PDA

View Full Version : Earth Hour

Put1992
29th Mar 2008, 20:56
Are you guys doing it?

Lon More
29th Mar 2008, 21:10
First I've heard of it. Maybe they should have publicised it better - put it up in lights, so to speak :p

rotorcraig
29th Mar 2008, 21:23
First I heard of it was when the Google home page went black this morning, in support of Earth Hour.

But they go on to explain:

...our own analysis as well as that of others (http://blogs.wsj.com/numbersguy/does-a-darkened-google-really-save-electricity-104/) shows that making the Google homepage black will not reduce energy consumption. To the contrary, on flat-panel monitors (already estimated to be 75% of the market), displaying black may actually increase energy usage. Detailed results (http://techlogg.com/content/view/360/31/) from a new study confirm this.

:ok:

RC

Two's in
29th Mar 2008, 21:37
Surely the obvious drawback of using electronic means to highlight an energy saving initiative is tha

west lakes
29th Mar 2008, 21:47
from youtube (obviously)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qczUcQ-VjM

Put1992
29th Mar 2008, 22:15
It did prove that it's very easy to get along without having any lights switched on. We had several candles lit anway, so they lit up the lounge, but what primarily did it was the television! Kind of defied the point, but i now know i can get along without the light bulb!

Beatriz Fontana
29th Mar 2008, 22:59
This will be the complete waste of effort in which key city landmarks are in the dark yet all the office lights and streetlights remain on! Barking.

My dad came up with a wise observation. We had a housing boom here in which lots of new properties were built on flood plains, mainly because the doom merchants were saying global warming would mean hot dry summers and a Med climate. What happened to all those properties last summer? They were flooded out...

BlueWolf
30th Mar 2008, 00:22
What a complete crock. I turned on every last damned light and appliance I could think of, so there.

redsnail
30th Mar 2008, 00:53
I had some champagne. :ok:

Dushan
30th Mar 2008, 01:31
All the lights are on, the dishwasher is on pot scrubbing cycle, the oven is on clean cycle, the dryer is on full blast, the washer is on.

Doing what again? Feeling self righteous about doing something that achieves nothing. No thanks.

PyroTek
30th Mar 2008, 02:09
Heyyyy, they should have earth hour during the day so people don't get inconvenienced by being in the dark!

Krystal n chips
30th Mar 2008, 05:20
"it's very easy to get along without any lights switched on "...........

Certainly is and I can think of several "managers" who have proved this theory conclusively..... :E

ampan
30th Mar 2008, 07:05
A complete load of arse: Power consumption in Auckland went up during the magic hour. But not in Bangkok, according to the news: They turned off the power, and lit fires - to help with global warming?!!!

(PS - Global warming is also a load of arse.)

sprocket
30th Mar 2008, 08:44
Moral of the story.

If the lights were on, nobody was home.

Put1992
30th Mar 2008, 10:13
Moral of the story.

If the lights were on, nobody was home.

:D

I think that's summed up all our thoughts on it.

It was a complete waste of time. Yes the lights were out....but my laptop, television, washing machine, desktop computer, and central heating were all on.

Enough said:ok:

Binoculars
30th Mar 2008, 11:08
Figures bandied around suggest that power consumption in Brisbane went down 12% during that hour. That may or may not be true, but so what if it is?

I'm no scientific genius, but in my simple mind I imagined that greenhouse gases come from the production of electricity, not the consumption of it, so to achieve anything except a warm inner glow, wouldn't the power stations have to shut down for the hour?

I'm not dogmatic about this, I haven't googled anything and I'm happy to be shot down if I am completely misguided.

Pinky the pilot
30th Mar 2008, 12:00
Had intended to turn on all our garden and festive lights at the back of the house at the appropriate hour but completely forgot about it!:O

Was too busy watching 'Doc Martin' on the ABC whilst massaging Mrs Pinky's back!:D

rotornut
30th Mar 2008, 16:46
This made more sense than turning out the lights for an hour:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=cb7_1206812118

green granite
30th Mar 2008, 17:01
Will there be a baby boom in 9 months time. :E

Rollingthunder
30th Mar 2008, 21:09
We did it. Reduced power consumption by a couple of percentage points.

Calgary on the other hand increased power useage.