PDA

View Full Version : V Australia Product Launch

forgetabowdit
31st Mar 2008, 00:20
Daily Virgin flights from Sydney to LA
Email Print Normal font Large font March 31, 2008 - 10:35AM

Advertisement

The Virgin Blue Group has launched a premium, three class international airline, V Australia, with a daily direct route between Sydney and Los Angeles.

"The trans-Pacific route is in dire need of competition and a good shake-up and that's a challenge we are always keen to take on," Virgin Blue founder Sir Richard Branson said in Sydney on Monday.

"The launch of V Australia means the Virgin Group for the first time will offer a global network of airlines that allows travellers to fly worldwide on Virgin airlines that all share the same vision and commitment to safety, service, fun and flair."

The launch of V Australia will be the first time there has been a second Australian airline competing on the trans-Pacific route.

The launch comes after the Australian and US governments reached an open skies agreement, allowing Australian and US-owned airlines to fly freely between the two countries.

Virgin Blue chief executive Brett Godfrey said V Australia would offer three classes of travel - Business, Premium Economy and Economy.

"V Australia's focus on space, comfort and entertainment, coupled with Virgin Blue's renowned customer service will stand the airline in good stead to compete with the region's best carriers, with the added bonus of lowering the fares," he said.

V Australia will include full service features such as complimentary meals and beverages and "generous" seating.

V Australia says it also will be the only airline on the trans-Pacific route to offer the latest in-flight technology in all cabins so passengers can send and receive SMS text messages and receive emails using GPRS devices such as BlackBerrys and mobile phones.

V Australia says it will set up its Australian operations in Sydney, at a total coast of $44 million.

"V Australia Airlines is a multi-billion dollar investment for the Virgin Blue Group of Airlines and it's not one we have taken lightly," Mr Godfrey said.

"Today's announcements are the first of many and we have every intention of bringing revolutionary change not just to the trans-Pacific route but across the region."

The new Sydney-LA route will begin on December 15, 2008.

© 2008 AAP

Kangaroo Court
31st Mar 2008, 00:58
Good luck to all that are involved in this venture.

Dropt McGutz
31st Mar 2008, 01:28
Any firm word on pay scales yet?

Phlap1
31st Mar 2008, 03:57
Branson quote

V Australia will have the newest aircraft and the best pilots, yadda yadda.

The best pilots will not come at the prices indicated thus far.

V Australia will be paying the lowest take home pay of virtually
any B777 operator on earth.

Perhaps Sir Richard will be sending his B777's into space, which
would then qualify them as the best pilots off earth.

Sorry I'm confused, there's so much hype in the world nowdays.

Buster Hyman
31st Mar 2008, 08:42
V Australia will have the newest aircraft and the best pilots....
...at these pay rates!:E

blackbird71
31st Mar 2008, 14:10
tell me it aint true........................................................ ............................................................ ............................................................ ............................................................ ...........:{:{:{:ugh::ugh::ugh::mad:

Wiley
31st Mar 2008, 14:55
If the base pay I was told is correct, I suspect the expat Australians, endorsed and otherwise, will be staying away in droves.

Underwhelming, to say the least.

I suspect there'll be a lot of "itzapleazures" over the airwaves from Kanga flights, 'cos the poor bloody Yapeas want out of SA at any price and will take whatever's on offer.

Kangaroo Court
31st Mar 2008, 21:10
They'll be happy for a short time...then feel like they're getting shafted when they look around and see what they just did to themselves.

"Poor pity meeeee!"

Howard Hughes
31st Mar 2008, 21:24
If the base pay I was told is correct, I suspect the expat Australians, endorsed and otherwise, will be staying away in droves.
Sadly there will be no shortage of people willing to accept the amount on offer!

hongkongfooey
1st Apr 2008, 01:22
Very true Hughesy, unfortunately ( for Oz aviation ) plenty of widebody drivers in this part of the world that have made their fortune and ready to head home for early retirement. ( when I say retirement, referring to the pension type pay, not the roster :suspect: )

request deferred
1st Apr 2008, 20:47
"dire need of competition and a good shake up"

I agree that competition is a good thing but Virgin group historically poaches profitable routes rather than 'saving' the public as claimed ( LHR-JFK, LHR-HKG-SYD and now SYD-LAX)...i.e. let the incumbent airlines wear the risk of route development then Virgin comes along to poach and skim the fat. Next they'll be 'saving' us on SYD-JNB......why not SYD-NGO or KIX, oh that's right they're not profitable routes!..no competition needed there huh!?

It's all spin Ladies and Gentlemen :ugh:

Going Boeing
1st Apr 2008, 21:00
request deferred

Agree with your post. In addition, Virgin Atlantic is doing very nicely on the London-Shanghai route and has extensively lobbied the British Government to prevent any new operators on the route - in particular Qantas, despite being given rights Hong Kong to Sydney. Their lobbying has been very successful to the extent that the recent Open Skies agreement between Britain and Australia had one significant exclusion ie routes via China to Britain.

Branson would have to be the best spin doctor in the world.

jetblues
1st Apr 2008, 23:14
I've heard that at the Cruise FO interviews when candidates are asking about upgrades they are being told they can expect to transfer to B737 or EMB170 domestic fleet as FO's rather than upgrade on the B777.

