PDA

View Full Version : 1250 for Retired Personnel

meadowbank
30th Mar 2008, 09:08
Since retiring from the RAF in 1997, I have heard several rumours that a 1250 (or equivalent) is available for retired personnel, thus enabling potential use of on-base facilities and (particularly in US) military discounts.

Can anyone confirm or scotch this rumour and, if available, where do I apply?

BEagle
30th Mar 2008, 09:21
That nice Mr Brown will soon force all citizens of his Brave New Order to hold ID cards in any case, so why bother?

Besides, the Yankee Dollar is worth so little these days that anyone from the UK can buy anything they want at a low price in the US without needing to ask for military discount.

1.3VStall
30th Mar 2008, 09:31
Meadowbank,

You can get a RAF Retired Service Card (with photo) through RAFA, contact Membership Central HQ, 117 Loughborough Rd, Leicester LE4 5ND, tel 0116 266 5224.

Two-Tone-Blue
30th Mar 2008, 10:14
I have used my RAFA Card in the past to get Mil Discount in the USA.

However, they now seem to be a little more stringent and emphasise serving military - that was certainly the case last October.

mike_alpha_papa
30th Mar 2008, 14:26
Or you could become a "Serpent" and have a Royal Air Force Civilian Identity Card.

Worked for me in a couple of places in the States.

Union Jack
30th Mar 2008, 14:32
Out of interest, do our friends in dark blue, lovat,and khaki have any equivalent to the RAF Retired Service Card, please?

Jack

Monty77
30th Mar 2008, 15:47
Not sure about UK, but Canada look after their folks well. Full-on Reservists card giving you access to all the discounts online or in the States.

Small price to pay if you've done your time as a NATO potato. It can also matter if you live somewhere odd and access to all that Uncle Sam can offer will make a difference.

wobble2plank
30th Mar 2008, 16:07
Just been to Florida and any park owned by Anhauser Busch are 'Supporting the Heroes' which includes ANY current or retired US/UK military personnel.

The upshot of this?

fast tracked to the ticket desk at Seaworld and Busch Gardens to find my $140 per person tickets for me and my family were given at a discount of ....... 100% :D

Yep, free, gratis, nowt.

Now that is supporting your troops mr two hats Des.

P.S. This theme of discounts, freebies and fast track carried on throughout the entire stay. The Americans appreciate your support be it current or former. Any proof of military service is acceptable.

Enjoy

W2P

Monty77
30th Mar 2008, 17:29
Well that sums it up. Armed Forces Day?

Mnice and somehow appropriate. If you've served your country for 'X' years, then show some pay back. Travel, concessions, whatever. Given the outrageous travel claims of our sitting Members of Parliament (Hallo Nose, this is Trough, over.), I don't think the odd bus pass is having a laugh.

Stateside, most of the time it's private companies who take the view that they like their own country and those who volunteer to protect it. True, volunteer to be a soldier, and expect to die. You made the choice. But it's hardly well paid. True also, you could have been a construction worker for the same money. But that's that's not the same because a construction worker can say no.

The United States population has a far better general regard for the men and women that serve to protect it. It is a humbling example to Europe and Britain in particular that has a martial tradition whereby someone in your extended family served in some branch of the military.

I'm afraid we're losing that connection in the UK, look at the current debates about uniform in public.

A great pity. The House of Commons has fewer people who once served in the Armed Forces and it shows.

Sospan
30th Mar 2008, 17:42
That nice Mr Brown will soon force all citizens of his Brave New Order to hold ID cards in any case, so why bother?

Besides, the Yankee Dollar is worth so little these days that anyone from the UK can buy anything they want at a low price in the US without needing to ask for military discount.

Ever the helpful BEagle.:mad:

buoy15
30th Mar 2008, 17:50
Beags
Have you got your Gold Enameled Veterans Badge?

maycli
30th Mar 2008, 19:18
Sat in a diner 2 weeks ago in Florida. In came an old chap wearing a hat denoting ex Vietnam. A couple of guys went over to him, talked for a couple of minutes, and as they were going indicated to the staff that they were paying for the old chaps meal as a thank you.

kokpit
30th Mar 2008, 20:56
Or you could become a "Serpent" and have a Royal Air Force Civilian Identity Card.

