PDA

View Full Version : Seal Culling- right or wrong?

HN1708
28th Mar 2008, 22:47
Some interesting arguments by seal hunters in the media about how seal culling is no different to other animals being hunted and that the major difference is that people don't like it because seals look cute.

I'm finding it hard to make my mind up on this one which is unusual for me.

Incidentally, my mate claims pulling new cabin crew is 'as easy as clubbing seals!' Perhaps it's because the older ones are wise to him.

11Fan
28th Mar 2008, 22:59
Baby seal walks into a bar.

Bartender asks "what will you have"

Seal replies "anything but a Canadian Club"

er340790
29th Mar 2008, 00:12
Before moving to Canada I felt it was right, but only if you're an Inuit with nothing else to eat / wear / make tools from.........

Having gone through four Winters of -41c (-58c windchill) I can only say that my sealskin leather jacket is SUPERB.

Standard Noise
29th Mar 2008, 00:19
The Chinese eat Tiddles the cat, the Koreans eat Lassie, the Frenchies eat Red Rum, the Nips spear Free Willy and the Canucks like to go clubbing.
This is what concern of anyone elses?

Flying Binghi
29th Mar 2008, 00:25
Anybody here fish?... barbaric practice if you ask me :E...
catch fish - club fish to death.

Oh, and what about those live sea food resturants where you can torement your meal before eating it...

Argh... :D

toolowtoofast
29th Mar 2008, 00:29
http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj274/toolowtoofast/babyseals.jpg

Avitor
29th Mar 2008, 00:43
We eat fish, or Seals eat fish. Take your pick. 'Global warming' will sort them out anyway, won't it?

BlueWolf
29th Mar 2008, 00:51
Seals, schmeals. I reckon we should be clubbing Pandas. Useless feckers only eat bamboo and can't be bothered breeding. Cull 'em, I say.

Flying Binghi
29th Mar 2008, 00:51
CATS... fun to watch the way they torement their food to death....

even more fun to set old blue dog onto cat... :E

Bahn-Jeaux
29th Mar 2008, 06:06
These delicious crepes are sweet enough to be a dessert after any hearty meal but savory enough to be the main portion.

Filling:

1 pound freshly clubbed baby seal (or use Speal, spiced seal substitute)

4 pounds cheese

1 recipe crepes batter

1 cup soft butter

zest of one orange

1/2 cup orange juice

1 tablespoon lemon juice

1/2 cup sugar

2 tablespoons Grand Marnier

1 tablespoon sugar

1/2 cup Cognac

Make the crepes batter and prepare the crepes as directed, if cooking over an open fire on the frozen tundra substitute seal blubber for butter. Using steel tipped club cream butter with zest, juices, sugar, and high proof Whiskey to make a creamy mixture. Smear the top of each crepe with the butter mixture and fold one, then twice to make a seal skull. Melt the remaining butter mixture in an oval crepe pan or other heavy-bottomed skillet.

Arrange the crepes over the blubber and sprinkle with the 1 tablespoon sugar. Heat to melting and ladle the sauce over the crepes until the flame dies. Cover with cheese and diced seal. Serve. Now that’s good seal.

This recipe was sent to me by a canadian seal clubbing friend (of french origin, I must admit) but it sure is tasty

ampan
29th Mar 2008, 06:20
I want it, and very soon.

Anyone who hasn't tried whalemeat should give it a go. It's like tuna, but with far more fat content. Fantastic on the BBQ.

BlueWolf
29th Mar 2008, 06:39
You'd need one mother of a big BBQ for a whale :uhoh:

ampan
29th Mar 2008, 06:44
but I include all the whale species, cos they all taste much the same.

A Hector's porpoise will fit on most decent-sized BBQs, when headed and tailed.

BlueWolf
29th Mar 2008, 06:46
Ah, but what about Maui's Dolphin? I prefer mine just the way they come - rare :E

Track Coastal
29th Mar 2008, 08:09
Having spent a wee bit of time in Newfoundland, the meat is quite cheap (its about the pelts mainly).

About 275,000 are killed annually in a small window of opportunity to mainly feed the Russian and Chinese fur coat market and the 'clubbers' and 'hookers' (eg you gaff them off an ice floe like a fish and then club them)get about $75 a pelt.

There are not many sealers so they have to do it quite quickly so 600 a day is a good gig for one guy.

Sealers were some of the stupidest people I've ever met In NL, the gene pool was dry dry dry where some of them came from. Maybe there are some Rhodes Scholars in the pack but they weren't in the groups I met.

HN1708
29th Mar 2008, 08:36
I did notice that sealers were not the sharpest when being interviewed by the media, they don't get their points across well about why culling is right.

Maybe they should get a clever advocate to speak for them!

eticket
29th Mar 2008, 08:45
A Hector's porpoise will fit on most decent-sized BBQs, when headed and tailed.

For theoretical knowledge only will they work in a turkey fryer? One muses on Con-Pilot's behalf.

One turkey fryer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqemKVTf_38

stevef
29th Mar 2008, 08:55
Well, I guess sealers don't need to be eloquent when they can earn up to $100 per pelt. (Parallels with footballers here.)

Rush2112
29th Mar 2008, 10:18
If baby seals were ugly, would the tree-huggers and soap-dodgers give a sh!t about them anyway?

anotherthing
29th Mar 2008, 10:20
Whoa there,

What's all this talk about 'sealers' being a bit fick??

They get $100 per seal, they don't spend money on bullets, they save time and effort by killing and tenderising the meat in one go.

Bloody geniuses if you ask me.

