View Full Version : Accomodation Dubai

ETOPS MAN
3rd Mar 2001, 07:11
Anyone know of a good hotel in Dubai that extends an Industry Rate to Airline staff?

ITman
3rd Mar 2001, 14:28
If you are planning to go in March forget it, as it the annual Shopping Festival for the entire month and the hotels will be full of full fare tenants. Suggest you go April or May as the weather is still nice.

------------------

ETOPS MAN
4th Mar 2001, 00:02
ITman

Don't have a choice at this stage as flights already booked. will be in Dubai 23-26 March.
Shopping festival? Better not tell my wife!

I realise that it is the high season as the internet search shows rather expensive room rates, just thought there maybe a good hotel around that will still extend a good airline rate regardless?

sledgedog
4th Mar 2001, 04:15
I've been in DXB a few times just for vacation. Stayed at SAS Radisson - nice hotel but too far away from downtown for me. City Centre Hotel, Deira - a little more expensive, aprox. $90 as I remember for 2 beds, I liked that hotel - really nice I think. I got airline discount by calling their reservations directly. Look for their number at www.sofitel.com (http://www.sofitel.com)

Brgds Ole

ITman
4th Mar 2001, 06:09
I agree the SAS is a good hotel, suggest you look at the Emirates site, they are advertising hotel rooms at US$ 33 per night, not sure what the terms and conditions are.

------------------

mutt
4th Mar 2001, 10:32
ETOPSMAN

This is getting a little off topic, but I meant to ask you last week when I saw both your Dispatch and Pilot qualifications, what are you trying to find in the Gulf?

As stated in the Emirates topic, the dispatch salaries are pretty disappointing. There is a limited amount of aviation in DXB and I would sincerely doubt that EK allows people to transition from Flight Dispatch to Flying unless you are an UAE national.

Can anyone actually in DXB pass comment on this.

Check out www.mydsf.com (http://www.mydsf.com) for the shopping festival, plus EK are advertising rooms for $33 per night during the festival.

I wish you the best.

Mutt

ETOPS MAN
4th Mar 2001, 14:13
MUTT

Thanks for the info, looks like the package deals beat any other prices I can find by going direct.....seems things are busy also at this time of the year in DXB!

Sorry if I have confused you, but dispatchers downunder usually hold a minimum qualification of Commercial Pilot level, or at least the subjects as well as instrument theory papers. As we do not have a licence such as the FAA Dispatchers licence this then becomes the standard with flight Planning and Meteorology papers upto ATPL level.

We dont do load sheets, most of the work involved is flight plan production and etops flight watch, which I thought would be a big asset with Emirates as most of their fleet are twins!

We are payed well compared to our Northern hemisphere partners but only because a dispatchers role is different in the UK, yet we are payed not so good compared to our US friends at United for similiar duties!
(a Green card would be nice!)

I am hoping that such positions exist with Emirates???

mutt
5th Mar 2001, 01:02
Thanks for the Ozzie info EM, i was just going to advise you that the European route of Dispatch to Flying may not be available in the ME.

That EK hotel deal is $33 PER PERSON.

Enjoy DXB and make sure you get the wife some gold.

Rgds.

Mutt

ETOPS MAN
5th Mar 2001, 01:48
Mutt

Not an ozzie.....how dare you!
I am a bird who cannot fly!

Hope to enjoy DXB. Not sure about gold prospecting! Unless employment comes my way!
With US tax free dollars!!!!!!!