PDA

View Full Version : Doha

O\ZON
21st Mar 2001, 15:51
Hi there.
Can i start up a rehashed thread.

ive being offered an aviation job in Doha. I am young, single and NOT a pilot. (hence will not get out of there for a breathier very often).
whats the story with accomadation, cost of living, and social activities... etc etc

cheers
O\Z

itwilldoatrip
24th Mar 2001, 18:42
give your e-mail and will reply

DownIn3Green
25th Mar 2001, 05:43
It all depends on what kind of job.

I was "based" in Riyadh in 1996, 97 and 98 and was fortunate to be able to fly in and out on our VIP a/c.

Each time we arrived, the same guys would be there, looking forward to their "annual" vacation.

I respect them, but couldn't be them...

Good Luck whatever you decide....

YPJT_Noodle1Departure
25th Mar 2001, 06:21
Hi There.

So your after more info on Qatar hey.

I used to live there for 5 years and 5 in Kuwait.

Accommodation can vary from some gruby appartement to a villa in a nice compound! ( By that I mean an estate, basically a group of villas with loacal ammenities) It all depends on how much the company is willing to pay for your accom! As your single you will most definately get a flat.. Some are very nice some aren't just depends! When you go over for an interview/ check out the accom before you say yes!

As for cost of living very cheap, eating out is very cheap, fuel is 5p/litre! Taxis are the only public transport and one of those will set you back 4pounds from one end of town to the other. The whole place is about 30mins from one end to the other!
Sports facilities are pretty good but not as good as it's counterparts in DXB/BAH.
Beaches too aren't bad, although some have a substantial rubbish problem (mostly due to locals just throwing stuff onto the beach!)

On the whole not too bad can get a bid boring in summer (very hot) and yes some people are always looking forward to the anual leave!

What company are youi working for out there.
QR/GF, Gulf helicopters?????
If its the later accom aint too bad.

Regards JT

ExSimGuy
25th Mar 2001, 14:23
Annual leave? You should be looking at two tickets home per year (really good companies give 3) and you should check if there are "exit visa requirements" in case you want to make weekend "R&Rs" to Dubai or Bahrein.

------------------
What goes around . . .
. . often lands better!