BlueWolf
29th Mar 2008, 10:22
Good point. They don't seem to make much of a fuss about the culling of cane toads up in the hot wet bit of the top of Oztraylia. Ugly feckers, cane toads. Prolly taste horrible too. Much rather have BBQed seal, meself.

We cull Canada Geese here. Shoot them from helicopters. Messy beggars eat all the grass out of a paddock, and leave mountains of poo in its place.

Never eaten one.

tony draper
29th Mar 2008, 11:02
Just seems to me to be some thing slightly obscene something contrary to the natural law of the food chain to kill a critter and leave its carcass to rot uneaten at the whim of the most pointless shallow stupid and vapid parasitic organisation ever thought up by the mind of man, the fashion industry.
:cool:

parabellum
29th Mar 2008, 11:38
Well said Tony D. How apt. The reason they club them, rather than shoot them is:
A). Don't want to make an obvious bullet hole in the pelt and,
B). Well, it's cheaper, bit like the killing fields in Laos.

It would be very easy to cull, (if a cull is required), with a lethal dart gun that delivers an instant death, this way the lousy shot with a rifle is excused.

There is really no sustainable excuse for clubbing.

HN1708
29th Mar 2008, 11:49
Sky News reporting 4 sealers missing when their trawler overturned. Maybe the seals have got clever! I've never trusted the little slippery barstewards myself.

candoo
29th Mar 2008, 12:18
WTF - just locate, shoot and leave!

Greenies (BTW had a whole different meaning at skool) **** off.

Why oh why do the locals agree every year to the annual clubbing fest to be publised - err just maybe raises the profile of the area.

Kill them but do not hurt them - from past experience:mad:

I used to live close to Richmond Park and the annual deer cull was a positive to the community in terms of less congestion on the roads but cheap venison readily available.

+ and - all round

Wedge
29th Mar 2008, 12:30
Sky News reporting 4 sealers missing when their trawler overturned.

I've little sympathy.

Bahn-Jeaux
29th Mar 2008, 13:42
Suppose it had been a boat load of beef slaughtermen or Rat catchers, they are doing a job, nothing more. Survival and providing for a family.

250000 seals equals far more fish than the canadian fleet will catch in a year.

Sure, stop the use of seal products. Personally I believe that would leave the way open for an even bigger cull to protect fish stocks.
Adults and pups.

As a former commercial fisherman, I despise the greedy buggers. Seals that is, not Canadians.

corsair
29th Mar 2008, 13:47
I have sympathy for the hunters and their families. Typical of so called 'animal lovers' to gain satisfaction at the death of people.

But I have lately come to the conclusion that I really don't care about baby seals being culled or in fact any of the other 'trendy' causes out there. Whales, polar bears etc ad nauseum. Most of these are manufactured causes for the benefit of urban dwellers who live soft lives away from the realities of life out in the big bad world. Urban dwellers just like me, as it happens. Don't tell me we're saving these animals for our children to see. Most people only see them on TV or in a zoo.

I suspect I'm not the only one, indeed I suspect many people who express an opinion only think about the issue for as long as it takes to express that opinion. Just like me. I'm back the to worrying that the rain won't stop and I'll get wet this afternoon when my wife drags me off to buy something for the baby. Hopefully made of baby seal fur:rolleyes:

UniFoxOs
29th Mar 2008, 14:10
We cull Canada Geese here. Shoot them from helicopters. Messy beggars eat all the grass out of a paddock, and leave mountains of poo in its place.

Never eaten one.

BW, next time at least skin the breast and cut the breast meat out - really healthy meat and great tasting, plenty different ways to cook it, and big enough to make it worth doing (and a cheap meal too) - enjoy.

UFO

G-CPTN
29th Mar 2008, 15:06
Son and his wife decided to serve goose to a group of friends just after last Christmas. Butcher quoted £60 for a goose 'large enough' to feed ten people.
Being after Christmas, none of the supermarkets had stock left, having 'dumped' their residue (no call for it, mate).

niknak
29th Mar 2008, 15:28
I propose that all the soft minded **** wits who have never had to depend on the land or livestock to provde their lively hood for them (that's 99% of the UK population and probably the Western world as well), should go and live with these people without any cash or personal possessions and spend a minimum of one year there, earning their own living.

You'd then see why pests (seals) which deny you a source of living from fishing become the next revenue stream.:rolleyes:

Track Coastal
29th Mar 2008, 16:36
should go and live with these people without any cash or personal possessions and spend a minimum of one year there, earning their own living.

You'd then see why pests (seals) which deny you a source of living from fishing become the next revenue stream
Quite a few sealers have nice new pickup trucks and new skidoos. I'm not talking Innu or Innuit here clothing and feeding the family, I'm talking 4th generation dumb inbred feckers who's dad and grandads achieved the impossible and virtually wiped out the inexhaustable codfish stocks. "Sustainable?" they can't spell it nor explain the concept in Newfie pidgin. Newfs still dump raw untreated sewage into the waters around their major centres - the sea to them is a combination of toilet, dump as well as income source. BTW "cull" is govt of Canada speak for not having the balls to put a stop to this ridiculous event to feed the fashion industry.

The seals didn't kill off the massive Cod stocks, the fishermen did about a generation ago.

If all their boats overturned the IQ of eastern Canada would probably rise by a miniscule amount but rise nonetheless.

Bahn-Jeaux
29th Mar 2008, 17:20
I'm talking 4th generation dumb inbred feckers who's dad and grandads achieved the impossible and virtually wiped out the inexhaustable codfish stocks.

Although judging by media reports, the Newfies may sound dumb, it doesnt paint the picture the media wish to portray of bloodthirsty feckwits by showing interviews with articulate fishermen.
To be able to take command of a Trawler, you have to have served at sea for many years and have your skippers ticket, achieved by studying and passing exams in the same way any other person in command of a ship or aircraft has to.