That would be fine and dandy, if they still did them, another cost saving measure I believe. :ugh:

meadowbank
31st Mar 2008, 06:56
Thanks to all, especially to 1.3VStall for the address. It's true that we should do more for serving and ex-military in the UK. I never got shot at in anger in my 20 yrs, but I was prepared to stick my neck out and lost plenty of friends to Cumulogranite and the North Sea. My current job doesn't take me Stateside but it will feel good to get some perks if/when I next travel there.

Happy Landings :ok:

meadowbank
31st Mar 2008, 07:52
Following up earlier posts, I have discovered that the Anheuser-Busch scheme for free entry to their theme parks has been extended to the end of 2008. Limk below.....

http://www.livingorlando.com/2007/12/26/anheuser-busch-extends-military-tribute/ :D

Anybody from Thorpe Park, Alton Towers, Chessington, Madame Tussaud's, etc reading this?

Wader2
31st Mar 2008, 11:05
That would be fine and dandy, if they still did them, another cost saving measure I believe. :ugh:

I believe the RAF Civilian Identity card and the RAF Dependent Identity card did not have an equivalent in the Army or Navy. With the introduction of the Joint Service ID the Civilian and Dependents cards were no longer issued.

sparkie
31st Mar 2008, 21:09
You might also want to consider joining British Veterans which issues a recognition card with photo which shows your ex rank on it. The card also entitles you to various savings with participating companies such as car hire, wine stores, holiday companies etc. Simon Weston supports the card.

I joined a couple of years ago and have used the card several times to gain some discounts, if you are interested have a look at www.britishveterans.co.uk

Zoom
7th Apr 2008, 20:58
While serving and ex-serving Brits are discussing what deals they can get from the Yanks, what deals can the serving and ex-serving Yanks get from us Brits? Quid pro quo and all that.

mystic_meg
7th Apr 2008, 21:04
what deals can the serving and ex-serving Yanks get from us Brits?
Well, 30p more gets them 'supersized' for starters...:ok:

davejb
7th Apr 2008, 21:11
Well,
serving US personnel have done quite well in the UK in the past, as my old latin master Tex Hardbottle (born late 1944) would often point out....

I think there should be a veteran's 1250, it should be reversible - on one side it should list inflated military accomplishments and carry a recognisable (just) but flattering photo of the bearer in heavily braided uniform (photoshop it - saves the faff of nipping to ground photo), this could be presented at times like the present when the military are highly regarded by civvy st. The flip side could have a somewhat less flattering picture (your face superimposed on a shot of Pete Docherty perhaps, photoshop again) and say something like 'Bill Smith, Pianist, Joe's Brothel' for the other 8 or 9 decades in the century.....

Dave

Shack37
7th Apr 2008, 21:11
Zoom

They get the quid and leave us with the pro quo:ok:

teeteringhead
8th Apr 2008, 12:43
You could always support your local ATC (spece cadet variety) as an adult volunteer and get a CFAV (Cadet Forces Adult Volunteer) ID card which is almost identical to 1250/MoD90 ......

Monty77
8th Apr 2008, 16:47
Zoom

It's a one-way street. Wrong, I know. Lakenheath and Mildenhall are examples of how the military should treat their personnel abroad, and accurately reflects how the U.S looks after its' personnel. It shames the rest of NATO into er, shame. If I was U.S. mil on tour in Europe, I would plug into US bases, as they are far better, and let's face it, rattle accommodation at, say Cottesmore, is not impressive, even if you do get past the civvy jobsworth on the gate with your U.S. ID.

During my time in, I always tried the best I could to make things good for visiting NATO mates, as it always embarrassed me how badly we hosted foreign mates. And how well they looked after us Brits when in their countries. Moosejaw will always remain a two week blur!

The worst example I recall was when I met two Belgian helicopter pilots in the bar of Lydd Airport, Kent. They were waiting for a 3 day fog to clear in Belgium. They flew to Lydd (civvy) in disgust from Portsmouth(mil), I believe, because a Navy Lt Cdr objected to their 'rig' (flying suits) in the bar of the Mess (Wardroom). They were stranded aircrew for f*ck's sake. Yet Navy mate insisted rules were rules. To be fair, the Fleet Air Arm on hand had tried to make amends, to no avail. I actually gave them cash and said sorry.

Doubtless the same pair are trying it on at say, Southend, as we speak, but I doubt it.

