer
31st Mar 2008, 22:34
A sad day indeed for aviation. I did not know Mike Chapman well, but well enough to know he was gentleman and an upstanding pilot. My condolencies go to Kathy and to the families and friends of the the others involved in this horrific accident. :sad:

MD :{

Blues&twos
31st Mar 2008, 22:39
I thought Captain's name was Mike Roberts (not Mike Chapman)...

Apologies if I have missed some information here.

PoloJamie
31st Mar 2008, 22:56
Blues&twos, there were two pilots. The Captain was Mike Roberts, the Co-Pilot was Mike Chapman.

Regards,

Ace Rimmer
1st Apr 2008, 08:54
Mike Chapman - introduced me to the joys of the Chippie and aeros absolutely top bloke. RIP and my deepest sympathy to Kathy

*Zwitter*
1st Apr 2008, 12:53
Condolences to all involved from this Biggin Hill resident.

Many of us are proud of our association with our largest neighbour and feel in a situation like this like we lost one of 'ours'.

Godspeed.

"Our Airport has a town".

flyjerry
1st Apr 2008, 13:16
Mike and I shared Bournemouth digs in the ninties when we completed GFTs and the Instrument Rating at SFT. We became good pals but sadly hadn't seen each other for a number of years for geographical reasons.

Great guy and my thoughts are with Kathy and all the families have who have lost loved ones.

flyinginthesun
1st Apr 2008, 13:30
Mike Chapman was a very nice man - a true gentleman and I feel privileged to have known him. My heart goes out to Kathy and the rest of his family. Be safe in the arms of the angels.

blablablafly
1st Apr 2008, 14:33
Condolances to all involved both crew and pax.........

Opsbeatch
1st Apr 2008, 14:55
Mike Roberts, what a chap. Always on the go but nothing was too much trouble for him.
Mike, you will be sadly missed.
OB

custard guts
1st Apr 2008, 16:25
Just to set the record straight... The Capt was Mike CHAPMAN.

It would seem his brave efforts have been somewhat overlooked.

I knew Mike from Shoreham and the airfield will never be the same again.

Union Jack
1st Apr 2008, 17:39
In amongst the overall sadness, it is perhaps additionally poignant to reflect that two former champions in different areas of motor sport have lost their lives in flying accidents within the past few months, both of them Scots.

Jack

Hasher
1st Apr 2008, 19:39
Very sad news, knew Mike Chapman when I was an instructor at Shoreham a few years ago.
A great loss to all at Shoreham and his family for sure.

RIP buddy.

Hasher

Helipilot1982
2nd Apr 2008, 08:04
Had the pleasure of flying next to Mike Chapman once across the water to France. Really nice guy, one of whom I will miss saying hello to when im flying from Shoreham.

My thoughts go to his family and friends.

Papa Charlie
2nd Apr 2008, 09:05
I flew several times with Mike Chapman when I was a member of the Real Flying Company and needed the necessary currency and 2-year checks. An excellent pilot, great instructor and a true gentleman.
Condolences from Mrs P_C and me to Kathy his wife, and to the families of the others who lost their lives.

DennisK
2nd Apr 2008, 10:54
Just to say I was one of those colleague pilots who knew both Mikes ...even from Mike Robert's 1970s diving days, and later when he was operating the Aztec at SHM in the North Hangar. A charming guy and a man who will be sorely missed by all who knew him, particularly from his more recent Biggin Hill days.

Mike Chapman was an aviation inspiration. He was one of life's true gentlemen .. and an absolute professional. His absence and the loss of his cheery disposition leaves an unhappy void at the 'Fast Helicopters' premises. Shoreham Airport is now a poorer place.

As something of an outsider, and an 'in & out' visitor unrelated to Mike's Real Flying Co business, he was never too busy to stop for a chat, even when about to get airborne.

Likewise dear Kathy ... who always has nothing but a smile and a hug for everyone. Having suffered a similar loss a few years ago, I can tell ppruners that kind words here and from friends, does provide a small amount of comfort at a time when the world around has collapsed.

May God bless both pilots and their passengers. Please comfort Kathy ... offer consolation and solace for the grieving families and friends. Please help them to cope with this awful tragedy.