The impossible was not achieved by dads and grandads but by the Spanish Portugese and French taking advantage of part of the Grand Banks being in international waters and taking part in unrestricted slaughter of stocks with the Fisheries patrols being unable to do anything about it.

wizo
29th Mar 2008, 17:29
Have you ever watched Halal slaughter ? Far more cruel in my opinion, however we allow it, then again we don't want to offend anyone do we.

Track Coastal
29th Mar 2008, 18:23
Although judging by media reports, the Newfies may sound dumb, it doesnt paint the picture the media wish to portray of bloodthirsty feckwits by showing interviews with articulate fishermen.
To be able to take command of a Trawler, you have to have served at sea for many years and have your skippers ticket, achieved by studying and passing exams in the same way any other person in command of a ship or aircraft has to.

I dare you find an articulate fisherman in Newfoundland. Its a trawler not the space shuttle, I've got a skippers ticket (*yawn*) big deal.

The only group of people who live by the sea, from the sea but the majority can't swim. Drownings every year as long boats go out to line catch some Cod and a few tip over because the brain surgeons are going out with a falling barometer and a front imminent. No biggie they are not far offshore (unless you don't have a lifejacket on and can't swim). I suppose when you pump raw sh!t into your coastal water swimming on a warm summers day loses its charm.

I spent 2 years there, the smart ones but with low education (as in they realize that they've fecked the sea surrounding them) are in Northern Alberta making a motza in the oil boom. They comeback and are running the show at NLs offshore oil boom. There is minerals aplenty and mines operating in Newfoundland and up in Labrador. Exploration going on all over Labrador. The ambitious go to Memorial Uni. in St Johns and follow normal careers. The unambitious and stupid? Club Seals.

The age old Spanish, Portuguese and Frogs fished out Newfoundland line. "Nud us buy, dwas dem furriners". Sigh, listening to the its not our fault bullsh!t - its like being back on "The Rock." A George Street pub crawl anyone? :ok:

Flying Binghi
29th Mar 2008, 20:14
I spent 2 years there, the smart ones but with low education (as in they realize that they've fecked the sea surrounding them) are in Northern Alberta making a motza in the oil boom. They comeback and are running the show at NLs offshore oil boom. There is minerals aplenty and mines operating in Newfoundland and up in Labrador. Exploration going on all over Labrador. The ambitious go to Memorial Uni. in St Johns and follow normal careers. The unambitious and stupid? Club Seals.

Hmmm..... with that logic it would appear that all farmers and fishermen are stupid and would receive an instant IQ boost if they went and worked in the mineing or oil industrys.....

...or they could sustainably manage the industry they are in, producing products for which there is a definate market... while the short lived nearby oil/mine field closes in ten odd years :hmm:

The Toolowtoofast buffer zone

ShyTorque
29th Mar 2008, 20:28
I thought the major objection was that the seals were not always killed cleanly because of the required workrate?

I'm not against animals being culled, but I hate to see suffering, whatever the species, and false reasoning, when man's greed is the true motive..

Even drowning trawlermen and those they leave behind, all included.

Flying Binghi
29th Mar 2008, 20:44
I thought the major objection was that the seals were not always killed cleanly because of the required workrate?

I'm not against animals being culled, but I hate to see suffering, whatever the species, and false reasoning, when man's greed is the true motive..

ShyTorque,

I agree that things should be done humanely.

Greed ?... apparently there is more money to be made in mining

Bahn-Jeaux
29th Mar 2008, 22:56
Track Coastal, 1995 News report

Though tempers between Canadians and the Europeans have cooled a bit, there are sure to be further confrontations over the fish in waters off Canada. Inside the 200-mile (320- kilometer) boundary, Canadian fishermen have been forced - by their own government - to observe a strict fishing moratorium. It has been so severe that many fishermen, especially in Newfoundland and Nova Scotia, must now look for a new livelihood. This has hardly made the Canadian government popular among its citizens. In fact, it costs Canadians 3 billion dollars ($2.1 billion) annually to assist fishermen in transition.

If caution is not taken, fish in the Grand Banks, off Canada's Atlantic Coast, will soon become extinct. Fish in these waters are indifferent to 200-mile limits. Unlike fish, most humans are capable of reason; they should recognize the reasonableness of effort to conserve the fish stock.

This battle over fish might seem trivial, but it should be seen as yet another prefiguration of the true "new world order" to come. Long-time economic rivals in the fisheries, France and Spain, have united under European neocolonialism. Instead of warring against each other, European nation-states are preying on the New World.

At least the spirit of European adventurism seems limited, for the time being, to the Continent. Across the Channel, the British government and prevailing public opinion respect Canada's reaction against overfishing in international waters.

Skippers tickets are not given out with Corn Flake packet tops mate. Come to Grimsby and I will show you some skippers with MBEs and other awards.

You obviously carry a rather large pedestal around with you wherever you go.

Tree
29th Mar 2008, 23:45
Wedge;

What is that thing that your people do with the fox and hounds?

Flying Binghi
30th Mar 2008, 02:36
Differing attitudes to what is worth protecting - Zookeepers or kittens...

German police are investigating an anonymous threat against Berlin Zoo's director after he confessed he once killed four kittens by breaking their necks.

more at -

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/03/30/2202727.htm?section=justin

Track Coastal
30th Mar 2008, 03:13
The Cod and the Seals
http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/sealhunt/

Yes, harp seals do eat cod, among other things. But both sides now appear to agree that seals and cod can coexist. In March 2005, Greenpeace called on then federal Fisheries Minister Geoff Regan to "dispel the myth that seals are hampering the recovery of cod stocks." A letter from Greenpeace said, "the DFO has been a partner in perpetuating this myth."

