PDA

View Full Version : Office 2003 Service Pack 3 - why?

Keygrip
1st Apr 2008, 03:37
I was buggering around with my new home build again today - and came across a "Windows Update" button. I clicked it out of devilment, and was informed that there were 39 recommended updates available for my current configuration.

One of these was a "Texas Hold 'Em" poker game, two were about something called "Dreamscape", thirty five were different language versions of things that I had and one - the top one - was "Office 2003 Service Pack 3". It was promoted as very seriously recommended for my system.

Now, this made me curious - as I don't have Office 2003 running in my computer - I *DO*, however, have Office 2007 Ultimate (and I noted in my "update history" that numerous 2007 files had been downloaded in the past).

What you think? Worth downloading 2003 update to run 2007? Sounds very odd to me.

stickyb
1st Apr 2008, 04:37
Just where abouts did you find this button? And what site did it take you to on the web to inform you that all these updates were available?

Are you familiar with the windows auto update scheme? You may have been hoodwinked into going to a "false" site

Bushfiva
1st Apr 2008, 05:05
Texas Hold 'Em and Dreamscape are extras available for Vista Ultimate. THE is US versions only.

Keygrip
1st Apr 2008, 05:42
The button, stickyb, was (still is, lol) in Control Panel - and is, as you suggest, named Windows Update. It didn't go off to a website, it just listed the updates in the standard box in Vista.

Despite having it set to "Auto download any Windows Updates" it seems to have stored this bunch fur my personal choice.

IO540
2nd Apr 2008, 08:11
You can get Office 2003 SP3 as an executable file from Micro$oft. Quite big, about 120MB.

Very handy if your copy of Orifice 2003 does not pass the Windoze Genuine Advantage test ;) I am sure SP4 will do a WGA check before installing, but currently you can get all the Orifice 2003 updates all in one go just by getting this service pack.