PDA

View Full Version : Preparing for SIM Assessment - who offers SIM training?

galleypower
29th Mar 2008, 15:53
Hi all,

I am trying to get a list of simulator training providers together, offering SIM training for pilots who want to get ready for a SIM assessments. I would like to publish the list later on a website for pilots so that they can easily contact relevant companies for a training session.

I know at the moment only of virtualaviation.co.uk...

Do you know of any other providers (UK & Rest of the World) offering such training?

Many thanks for your inputs and help.
Cheers

tristar3
6th Apr 2008, 15:57
PFT at Bournemouth
European at Bournemouth 01202 581111

gmac1977
6th Apr 2008, 18:52
I suggest giving Mike Boulton a call.

He runs PFT at Bournemouth Airport. He has a notice board full of people who have had sim prep training with him and have found positions with the best airlines in the world.

:ok:

BASCP
6th Apr 2008, 21:11
Try http://www.virtualflight.co.uk/assessment.htm

Good bunch of blokes too!!

lookoutbelow
7th Apr 2008, 12:54
FlightDeck Technology at Billingshurst (Nr LGW) offer pre assessment training and JOC courses on their B737-800 Fixed base SIM with visuals. 08456 800 737

Good bunch of guys and professional, friendly airline instructors..

galleypower
8th Apr 2008, 17:07
many thanks for all those inputs. Keep 'em coming. I will get to work then and contact those companies for a short description of their services before I include them on the website.

MVE
21st Apr 2008, 22:46
www.simcheck.org, good bunch of blokes offering many different types and looked after me for my Flybe sim!:ok:

Pilot Positive
23rd Apr 2008, 14:06
Hi MVE :)

How closely did Sim.Org match your simcheck with Flybe? What was the outcome?

Any insight greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Pilot Positive

potkettleblack
23rd Apr 2008, 15:50
May seem obvious but make sure you ask probing questions of any "MCC type" providers before launching off to fly in their sim and handing over lots of your hard earned.

Firstly you want to find out the latest profile that your target airline uses. Then check that the sim provider has the right databases, aircraft type etc. Better still if they can line you up with an instructor that is a line pilot with the airline or recently retired. That way they can point you in the right direction for the other things the airline is looking for from the sim check. Whilst flying a perfect NDB or ILS is nice don't forget that they are looking for other skills such as your ability to communicate, situational awareness, monitor the other guy, learn etc etc.

Pilot Positive
23rd Apr 2008, 17:24
Thanks potkettleblack for the really good advice - sounds like you are well versed in this area. :)

Although cash should not be a driving reason to do a pre-simcheck or not - some of the providers do look very expensive: e.g. One provider is asking for just over £1k for 2hrs (£500 p/h) on a turboprop (not sure if its full motion or not) compare this with a full motion 737-400 sim @ £295 p/h @ OAT? Am I looking in the wrong place or is this typical market cost?

Anyone care to clarify? :ok:

MVE
25th Apr 2008, 00:59
PP, They were spot on but you get the sim profile in advance so no excuse really and they used the same sim that I and my partner were checked in. It was expensive but on full motion and a new sim at Farnborough. You can't beat flying in the same sim that you are checked in, money well spent in the end! Got the job :ok:

Lots of companies out there but not all offer full motion sims or quality training.:= About the comment above on cost of a turbo prop sim, its actual aircraft that cost more or less to operate and not simulators! :ugh:(although I paid a lot less for an old 727 sim but then the instructor spent the whole 2 hours on his mobile phone! waste of time!:mad:)

Do a search here and you'll find plenty of companies offering sims but watch out for just fixed base or FNPT type although the price will be a lot cheaper, just don't forget to ask your airline to switch off the motion for your test!:p

Pilot Positive
25th Apr 2008, 17:40
Thanks MVE - great to hear that it worked out for you...how do you enjoy flying for Flybe? I hear they are a good company. :)

Did you share the cost of the sim with your buddy or was the cost quoted, per person regardless of seat position?

You guessed it...I'm down to me last few pennies...its last chance saloon and you know what they say about execution at dawn sharpening the mind. :uhoh: A bit of an exaggeration but hopeully you'll get the picture. :O

Pilot Positive :)

rogerg
25th Apr 2008, 19:29
OAAs generic 737 400 do a good MCC course

Pilot Positive
27th Apr 2008, 20:48
Yes and I hear their instructors are good as well. :cool:

Best in the insdustry :O

galleypower
8th Jun 2008, 18:46
Hi folks,
Had eventually time to put the list online. It includes SIM training providers in the UK and Germany. Other regions of the world to follow. Many thanks for all your help...
SIM Assessment Training (http://www.flightwork.com/assessment-training/sim-assessment-training.html)

Enjoy.

rogerg
8th Jun 2008, 21:17
What happened to OAA. If your going to have a list should it not include everybody?

galleypower
9th Jun 2008, 16:27
Yes of course it should! :) but I need the help of users like you :-)
I will add it. Thanks.