But the DFO says sealing opponents are setting up a straw man (or seal, in this case) and then knocking it down. The federal government says anti-sealing groups are wrong to suggest that it's allowing the hunt to help cod stocks recover.

"The commercial seal quota is established based on sound conservation principles, not an attempt to assist in the recovery of groundfish stocks," the DFO says. "Seals eat cod, but seals also eat other fish that prey on cod."

The new rules, I'm sure Fisheries Canada will be monitoring this closely :rolleyes:...
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/newfoundland-labrador/story/2008/03/28/hearn-hunt.html

This year, modified rules in the hunt require sealers to sever arteries under an animal's flippers to ensure the seal is dead before it is skinned.
'A dirty job'

Shane Briand, a fisherman from Cape Breton, said he'll be following those new rules.

He said seal hunting is a messy job, but the money helps.

"You can kill 500 animals in a day and you gotta start pelting all of them, and you got a lot of carcasses," said Briand, who works on one of two boats from Cape Breton that will head out to the icy waters off St. Paul's Island this weekend.

"It's a dirty job, but it makes a bit of income for me and helps [pay for] repairs on the boat before we start our spring fishery."

As long as the end justifies the means eh Bahn-Jeaux? Canada...a trade surplus, a budget surplus, an oil exporter, mineral rich, water rich. It really needs a third world industry with 17th century methodologies doesn't it?

Killing the recently born of a species for the fashion industry (leaving most of the meat behind) by clubbing. Where do I sign up?

Its an essential industry isn't it, I mean those Russkies and Chinese would go cold without those seal fur coats.

Stephen Harper (nor Chretien/Martin before hand) hasn't the cojones to stop the industry. Its continued survival is political - the votes on 'the Rock' and the 'Island' (Cape Breton) are important in minority govts. If Harper had a majority he'd end it with a stroke of the pen. Therein lies the truth.

Flying Binghi
30th Mar 2008, 03:49
Where do I sign up?

Track Coastal, its certainly not a job I would do. I even get others to butcher the meat that I eat.

To gauge what people realy think of killing non human life for non essential uses, just take a look in the isles of large super markets. Isles of Cat food, Dog food, Rat baits and traps and Insecticides.

Tree
30th Mar 2008, 04:33
Track Coastal;

Ya, having spent time in and done business with the inhabitants of the Granite Planet I fully agree with you. For those who have not had the enlightening experience just think of the movie Deliverance without trees.
Too much chlorine in the gene pool.
The new trucks and skidoos are courtesy of transfer payments from those who are from "away" (which means you suckers in the rest of Canada who keep sending us subsidies despite our newfound oil dividends).
Wait a minute, I think the Newfies are pretty smart after all.

ampan
30th Mar 2008, 07:13
Three cheers for "Deliverance Without The Trees".

Track Coastal
30th Mar 2008, 07:29
the inhabitants of the Granite Planet ...

think of the movie Deliverance without trees. Too much chlorine in the gene pool.

*ROFLMAO*

Its always amazed that St John's, the oldest city in Nth America is so quaint with a sort of historical and rustic charm. One then leaves the Avalon peninsula and heads North you can hear the accordians (the local "banjo" re Deliverance comment) get louder with the extra fingers the locals have.;) I've never met a Seal Clubber in St John's, plenty of interesting old fishermen with great tales ala "The Perfect Storm" to listen to by the fire in the waterfront pubs.:ok:

Tree, check out the online poll at the "Downhome" (it used to be 'Downhomer' what is a homer?) website: http://www.downhomelife.com/

Which social assistance program is better?

Govt welfare
"Workfare" / work-for-welfare
Don't know
Same with Nova Scotia, one leaves historical and charming Halifax heading NE, wander through Antigonish (Incest HQ Canada - which mouth do you feed if you have two heads?) drive the magnificent Cabot Trail (an unofficial wonder of the world?) clockwise, stopping at quaint Scotland away from Scotland towns and villages, through Arcadian towns and then you get to Sydney and your jaw drops - Decay with a capital D. A region of magnificence and endeavour and squalor and backwardness; opposites and oxy-morons aplenty.

If one enjoys a drink in a variety of pubs oozing atmosphere, St Johns and Halifax are a must visit.

Howard Hughes
30th Mar 2008, 07:32
I like baby fur seals, but I couldn't eat a whole one...;)

Track Coastal
30th Mar 2008, 07:59
If a Newf wants meat there are 150,000 Moose wandering the island (from 4 introduced in 1904) and at 700-1100lbs an animal they are quite 'meaty' and breed like rabbits.

Once in one's life one must here a Newf female utter: Flat on the back for that! (a term of approval).:eek::ok::E

Or call a chap advising which pub you are warming your cockles in and why not come over for a drink: Where ya to? (where are you?); Stay where you're to 'til I comes where you're at (stay there I'll meet you soon).:\

Do you want fries with that?
http://www.cybersalt.org/cl_images/1zzzzxa/m/moosemacs.jpg
Newfie Moose (Meece?) are not very hard to find.

ampan
30th Mar 2008, 08:27
Track Coastal is doing big things for Canadian tourism.

I'm heading north.

ZFT
30th Mar 2008, 08:45
Not doing too much for spelling though!!

ShyTorque
30th Mar 2008, 08:53
What is that thing that your people do with the fox and hounds?

