PDA

View Full Version : ATPL Exams Accommodation

mustflywillfly
31st Mar 2008, 11:11
Hi All,

In yet a further bid to keep costs down, I am trying to work out where the cheapest location to do the ATPL exams would be? I intend to stay during the week so initial travelling distance is not an issue (apart from Glasgow!!).

Any ideas? I need cheap accommodation at the location too, any suggestions?

Must get a shift on as I am intending to do the exams w/c 5 May.

Many thanks

MFWF:ok:

Fastair345
31st Mar 2008, 12:34
I think Cranfield at £999. No idea what the accomodation costs are no doubt someone will let you Know...

gmac1977
31st Mar 2008, 12:38
BnB £12 a night at CATS

mustflywillfly
31st Mar 2008, 16:05
Oooops! Having read my original post again, it doesn't read very clearly.

What I meant to say was that I need accommodation for the ATPL Exams w/c 5 May NOT the groundschool. In other words 4 nights accomm near either Oxford, Gatwick or Shuttleworth.

Anybody got some suggestions or contact details?

Thanks

potkettleblack
31st Mar 2008, 16:09
Loads of posts on this. Do an advanced search in google. Specify www.pprune.org as the site to search and ask for exact matches on keywords such as ATPL exams accommodation. I just got 112 hits for it.

sparks-flying
31st Mar 2008, 18:10
Try the Vulcan Lodge in Horley for the Gatwick exams. I found it very reasonable, rooms were very good and had all important wifi access for the question bank!!!

The owners of the Vulcan Lodge on Massetts Road in Horley (1.5 miles from Gatwick) are prepared to offer the following:

Single rooms (x2) for £ 35.00 per night including continental breakfast (+£2.50 if you want a full English breakfast).

Double rooms (x2) for £ 45.00 per night including continental breakfast (+£2.50 if you want a full English breakfast).

There are no additional parking charges.

Three rooms have en suite facilities and one of the singles has a bathroom / shower just along the landing. The single rooms also have double beds. All rooms have Freeview TV and secure wireless internet access for which you'll need the pass code from Colin. It is the closest guest house to Horley town centre which has Indian, Italian and Chinese restaurants, various take-aways, a couple of pubs and a few stores, including a large Waitrose.

Call Karen at The Vulcan Lodge, Massetts Road, Horley on +44 (0)1293 771522 or e-mail her at [email protected], give my name, tell her you are at Gatwick for the pilot examinations and she will do you a deal. But it only applies during exam times, i.e. Sun - Thu nights for the first full working week of any month.

The Vulcan Lodge is a good 30 minutes walk from Aviation House (being realistic!). Karen has a couple of bicycles so you may be able to borrow one.

SF

mustflywillfly
31st Mar 2008, 18:47
Cheers for the responses guys.

I have had a look at the various threads and it appears that Silsoe College was a popular choice. Am I right in thinking that Silsoe is now called Suttleworth? If so does anyone know if the onsite accommodation still exists?

Sparks - the Vulcan Lodge sounds very reasonable. I get the feeling that there is no parking at the Gatwick exam centre or if there is then it is bloody expensive!

Thanks again :ok:

Whirlygig
31st Mar 2008, 18:51
The Gatwick exam centre is the CAA building (AKA The Belgrano). Parking is plentiful and free. If you get accommodation on the right side of the airport, then it's also very easy to get.

Cheers

Whirls

matt_hooks
31st Mar 2008, 19:04
Musty, the exam venue in Bedfordshire has been moved from it's original location at Silsoe, and over to Shuttleworth. Shuttleworth is not far from Silsoe, right off the A1.

A map to the site is HERE to download as a PDF (http://www.shuttleworth.ac.uk//pge_MainDisplay.cfm?ID=136)

It's on the same site as Old Warden.

There should be plenty of accomodation available nearby.

Good luck with the exams!