Rest in peace always.

DRK

helimutt
2nd Apr 2008, 15:49
Don't know why this hit so hard when I heard Mike Chapman had died but it has. Why is it so many good people die in this industry? I met Mike when I worked at Shoreham a few summers ago now. He was a real gentleman. He also took me for my first aerobatics trip in a Pitts S2. Scared the s**T out of me too, bloody good man!!! Some people make a mark in your life I guess and I always had the utmost respect for him.

My condolences to Kathy and all the families involved in this tragic accident.
RIP

Dunbar
2nd Apr 2008, 16:45
Sincere condolences to all who have lost a loved one in this tragedy.

I knew Mike Chapman well...a fantastic pilot and instructor, one of the most experienced on the T-6 in Europe...a kind and gentle man with a fine sense of humour...a loss to UK aviation, and of course to his dear wife Kathy. We are in shock at the RFC, but the show will go on as Mike would have wanted. Neil, Lisa and Kathy will see to that.

His flying suit still hangs up in the office, and he will not be forgotten.

kinsman
2nd Apr 2008, 17:53
Mike Chapman

The Red Lion seems a very empty place! I will miss our evenings together. Saddest day of my life what else can one say?

A more genuine friend I will never have!

mustfly1
2nd Apr 2008, 18:10
Thoughts and prayers to all involved and left behind.

Such a tragic loss

God be with you

Mustfly1

old-timer
2nd Apr 2008, 22:18
Tragic, absolutely tragic, Godspeed Mike, at one with the heavens.

Kindest thoughts for all at this sad, sad time.

X ONE
5th Apr 2008, 05:33
I was lucky enough to be taught to fly by Mike Chapman and cant describe the loss that we're all feeling.. my thoughts are with you Kathy x

What a gent, What A pilot and What a hero

R.I.P. Mate, miss you and will never strap myself into another aircarft without thinking about you:)

flyingfemme
5th Apr 2008, 07:14
Mike Roberts

RIP, Matey.

Jetset41
6th Apr 2008, 23:52
Greetings to all of Mike's friends and family.
There is a book of condolences at Biggin Hill Terminal, which was started today.

Please go along and share your thoughts for this great chap.

Rest in Peace Mike.

jetset41.

toby I RFC
7th Apr 2008, 13:48
i have known mike for a while and could never of found a nicer person

he was an amazing instructor and a very good friend, please all of you who

know Kathy please think of her in this moment in time.

also please realize that this is not an easy time for any of us at Shoreham

and at others that new mike.

thank you

Toby.

toby I RFC
7th Apr 2008, 14:15
no it was the other way around mike C was the pilot

727 exec
7th Apr 2008, 18:51
What a pleasure he was to know...always full of fun and smiling. Flew his Citations many moons ago and he was always ready with a witty comment or four.

See you Matey.

sooty615
8th Apr 2008, 13:52
RIP Matey...you will be missed at Biggin

9th Apr 2008, 15:44
My thoughts go to Kathy, his family and friends.

Thank you for your support and advice when I needed them.

Rudy

Flingingwings
10th Apr 2008, 18:27
Been in receipt of more than one bacon buttie or cooked breakfast at the RFC when I've needed it most :ok:

I can only echo what many others have said about Mike Chapman. A truer gent within aviation you'd struggle to find.

Sympathy and thoughts to Kathy, Neil and Lisa (and all the others at the RFC)

FW

DeaconBlue
10th Apr 2008, 22:17
Only just heard - knew Mike C a little but known Kathy for many years and how happy he had made her. Condolences to all of the families and friends, especially Kathy, Eleena and James... P

GroundGirl
12th Apr 2008, 00:00
Such a well attended service today shows what a well loved man 'Chappers' really was. He leaves a big hole here at Shoreham.

RIP xx

GG xx

727 exec
22nd Apr 2008, 10:02
I've heard his funeral will be on the 28th April in Leatherhead...anybody got the full details please? Thanks

Duck Rogers
22nd Apr 2008, 11:40
Can I suggest that any info on the funeral be shared by PM to known people only?