Nothing. You're a few years out of date. :hmm:

Howard Hughes
30th Mar 2008, 08:56
the fox and hounds
Reckon I had a drink there once!;)

G-CPTN
30th Mar 2008, 12:27
Where ya to? (where are you?); Stay where you're to 'til I comes where you're at (stay there I'll meet you soon).
That's Bristle speak that is . . .
One wonders if there's a direct relationship between the communities of Newfoundland and Bristol?

Track Coastal
30th Mar 2008, 13:38
I've spent time in Bath and they don't speak like that but have never visited Bristol so can't compare. But, based on the Island's ancestral heritage you may be on the money. Newfoundland english is spoken in an Irish like accent with bizarre lingo (Bristolian? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol#Dialect).

Apparently the dialects are the same as that used by settlers from the West Country of England and Ireland 500 years ago AND HASN'T changed due to remoteness (and a general lack of genetic dilution :E ?)

http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1O29-NEWFOUNDLANDENGLISH.html

One thing though, the women markedly out number men in St Johns and that city and Halifax, NS are among the highest in numbers of bars per head of population in the world (and the local women are intrigued and quite taken with mixing it with furriners). There is fun to be had [if you can figure what the hell they are saying].

Don't go here if having a tipple is not your scene:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Street,_St._John's

airship
30th Mar 2008, 14:20
Organised mass-culling is a trait exclusive to homo sapiens I believe. I sometimes wonder whether this is what propelled our ascendency over all the other species, with brain-size / intelligence only having a secondary role?

The overall impression I have is that mass-cullings are man's incomplete, barely considered response to problems that originate from our own past and present ignorance but mainly negligence. Seals, elephants, rats, rabbits, cats, other human-beings...the list is endless. Where is the line to be drawn at something being a source of nourishment and treated as a pest?

I use the term "source of nourishment" quite intentionally, to describe the global requirements of both human and other species generally: our basic food needs in order to survive and reproduce; the other 95% that the 5% of top human and natural "predators" require in order to allow for the continuity and quality of life to which they've become accustomed; "the inspiration and desire" for the remaining 95% to continue living under the circumstances.

Preying on the generally weak, sick, disabled, unwatchful, inattentive or merely juvenile is both natural and to be accepted as pre-requisites to "life on Earth". But we could all do without the mass-cullings, sundry exterminations or decimations, holocausts and unnecessary warfare that is prevalent in a world controlled by 5% of humanity...?!

The problem isn't the 6 million Canadian harp seals or the 3 thousand remaining Indian tigers: it's you and me, all 6 or 7 billion of us. We're the world's true pests. BTW, that 5%: they need us all so much, yet they also recognize that they've created a human pestilence on a hitherto unknown scale which can't any longer be controlled by throwing us into semi-controllable WWI trench warfare - lust look at Iraq, there were more soldiers' lives lost in a single day's fighting during WWII than in all the 5 years of that war...?!

A human bird-flu pandemic might just help things along though...?!

PS. Sorry to be a bit of a pest here on PPRuNe...I do so hate the 21st century.

Track Coastal
30th Mar 2008, 14:52
http://www.seashepherd.nl/seals/images/seal_facts_04_Adrian_Raeside.gif

Bahn-Jeaux
30th Mar 2008, 15:50
Quite frankly, its about time we kept our noses out of other countries affairs unless those affairs are threatening to us, and no thats not an opening for an Iraq war debate.

I read that report you posted and it bears out my post that media is selected to portray the image the media wants, never mind the truth. Its the impact of the story that counts.

2. What about those cute whitecoat seals?

Whitecoats are newborn harp seals. Most Canadians can recall pictures of whitecoated seal pups being clubbed. The images were so inflammatory that Canada banned all hunting of whitecoats and bluebacks (in fact hooded seals) in 1987.

You'd never know that from some of the anti-sealing groups that still prominently display pictures of whitecoats on their websites and in fundraising materials. One site even features a downloadable video of people hugging whitecoats. The reality is that whitecoats can't be hunted anymore.

Depending on which side you are depends on the message you put out.

Seals are plentiful and greedy and if they are to be culled why not use their products.

Anyone who bleats on about this needless killing yet eats lambs, veal etc or wears nice soft leather goods really needs to get a reality check.

And especially for you Track Coatal, yes i would sign up and take part in the cull.
I have no qualms whatsoever in killing anything if it is done as humanely as possible.

airgrunt
30th Mar 2008, 16:01
I have no qualms whatsoever in killing anything if it is done as humanely as possible.

Does that also hold true for certain residents of Cleethorpes UK ???

airship
30th Mar 2008, 16:11
Why stop at just Cleethorpes?! They already tried it back in the 1940s, most recently in Rwanda (with similar results) and on-going in Darfur... :ugh:

Oooops, I see you're advocating selective-culling, that's OK then, I'd like to add residents of... :ok: :uhoh: :confused:

PS. What happenend to my thread about "Open skies" first amongst equals and how the EU was hood-winked into accepting that inequitable arrangement? Talk about being culled...?! :(

Bahn-Jeaux
30th Mar 2008, 16:29
Sorry Airgrunt, suicide aint my bag.

Tree
30th Mar 2008, 18:19
ShyTorque;
Did you run out of foxes? What happened to all your BSE cattle? Were they all "killed cleanly?"

TrackCoastal;
And we haven't covered New Brunswick yet. Back to Deliverance but with trees this time.

airship:
Good point. I agree continued human population growth is neither intelligent nor sustainable. Nature is setting up some nice traps, it won't be long before she springs a good one.

Tree
30th Mar 2008, 19:25
ampan;
Track Coastal is doing big things for Canadian tourism.
I'm heading north.

Nah, it's too far for you. Just go to the Outback in that big island to the west of you. You will see the same thing but it's not always cold & wet. Or is it east? Your place looks upside down from here! Better yet, and I know Kiwi's are thrifty, just watch that Outback bar scene in the Croc Dundee movie.