BDiONU
8th Apr 2008, 17:08
I was never asked for my 1250 back when I retired in Jan 2000 ;)

BD

D O Guerrero
9th Apr 2008, 14:46
The rules when I left the dockyard a couple of years back were that officers were trusted to destroy their own ID cards. Not sure if this is still the case? Obviously I immediately shredded mine. Honest. Those with lesser scruples could try hanging onto theirs to take advantage of military discounts etc.

Monty77
14th Apr 2008, 18:45
Come off it DOG.

Do you also still think submarines are, 'underwater, underhand, and damned un-British'?

If you've served your 16 or 22, I think you're entitled to the odd discount from those parts of the retail world who value what you've done.

Students get discounts. Why? In most cases, the only reason they study is so that they can command higher salaries later in life.

Rigga
18th Apr 2008, 20:54
Handed the proper one in at the appointed time and got a "Retired" one later - never used it - it's just a cracked-up old non-credit card in my back pocket - less use than a Nectar card!

Monty77
20th Apr 2008, 17:56
Rigga

Much obliged if you would PM me with details of your 'retired' ID.

I have a mate (let's call him Dave, because that's not actually his name) where I am who retired a few years ago, but who would benefit from said ID in order to update his weber at the mighty fine Spam base here now and again. Dave was a techie on a fast jet fleet somewhere in UK. Give it a couple of years and you'll nail him..

Cheers.

D O Guerrero
21st Apr 2008, 18:38
What are you prattling on about Monty? I only left 18 months ago and still have my id card. I'm stating a fact not an opinion - that was the policy. I'm not sure if it still is. There was a DCI on the subject, or whatever it is they're called these days.

GalleyTeapot
22nd Apr 2008, 18:00
No such thing as a 1250 anymore, my recent replacement ID card is an MOD Form 90 (Revised 04/05)

RETDPI
22nd Apr 2008, 20:07
Wasn't that the old Army ID?

GalleyTeapot
23rd Apr 2008, 06:59
Yes Army ID has always been MOD Form 90. The navy had something else and of course we had 1250. Some Wg Cdr/Lt Col/Cdr must have proposed a change and been duly promoted for it! :rolleyes:

ShyTorque
23rd Apr 2008, 07:14
It never ceases to impress that you can serve twenty year or more in the British services and get nowt.

However, if you introduce someone to SkyTV you get £50 worth of M&S vouchers.

Dan D'air
23rd Apr 2008, 09:03
If you ask for an insurance quote fron Sun Alliance, you get a free Parker pen, which must be worth at least £5.79. It does have their logo on though, which is a bit pikey when you are doing the Telegraph crossword whilst traversing the pond.

The Adjutant
23rd Apr 2008, 12:10
If you walk in to any RAuxAF HQ and ask nicely they will arrange a real 1250 (F Mod90) for you although it will say RAF Reserves on it. Not only that but they will give you a uniform and encourage you to wear it at weekends when you visit them. You can also spend your holidays from work wearing the uniform when you visit RAF stations. Of course they might call you up and send to to somewhere nasty, but hey, you've done all that before so no problem. You get paid as well. Can't be bad.

ShyTorque
23rd Apr 2008, 13:13
If you walk in to any RAuxAF HQ and ask nicely they will arrange a real 1250 (F Mod90) for you although it will say RAF Reserves on it

Hey, Adj, I still have a reserve commitment, till 55; whether I like it or not, it said so in my terms. If they want me they will call me up - if they can find me. Last time they contacted me through my bank and offered me a helicopter flight every month AND the bus fare from Luton airport plus about thirty quid a day. Shame it would have cost me £1200 every time I went to work.

Next time they asked me to join up again they told me they would kindly keep my pension already earned safe for me (and not give it back).

Monty77
23rd Apr 2008, 18:30
Sorry D O G,

I got the wrong end of the stick and thought you considered it wrong to hang on to your 1250. You obviously don't, just like me!:ok:

Still think we should have reserve id if we have a reserve commitment to age 55, like I have.

fantaman
24th Apr 2008, 13:15
Slightly off the original subject but never the less. I was looking at booking flights to New York for a shopping holiday with the better half. BA and Aer Lingus have now stopped giving any sort of discount to the military :*

Looks like its now only Virgin and BMi where we are rewarded.