PDA

View Full Version : Rats.... I've Got The Pox

Cumulogranite
31st Mar 2008, 11:13
Chicken pox to be precise. Despite that fact that I had it as a child, and am sat here itching like i've just had a bath in something very itchy I went to the doctors about it yesterday and got told it was chicken pox. And the NHS being what it is on a Sunday morning I got told bugger all else. So how long does it last, when do I stop being contagious, and how in hell did I get it?

The only plus point is I've been feeling like carp for a few days without being able to put my finger on what is wrong, so at least now I know. I have a face like a teenager am not sleeping and feel miserable, and I was supposed to be flying today as well!! Still there must be a silver lining somewhere........

shlittlenellie
31st Mar 2008, 11:30
Poor little fishy.

gingernut
31st Mar 2008, 21:00
The NHS being what it is..... (don't tell me you went to A+E please ) :)http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/articles/article.aspx?articleID=97

Once the spots come out, you'll start to feel better, but you'll be infectious for 10-14d. 2 weeks of earl grey tea, paracetamol , day time telly and cool baths (try a camomile t-bag in the water) 'll sort it out.

You probably didn't have it as a child, you were probably mis-diagnosed.

Take some photo's to show the grandkids, they'll never come across it. (They'll be vaccinated:))

gingernut
31st Mar 2008, 21:48
PS. d'ya know why it's called "chicken pox?"

Dan Winterland
1st Apr 2008, 00:26
I undersatnd that it's because the small pimples make you look like a plucked chicken. But I suspect someone else may have a less savoury answer!

Note: I said 'plucked'!

henry crun
1st Apr 2008, 02:08
If you think the itch from chicken pox is uncomfortable, just hope and pray it never comes back as shingles.

gingernut
1st Apr 2008, 08:04
Sorry Dan, incorrect.

Cumulogranite
1st Apr 2008, 08:24
Thanks Gingernut. NO I didn't use A&E. Some of us do have some common sense left. I went to the out of hours doctors service. But I think that the quack in question wanted to get home quick as my bum didn't even warm the seat.

She told me that it would be all over in a week, so it will take 2 will it, oh great. I did have it as a kid, I had everything by the age of 8. Mumps was REALLY nasty though, but this, this is just bloody horrible! I itch, I ache, it's stopping me sleeping and I can't go to the pub or go flying. Bloody diseases!!!!

Hawk
9th Apr 2008, 09:09
Maybe somewhat surprising but the blood of adult chicken pox sufferers is worth bottling. Evidently used in the treatment of some forms of childhood leukemia. If you are a currently serving military pilot you are exempt from donation. There would be haematologists that could comment on the chicken pox issue who would know better than I.

DX Wombat
12th Apr 2008, 16:10
blood of adult chicken pox sufferers is worth bottling. Evidently used in the treatment of some forms of childhood leukemia.It is used to make ZIG - Zoster Immune Globulin which is used to give temporary immunity to particularly susceptible / immuno-suppressed, adults and children such as those undergoing chemotherapy. We have used it for for tiny neonates born to mums with Chickenpox, or whose siblings are infected with it.

cloudbasezero
12th Apr 2008, 18:25
Having read this i cant stop scratching :ooh:
Must remember to behave on those night stops :}

A Very Civil Pilot
12th Apr 2008, 18:57
I believe that you can only get chicken pox once. After you have had the infection the virus is present in every cell in your body for life, but is non-contagious, or re-infective as you're immune system keeps on top of it.

Over time the cells in your body are replaced, except for the nerve cells, (and brain cells). If you get a bit run down - well in fact alot run down, you're immune system is unable to keep the virus in check, and it flares up again in the cells where it is present - the nerve cells. It is known as shingles.

As the nerve cells are sensitive to pain, they react to the infection, and essentially hurt like hell.

Elderly people are more prone to it, due to general physical run down associated with age. My mother-in-law manages a rest home, and she says she has seen a resident, who was a wounded, decorated WWII soldier, stiff-upper-lip type of person, cry like a child because the pain is so intense. He was prescribed morphine.

Alternatively, you might not actually have had chicken pox as a child and this is your first infection.

Good luck

SLFJan
12th Apr 2008, 19:48
Hard luck matey :sad:

I had the Chicken Pox when I was in my mid 30's, aledgedly for the second time. Felt dog-rough for a fortnight, when to back to the GP who said, words to the effect, C Pox in adulthood - not funny, have another two weeks. Felt human again after four weeks and back to work I went. (Not aviation)

Chin up, and try not to scratch. Try wearing those cotton gloves they have for babies with excema. It is possible to keep the claws off in daytime, but while asleep.......

Meanwhile, rest up and be glad you ain't got shingles!
all the best

BeechNut
13th Apr 2008, 02:00
I had chicken pox... and mumps... when I was 7 years old. During summer vacation, as Murphy would have it. One after the other. Forget which one came first.

My kids had it once before leaving on a trip as SLF for the West Coast with my wife, to visit the outlaws. I queried my physician wife if it was wise for them to travel when contagious. She said "why not, everyone has to get chicken pox once in their life, might as well they get it over with now"...

Not sure that's in the Hippocratic Oath. Probably has more to do with failing to buy cancellation insurance...

Beech

gingernut
13th Apr 2008, 14:47
'probably a good idea to contain infection fro spreading, as although usually harmless to most people, chickenpox (varicella) can be deadly to those with poor immune symptoms and the unborn child. To be fair, most people are infectious before theyrealise they are ill.

ps it's called "chicken pox" 'cos the pathopeumonic vesicles are said to resembe a chick pea.

smart rrse:)