Tree
30th Mar 2008, 19:28
Track Coastal;

Stephen Harper (nor Chretien/Martin before hand) hasn't the cojones to stop the industry. Its continued survival is political - the votes on 'the Rock' and the 'Island' (Cape Breton) are important in minority govts. If Harper had a majority he'd end it with a stroke of the pen. Therein lies the truth.

You have spoiled it all for us by telling the truth.

One thing though, the women markedly out number men in St Johns and that city and Halifax, NS are among the highest in numbers of bars per head of population in the world (and the local women are intrigued and quite taken with mixing it with furriners). There is fun to be had [if you can figure what the hell they are saying].

Ya but they are like Scooters or Trikes. It is a great easy ride but you would not want one of your friends to see you on one.

pigboat
30th Mar 2008, 22:16
Some years ago a Famous Actress and animal rights activist appeared on the cover of a Famous Magazine holding a white coat pup. I use 'animal rights activist' with some trepidation since said Famous Actress later de-nutted her neighbour's donkey one day when the neighbour was out of town. It seems the Famous Actress became incensed when she caught the poor animal doing the nasty with her ass. Zoot âlors! But I digress.

The ice front that year was about 50 miles east of St. Anthony NF. The Famous Actress had arrived the night before at my location in a private jet, ill suited to visit the killing grounds, so a helicopter was required to transport her to the ice field where the white coats were being slaughtered left and right. The nearest airport that could accommodate the jet was Blanc Sablon, with the apt - in this case - identifier BS. The BS airport at the time boasted a 3500 x 100 foot gravel strip. I had been in there the evening before with a DC-3, so the crew met with me to discuss the runway condition. I advised them to proceed at their own risk since the runway was short and mostly ice and hard-packed snow covered. It was ok for the DC-3, but marginal for their aircraft. In my opinion.

The following morning I headed back to BS with a DC-3 freighter. On arrival, I found a motley crew, including a camerman and a Guy From Greenpeace assembled at the terminal to welcome the Famous Actress. It seems my sage advice had been ignored and the wishes of the Famous Actress took priority. While we were unloading, the jet appeared overhead, performed a careful circuit and began his approach. The pilot did a masterful job, and if the runway had had keys painted on it, he would have planted the airplane on them. The parking area was about 500 feet from the end of the arrival threshold, and the Falcon went by at a great rate of knots in a cloud of snow. One wag expressed the consensus of us watching when he opined 'E ain't gonna get 'er stopped!" We were all wrong. The last couple hundred feet before the end of the landing runway was bare gravel, and he used every inch of it.

The Famous Actress, no doubt blissfully unaware of her near catastrophe, stepped from her ride to the whirr and click of media cameras. The helicopter was ready, the camerman was ready, the Guy From Greenpeace was ready, in short the mission to the killing grounds was a go. Une petite mi-noot. The Famous Actress enquired where she would go if she felt the need to 'faire pipi' on the ice field. The reply was, 'Behind the nearest iceberg.' Zoot âlors!
Not for her to faire pipi in the open. Disgusting. It now seemed the entire trip had been in vain. Famous Actress was adamant she wasn't going anywhere without a place to take a wizz. It looked like the whole shebang would have to be cancelled, when our company ticket agent spoke up. It seems that he had a white coat pup from the year before that had been stuffed by some inbred fecker, no doubt with bad teeth, of an amateur taxidermist from l'Anse Eau Claire NF. Famous Actress could have her picture taken with this amazing likeness - for a small fee of course - if that met with her approval. No sooner said than done. The stuffed seal was produced and pronounced unbelieveably life like. Now where to take the picture. There was no shortage of sea ice in BS that year. Just down the road from the airport there was a pretty cove called l'Anse aux Dunes, frozen solid with ice three feet thick and with raftered floes worthy of Greenland.

Famous Actress, the camera man and the GFG all traipsed off, seal in hand to the little cove. In a few minutes the entire shoot was over, and in two weeks the picture of the Famous Actress holding a darling white coat pup appeared on the cover of the Famous Magazine for all the world to see.

No doubt some of you are puzzled. WTF is he telling us this for they ask. For two reasons, really. One is to show that those dumb, inbred, uneducated feckers can pull the wool over the eyes of every educated prick who reads a certain Famous Magazine, and two, give an example of just what hypocrital sob's the animal rights organizations really are.

Bahn-Jeaux
30th Mar 2008, 22:35
No doubt some of you are puzzled. WTF is he telling us this for they ask. For two reasons, really. One is to show that those dumb, inbred, uneducated feckers can pull the wool over the eyes of every educated prick who reads a certain famous Magazine, and two, give an example of just what hypocrital sob's the animal rights organizations really are.
:D:D

I second that

ShyTorque
30th Mar 2008, 22:44
ShyTorque;
Did you run out of foxes? What happened to all your BSE cattle? Were they all "killed cleanly?"

No, we have more foxes than ever before to the extent that they are a major problem in some areas. The main reason that hunting with dogs / horses was stopped was probably more of a perceived "class war" against people who could afford to go hunting, by those who held feelings of jealousy, a sad British trait which extends to a loathing of those with large cars and personal aircraft. I expect it might be angling next; expect a few saboteurs to be swimming downwards, weighted down by stones in keep-nets, once that starts.

Badgers, too, have recently again come into the news because there is compelling evidence that they carry bovine TB. Digging for badgers was also made illegal here some years ago.

The BSE risk cattle were seen as a direct threat to human health. I believe ministry vets were on scene though to ensure the cull was as humane as possible, anyone monitoring on the ice? The father of a friend of mine died from the human form of that disease, very unpleasant.

