PDA

View Full Version : New York,Baggage and the TSA

Tight Accountant
31st Mar 2008, 22:29
These probably qualify as possible daft questions but in for penny, etc. If they are I'll live with the ignominy.

Background. Currently thinking of a shopping trip to New York. I'm aware that retail therapy is normally a female preserve but we'll conveniently ignore this. Questions, since I haven't been to the USA since April 2000.

Q1. Will my possessions be safe when handled by the TSA? In short, will my Levi 501's be in my case when I arrive back at LHR? I'm sure everything will be fine but I would like some reassurance over the whole process.

Q2. I imagine using a Samsonite suitcase isn't a wise move as these are prone to more damage if inspected?

Q3. The parents are asking for various perfume and liquid based products to be purchased on their behalf. Needless to say, if these packed, it is more likely that my case will be opened?

Silly questions I know. Answers and other passenger experiences would be appreciated.

fendant
31st Mar 2008, 22:40
Here are my 2 cts:

a) If you are as fat as most of the TSA guys your clean Levi's will be gone. If you are of average European weight you might have a chance. If you are skinny the bag handlers at JFK will like them.
b) Samsonite is something the TSA morons especially like to break into with their crowbars. They avoid cheap luggage as this is only half the fun.
c) You can easily put perfumes into the Samsonite, this is something the TSA folks do not use ( although it would be a great idea for some of them ).

Frank

Standard Noise
1st Apr 2008, 05:07
Flew through Newark last November. Wife and I shared a 120L sports bag laden down with new boots, jeans, perfume and DC gear for junior. I always lock the bags regardless of where we go and NY is no exception. On retrieving the bags at LHR, found the locks were intact.

jimma
1st Apr 2008, 07:06
It was the same for me. On a trip to NYC in October last year flying through JFK my bag was locked with a combi lock and was untouched by the TSA. However, when we arrived, and when the cases were empty, the TSA did ask us to have a look in the bags so we opened them without getting them broken into.

I always lock my case/bag no matter where I go and USA is no exception.

cavortingcheetah
1st Apr 2008, 08:18
Been through three US airports outbound on international in the last few months, Idlewild, (named after the golf course perhaps?) Dulles and Philadelphia.
Each time the drill was the same. Check in and after check in take massed suitcases to security X ray (or whatever ray) machine. Each time waited until bags had gone through machine telling TSA chaps that we would stand by to open up for them as necessary. No problems and in any event, suitaces always locked or padlocked with those lock straps or padlocks to which the TSA are meant to have the keys.
It really is not a problem but of course, what are you allowed to bring back into the UK free of customs charges? Is it £125 worth of kit per head? Not a lot for two people really, $500?
So your real worry then will be the potential smuggling charge as you pass through the green door at your UK arrival airport with more than that amount of US purchases.:=:p