PDA

View Full Version : Check and Training in Airlines

BUSH PILOT
29th Mar 2008, 11:09
Hi all, just a quick question, wondering if anyone could tell me whether it's necessary to have an instructor rating/experience to become a C&T Captain in an airline further down the track, or is it possible to do so with out any previous experience or instructor rating?

Thanks for your help
BP:ok:

olderairhead
29th Mar 2008, 11:50
Easy. Not required. Just lot's of experience and demonstrated ability to fill the position.

And before I get shot down in flames this is the normal practise but not always the case unfortunately.

gas-chamber
29th Mar 2008, 23:28
Depends what the airline says in its Ops Manual. Some will say they want previous similar experience, some may say they want Certificate 4, most will require some sort of instructional techniques training. Then there is the old boy network which probably has a greater bearing than any of the foregoing. Sadly, personal attributes don't always get properly considered with the result that check and trainers are sometimes totally unsuited to the task. Of course there are some really good ones but they may drop out and go back to line flying because of the others. Being aware of the company culture and internal politics is essential to the task. Not a subject to be broached at your selection interview unless they bring it up first!
And before the rest of you jump on me for generalising, note the use of the words 'sometimes' and 'unless' etc.

Keg
29th Mar 2008, 23:36
I know that QF instructors previously had to complete the requirements of a Cert IV Workplace Training and Assessment. I don't think they have to get a Cert IV Training and Assessment these days as it's a very different award to the previous Cert IV WTA but they still complete the applicable modules for the role.

Many QF training captains (and TFOs) do have a civvie or military instructing background.