PDA

View Full Version : Feeling Nauseous On a 777

foxfly
28th Mar 2008, 22:44
With all the recent reports of Pilots and crew feeling poorley as they go about there daily work.I would just like to add that I felt really quite ill on a flight from Heathrow to Barbados flying on board a Triple 7. I have never felt like this before or since, and I have flown many times on many types of aircraft especially my beloved 747s which I think are the most wonderful aircraft ever to have been built ! I never drink alcohol on a flight and always drink plenty of water so it was most peculiar. Has anyone else felt like this before?

apaddyinuk
29th Mar 2008, 06:19
Who flies 777's between LHR and Barbados????

pax britanica
29th Mar 2008, 07:10
When the T7 was first introduced I flew on it monthly and always felt very unwell afterwards-splitting headaches general feeling of Malaise. On one trip after mentioning it to the CSD she got me 20 mins on the flight deck where the air was fresh not recirculated. Air in J was a mix of fresha nd recircualted.

Iwas told -informally but from infotmed sources that the early GE 777s had problems with bleed air ( covered up of course) and that this was why I felt ill on the T7 compared to previous trips on 74s and DC10s

With all the publicity now about contaminated bleed air I think that may also have something to do with it .

Anyway to comment more directly on your post-I am sure youare not alone -I am sure the toxic oil mist is one aprt of it and also that the two big fams ona 777 cannot push out as much air as the 4 on a 74 and thus the recircualtion rate isnt as fast

PB

The_Steed
29th Mar 2008, 16:05
I recently flew LGW-IAH and back with BA on a GE 777 and felt fine...

(And I think that BA fly to Barbados...)

apaddyinuk
29th Mar 2008, 16:16
Im crew on the 777 for BA, They only fly it from LGW to BGI.

The only problem with the 777 is that the humidifiers are ineffective, the air is far drier and operating a long sector in it really dehydrates you. I have never felt ill on it or light headed. I know there were major problems at the beginning but I believe these have all been sorted out now and I have no reason to think otherwise after well over 2 hundred flights on the thing in the last 4 years!

dontpressthat
29th Mar 2008, 16:51
Paxbritanica...

Where on earth do you get your tech information?????

DPT

timmcat
29th Mar 2008, 20:27
I've seen many threads in here over the years relating to this. I seem to recall that the problem was due to an oscillating motion occuring at the rear of the fusulage, again, IIRC due to a software issue. Most pax and crew feeling unwell were seated at the rear of the cabin.

Have to say I thought it had been solved with software changes.

29th Mar 2008, 21:16
Ive flown on the 777 alot of times at the rear as i cant afford BIZ :{but never had this problem airs always been fresh and is always my prefered plane to fly in and ive been on some long flights (dubai-Perth OZ nearly 12 hours) The 757 and 737s Ive been on all had a exhaust smell prior to the take-off but as soon as we where of it was fine.
Am i correct in thinking that this smell before take-off is caused by the bleed air intakes in the engines? or have i got it completely wrong:}

JEM60
29th Mar 2008, 22:28
Taxiing downwind in a 757 at Gatwick, had an oily smell in the cabin. Captain came on PA and apologised, saying it was caused by the downwind taxi, and it disappeared as soon as the direction was changed. Exhaust back into intakes somewhere, I guess.