PDA

View Full Version : Type II Diabates, is a Class 1 medical possible?

PIELORD
29th Mar 2008, 19:39
Hi

Like many on this forum I dreamt of being a commercial pilot. I finally took the plunge so to speak, and arranged to undertake the Class one Medical at Gatwick, at which I received some unwelcome news.

Having failed my initial Class One medical last week as a result of a high glucose level in my blood stream. Subsequent tests at my GP and local hospital have confirmed that I am suffering from Type II Diabetes.

Despite searching on pprune I am still unclear on the following points;

Is it possible to hold a unrestricted Class One whilst on metoformin?

If so what stable level of glucose level would need to be established? < 7.5mmol?

If any body is able to clarify these points I would be very grateful.

Any fellow ppruners with experience of my situation who would care to share their experiences are very welcome to pm or respond.

Get me some traffic
29th Mar 2008, 21:37
I am an ATCO and was diagnosed with type II about 7 years ago. It was picked up at an annual medical. I went to Gatwick and the medics allowed me to continue with an unrestricted Class I medical as long as I stabilised my glucose levels with diet alone. I do not take any medication for the diabetes. I keep my HbA1c below 8 and most of the time below 7. I have 3 monthly checks with my GP who reports to Gatwick via my AME yearly. Sometimes it is hard reaching the required figures, especially after Christmas but so far I have managed. I also have to keep my cholestoral below 4 and my BP below 120/90. All the above means that I have to exercise regularly and to keep my weight down, easier said than done.

rubik101
30th Mar 2008, 14:56
Diet and exercise is the first thing to look at. As mentioned above, overweight and high blood pressure, along with a bad diet and too much sugar will almost inevitable lead to Type II Diabetes.
Fix these first before you go the drugs route. I am managing to keep my numbers below 7mg/ml simply by following these rules.
Good Luck

PIELORD
30th Mar 2008, 19:30
Thank you to "rubik" and "get me some traffic" for their input, it is appreciated and you have given me some more to work with.

Granny
9th Apr 2008, 09:36
A recent medical I did revealed a fasting Glucose level of 5.9 , I was wondering is this borderline type 2 diabetes? What is the maximum fasting level to be diagnosed as such?

kui2324
9th Apr 2008, 10:27
To answer your question about Metformin - you could get a Class 1 as long as the CAA medical dept are happy with your Diabetic control and you have no other complications from it, but it would have to have 'Valid Only As Or With Qualified Co-Pilot’ ie an Operational Multi-crew Limitation (OML) on it.

2close
10th Apr 2008, 11:57
How can you have an OML on a medical wihout first having a CPL?

The purpose of the OML is to allow experienced pilots to continue flying professionally when medical conditions develop and not to permit untrained persons with medical conditions to enter the pilot training pot.

I don't agree with this; it's just what I was told by Gatwick when questioning whether an OML can be issued to someone with a different medical condition to that mentioned above.

I would dearly love someone to tell me they have been advised otherwise for different medical conditions as this bolsters the argument significantly.

Look forward to the replies.

2close

PIELORD
25th Feb 2009, 20:04
Just FYI for anyone looking at this post .....I have spoken to the medical team at gatwick who inform me that an initial class one is not possible whilst taking medication for Type 2 Diabetes, although renewals are and subject to OML. An initial class one can only be issued to a diabetic who controls their condition with diet and excercise. I hope this is of some help...

Bigbangman
27th Feb 2009, 17:12
I was interested to read this thread. I was not aware that type 2 and metformin basically means no class 1 initial medical. Had hopes one day of being an instructor but thats blown it. Seems a bit unfair that just because you already have a class 1 the renewal is not as strict. Could there be a case for disability discrimination here ??

Can anyone tell me what the position is with the other medicals class 2 etc regarding type 2 controlled by tablets.

Also interested what the blood pressure limits are for a class 2 if anyone knows. As many years of body abuse means that in my 50's I'm on the usual tablets to control blood pressure.

Looks like flying could be a dead duck for me in the future.

Looking forward to hera from you.

:=:=:=:=
Regards

goatface
27th Feb 2009, 17:42
I have type 2 and it's diet controlled, I have my annual medical plus an annual trip to Gatwick for an assessment with the CAA, no big dramas - its just the same as an ATPL requiring two medical assessments a year.

I concur with what has been posted, keeping weight down and moderate degree of fitness is essential along with being sensible about diet and lifstyle.

I'm an ATCO and as such the CAA were happy for me to take part inthe World Health Organisation trial for type 2 diabetics over 40 to take statins and blood pressure tablets.
I understand that pilots who are required to take the BP tablets may have restrictions placed upon them, in the vast majority of cases this is a two crew requirement.

As for taking tablets to control type 2, pilots and atcos alike take them but the CAA need to approve them before you undertake operational duties.

I have found that the CAA Medical Branch to be nothing less than outstanding with help, advice and encouragement, my GP's surgery have been able to liase with them with no problem and I couldn't have asked for a better service.