PDA

View Full Version : Anyone help re obtaining tickets Dubai - Doha?

Thud_and_Blunder
2nd Mar 2001, 13:37
Would anyone with intimate knowledge of the air travel business around the Middle East please help this resident of Brunei with an answer to my question? I'm planning on visiting Doha, with a stop in Dubai to obtain the necessary visa. I thought I'd try a Google search to find a guide to obtaining/pricing tickets, but - probably due to my lack of computer savvy - haven't had much success.

Would anyone please be kind enough to post a suitable link or 3 that'll let me find reasonable rates for a 6-night round trip Dubai-Doha-Dubai? I've found the Emirates/Qatar/Gulf timetables online, but not much else of use.

Thanks

pontius's pa
2nd Mar 2001, 19:57
you are very unlikely to get a package.

Without a sponsor it is very hard to get a visitor's visa to Doha, although Qatar Airways do claim that any one arriving on their flight can get a visa on arrival. haven't tried it, but have heard that success is somewhat variable. Immigration facilities in Doha, including the officials, are primitive and unpredictable.

For DXB/DOH/DXB, fare around US300. QR have a GSA in Manila and Bangkok so maybe you should take as nice holiday in one of those two places to seek further info.

Hotac around US200 a night rack rate. Walk in discounts unlikely, but again try QR. Doha Sheraton not bad, Ramada poor quality and Sofitel a doss house. Avoid the Doha Palace at all costs. There is a newly renovated Marriott which I am told is not bad. By far the most interesting is the Oasis, best lobby, occasionally frequented by Russian ladies, and a reasonable Chinese restaurant.

Personally like Doha. Best Corniche by far in the Gulf, and the locals, ie Qataris, are OK.

Do not drive under any circumstances unless you can afford to hire a Land Cruiser for self defense, don't mind charging into a two lane roundabout from a three lane highway, confident that you won't hit a local who under any circumstances will not give way to you.

Let us know how you get on

cheers

Thud_and_Blunder
3rd Mar 2001, 04:32
Pilate snr,

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I already have the accommodation and visa side under control - I'm staying with an oppo while I take a look at a specific employment opportunity - it's getting hold of the DXB-DOH-DXB tickets that is the problem. Is it reasonably straightforward to get this kind of thing, with any discounts that are going, while I've got a couple of days in Dubai? If so, any particularly knowledgeable agents recommended?

Thanks

MileHi
3rd Mar 2001, 16:50
www.emirates.com (http://www.emirates.com)
:)