You forgot to mention the foot and mouth disease culls and those for HN51 virus only last year.

Track Coastal
31st Mar 2008, 04:59
Ah Bahn-Jueax some 'interesting' arguments.

Seals are plentiful and greedy and if they are to be culled why not use their products. Damn greedy seals, lets show them varmints a thing or two (cue Yosemite Sam voice).

They don't NEED to be culled, thats the point. The definition of cull infers some benefit to the ecosystem, the species, other species etc. Its a mass slaughter because the Canadian govt hasn't the bollocks to stop it.

See Tree's post #64 above, he's a Canuck and recognises why its allowed to continue, what killed off the Cod, and who allowed it to happen, as do most geographically located between Ottawa and Tofino.

I appreciate you come from a fishing ancestry, understand your bias and maybe am a little empathetic but what was acceptable in the 17th century is not necessarily acceptable now.

You know I'm thinking of restarting the mainstream slave trade beacuse I may have an ancestral connection to the noble endeavour. I'm looking at finance etc. However I need a source of strong hardy people that will take a good thrashing without getting too feisty. The Australian indigenous are not that physically strong in general and the polynesian will get feisty after a beating. I'd like a 'white' source if possible, one that is 'plentiful and greedy' any ideas? It was a perfectly acceptable way to make a quid 200 years ago, so it must be OK now. There is a labour shortage in Australia, so the need is there.

Anyone who bleats on about this needless killing yet eats lambs, veal etc or wears nice soft leather goods really needs to get a reality check.
The killing of animals to use the meat to feed yourself or the masses is fine, we need protein, to use the skin as well is good economics. The largest single annual slaughter of mammals for the fashion industry is on the nose. Want a feed on the Rock and can't be bothered going down to Safeway? Shoot a Moose. In eastern Quebec or Labrador? Shoot a Caribou (I've been on a Caribou hunt - 1000 in a herd, you shoot one, do they stampede? Nope just keep on eating) its not hard, you can even track the herds online ( http://www.mrnf.gouv.qc.ca/english/wildlife/maps-caribou/maps.jsp ). All you need is a wide track 'sled, a komatic (to bring the carcass or two back to your truck) and a .243 or bigger.
I have no qualms whatsoever in killing anything if it is done as humanely as possible. Nice! What about a valid reason to feed the primeval urge?
its about time we kept our noses out of other countries affairs unless those affairs are threatening to us, European jewry, the African Elephant, the Tiger, Whales etc etc are thankful that not everyone on the 3rd Rock share your view.

Here is a list of psychologists in your area. Phone one up and ask "I've just posted a view on a public furum, that I have no qualms whatsoever in killing anything if it is done as humanely as possible, do I need an appointment or can I come straight over?" http://www.city-visitor.com/cleethorpes/psychologists.html

Tree
Just go to the Outback in that big island to the west of you. You will see the same thing but it's not always cold & wet.
The Aussie regional towns are generally getting genetically diluted with the mining boom etc. However there is a town on the NT/QLD border called Camooweal (east of Tennant Creek and West of Mt Isa) on the Barkly Highway (route 66) that just maybe what you are after. Heading east on the Barkly from Mt Isa you come to Cloncurry where route 66 becomes the Matilda Highway. Before you reach Longreach (birthplace of Qantas) you will pass through McKinlay, the only pub in town is "The Walkabout Creek Hotel", this is where the pub scenes were shot in the Dundee movies (nowhere near a Croc or the NT) a farming community and pleasant enough locals.

Halls Creek and Fitzroy Crossing in northern WA are worth a visit as well for the final chapters of ones Anthropological PhD thesis.:eek:
You have spoiled it all for us by telling the truth.
Thanks.
And we haven't covered New Brunswick yet. Back to Deliverance but with trees this time. Moncton isn't too bad, maybe the International flying school at CYQM airport and the presence of the major ATC centre at QM ACC is diluting the pool. I'm not sure if the lingo there is English embedded with French or vice versa. Walked into a bar there (-20 outside) ordered a Moosehead and asked who's playing [?] coz everyone is staring at the TV and its wasn't NHL (Moncton Wildcats vs Halifax Mooseheads it turns out), everyone thinks I'm from Mars because I didn't know who was playing and I had a 'martian' kind of accent. Barman says, you Australian? Yep. What are you doing here? Some business at the ATC centre. Hmmm, I own this place and I got the money together catching Tuna off Port Lincoln, South Australia and Prawns in the Gulf of Carpentaria, we don't get Aussies here much, drinks are on me. A bar and a club later and I still haven't bought a drink (offered to 'shout' back aplenty) Wooo hooo - I lurve Moncton I said to myself before I blacked out.:ok:Ya but they are like Scooters or Trikes. It is a great easy ride but you would not want one of your friends to see you on one.
*ROFLMAO*
Like a Harley, you wouldn't actually buy one because of the expensive maintenance and reliability but if its free you gotta have a ride.:E;)

Ahhh Canada off the beaten track, a quirky must-visit to compliment the grandeur of BC, Ontario and Quebec etc.:ok: (and make good beer coast to coast).

Tree
31st Mar 2008, 17:20
Track Coastal;

G'day. This has been fair dinkum fun! Thanks for the Outback information, I have seen the name Longreach on Qantas aircraft but I did not know it was the name of a town. Moncton yes but try the River Lounge in the Lord Beaverbrook Hotel in Freddy for some real culture. Or anywhere in St. John, NB.