Watch the fine print carefully, and note Q & A carefully.

By the way domestic crew are hearing zip at present.

intotheblue
5th Apr 2008, 04:18
Hey JB maybe that's so the Cruise FO's can get experience to then be able to upgrade on the 777's ?

But get your drift about the fine print :ok:

sprucegoose
5th Apr 2008, 21:09
Under the terms of the current domestic EBA I'd say that is not a given. Though space may be made for SO's in the 737/E-Jet fleet, they will then be competeing with the rest of the VB pilots for a 777 right/left seat. Of course having said that there may not be much competition if the T&C's are not good and they won't be.

Remember VB and V Oz are two seperate companies and VB pilots only have a letter/deed of agreement that allows SOME pilots to go across to the 777. Having been forced to produced this letter for the EBA agreement VB will simply manage the flow of pilots wanting to go to the 777 by making the conditions so poor for 777 flying that many of us will just stay where we are as it won't be worth it, deed or no deed.

SilverSleuth
5th Apr 2008, 22:00
Whether or not it is a given, I can absolutely confirm that at the current interviews JFOs are being told by those interviewing they WILL be moving to the EMBs as FOs for experience for a period as yet unknown. Weather this means they then stay there to get initial commands on the EMB/737 who knows? All this is news though to VB flight OPS who didn't even know this is what is being told to prospective pilots.

In the end though if Management told VB FLT ops they will take them in as FOs then I would think they will have no choice in the matter. Nothing in the current EBA stops the introduction of new FOs from anywhere.

Capt Kremin
5th Apr 2008, 22:10
I was told the rate for a cruise F/O was 40k p.a. for CPL only, rising to 60K for pilots with an ATPL.

Considering a QF S/O can be on twice that or more in a relatively short time after joining the company, who is going to put up their hands for V Australia?

QF rejects maybe?

ContactMeNow
5th Apr 2008, 23:02
I was told the rate for a cruise F/O was 40k p.a. for CPL only, rising to 60K for pilots with an ATPL.

Considering a QF S/O can be on twice that or more in a relatively short time after joining the company, who is going to put up their hands for V Australia?

QF rejects maybe?

Aspiring CPLs whos parents are "well off"...

"well my little johnny is an airline pilot"

For $40k/yr they can have their jet job! I get paid more flying around in S/E bug-smashers! Ohh and im actually flying as well!

CMN

CAPTBOB
8th Apr 2008, 06:25
Request Deferred and Going Boeing

Clearly you guys are new to the industry. You should get a copy of the textbook, "How to building an Airline in a regulated, no competition environment", writed by Qantas.

It covers such topics as 'The two airline policy" and "Ansett can be an International carrier as long as it doesnt fly anywhere that Qantas does"

KRUSTY 34
8th Apr 2008, 07:38
Did anyone ask the interview panel why a VOZ second officer cannot simply be upgraded to F/O on the 777 when the time arrives?

I mean, isn't that what every other airline does?

dirty deeds
8th Apr 2008, 10:04
For those interested and heading for interviews,

Ask if staff travel is available on VB (if you want to commute)?

Ask if staff travel is available on VAus and if Business Class is available
to staff (at VB pilots are not allowed to sit in Premium Economy on staff or
duty travel)?

Ask what the food being served to the crew is going to be, will business
class food not consumed be available to the crew?

Ask what type of hotel accomodation is going to be used and will the
rosters be min rest at each out-port?

Will sim/paxing and ground duties be paid for and contribute to duty, at
VB they are not?

When paxing, will business class be available. At VB, all duty travel,
whether international or domestic is always in economy.

Get the facts, make the choice and enjoy the job. Gotta love aviation.

Not confirmed, Capt $210K includes super

VB Capt package $200 app. + super

Living the Dream

Enema Bandit's Dad
8th Apr 2008, 10:29
Will you have to pay for your own Jepps? :yuk:

dirty deeds
8th Apr 2008, 11:31
Would not be surprised!

teresa green
8th Apr 2008, 15:23
It has a cheeky little tail on it. Looks a mongrel bred between QF and AN. Must be getting up QF's nose.

SilverSleuth
15th Apr 2008, 08:10
Well the first successful guys for the JFO have been called and the salary is officially out. $54 for a JFO, AWA, 1000 hrs per/year, no assurance on the promotion. (as in 777 fo or EMB fo)... Mmmmmm

permFO
15th Apr 2008, 08:43
I thought that AWA's were no longer legal?

Howard Hughes
15th Apr 2008, 08:59
Individual agreements were legal before work choices and they are still legal after!

Only the name has been changed to protect the innocent!:rolleyes:

intake
15th Apr 2008, 12:09
And for those without a 777 rating- how much are they charging you? :D

wirgin blew
15th Apr 2008, 13:02
What impact will the Delta merge with NW affect V Australia's code-share arrangements? Would you expect to see an increase in on-carriage from the merger?

ANstar
15th Apr 2008, 22:13
NW and V Aus DON'T have a code share arrangement - all they have is an interline agreement (Something most airlines have with each other)