There is one more area to mention. The tiny Island of PEI; one hundred and thirty thousand cloned spud farmers with only a few Japanese tourists visiting in the summer.
See ya later.

ampan
1st Apr 2008, 01:49
I saw a TV documentary about the building of an enormously-long bridge to Prince Edward Island - so that should expand the gene pool a bit.

This thread makes me wonder why Shania bought a boring sheep farm in NZ, when she had the whole of her own great country to choose from.

notmyC150v2
1st Apr 2008, 02:11
I don't understand the problem at all.

If there are plenty of the buggers, kill them, skin them and eat them.

I won't buy the skin and I won't eat the meat. Just like I won't eat whale meat. But if there are people who want to, and hunting them won't endanger them, why should we stop it?

It is just none of my business, or anyone elses.

I agree with the sentiment that if they weren't cute it would not even raise an eyebrow.

I just thank the gods that cows aren't cute and cuddly and chickens can't meow.

Track Coastal
1st Apr 2008, 03:45
Tree
http://www.qantas.com.au/info/about/history/details4
There is a Qantas museuem in Longreach with a comrehensive display of its history and with a De Havilland (50?), B747 and a B707 aircraft wise.

Regarding PEI, I was always amazed the wee place was actually a Province with a premier, parliament and its own public service (who does that leave NOT in govt, 5 or 6 people?).

12.9km of bridge! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confederation_Bridge

Ampan
She is one attractive woman so maybe she feels safer, a libidous Kiwi having to pass by a paddock of sheep to get to her front door is quite a passive defence measure (EWE know I'm only kidding). ;)

Seriously though, I never saw a sheep in Canada, it has around 1m sheep (compare that to 115m in Oz and 45m in NZ). In Canada I was paying $20+/kg for NZ lamb but half that for salmon. Back 'under' again I just bought some lamb for $7.00/kg but have to pay $25+/kg for salmon.:(

Maybe she just wanted some anonymity and a sheep farm with Mountain views? She's not short of a quid. If you run into her say hi.

ampan
1st Apr 2008, 04:49
I'm going to be up-front honest now: I would go for Shania over almost all of the finest-bred high-country merino breeding ewes - and that's the honest-to-god truth of the matter.

BlueWolf
1st Apr 2008, 04:56
Amen to that. Merinos are ugly.

Now a nice Coopworth-Perendale, or even a Romney-Southdown, that might be a different matter; think Shania would still have the edge but.

ampan
1st Apr 2008, 05:07
Blue Wolf: Don't you get the urge to head to Canada? The Mackenzie Basin is nice: lovely clean air, plenty of polite Korean tourists, blah, blah, blah - but there's no wild country left in NZ, is there? It's all taken, and it's all thoroughly civilised.

Track Coastal has got me hooked.

BlueWolf
1st Apr 2008, 05:37
I do, I do, I do, get the urge; way on up, to the Great White Frozen North, to Alberta, and Saskatchewan, and northern British Columbia, my bones are calling me, to the land of cold, to the oil shale fields, to the uranium mines, to the vast pale wastelands of permafrost and tundra, to where the roads are long and treacherous, where the rigs are really big (even if they do drive on the wrong side), where aeroplanes rule with the Ice Dragons of our cultural yore, and where appropriately loose women apparently say things like "flat on the back for that". :ok:

I say poohs to the Koreans, to the piffling little Mackenzie (actually I'm quite fond of Twizel), to this land of the shy and the unready, of Greenies and lesbians.

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes, let us journey to the land of the Northern Lights, of Moosehead and Molson, of big manly machines, and ice and snow, and fluffy hats with the hangy-down ear-flap things and woolly-lined chequered shirts.

If I can just shift this mental image a little further, so that Eileen Lange finishes off, wipes up, and removes her Merino wool bikini, I'll be right with you.

ampan
1st Apr 2008, 05:59
But, and of course, the irony of Canada is that for every seal-clubbing whale-munching redneck there is some bedwetting handwringing liberal down in Toronto or Montreal. A land of contrasts.

BlueWolf
1st Apr 2008, 07:51
I'll stay away from Toronto and Montreal then. Never been much of a city boy anyway.

How far North do you have to go before dope isn't legal anymore? :ooh:

BTW, the Haast is still a bit of a frontier. ;)

ShyTorque
1st Apr 2008, 08:12
I do, I do, I do, get the urge; way on up, to the Great White Frozen North, to Alberta, and Saskatchewan, and northern British Columbia, my bones are calling me, to the land of cold, to the oil shale fields, to the uranium mines, to the vast pale wastelands of permafrost and tundra, to where the roads are long and treacherous, where the rigs are really big (even if they do drive on the wrong side), where aeroplanes rule with the Ice Dragons of our cultural yore, and where appropriately loose women apparently say things like "flat on the back for that".

I feel a song coming on......... :E

I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay.
I sleep all night. I work all day.

Mounties : He's a lumberjack, and he's okay.
He sleeps all night and he works all day.

I cut down trees. I eat my lunch.
I go to the lavatory.
On Wednesdays I go shoppin'
And have buttered scones for tea.

Mounties: He cuts down trees. He eats his lunch.
He goes to the lavatory.
On Wednesdays he goes shopping
And has buttered scones for tea.

Chorus : I'm (He's) a lumberjack, and I'm (he's) okay.
I (He) sleep(s) all night and I (he) work(s) all day.

I cut down trees. I skip and jump.
I like to press wild flowers.
I put on women's clothing
And hang around in bars.

Mounties : He cuts down trees. He skips and jumps.
He likes to press wild flowers.
He puts on women's clothing
And hangs around in bars?!

I cut down trees. I wear high heels,
Suspendies, and a bra.
I wish I'd been a girlie,
Just like my dear Mama (or Papa in later versions)

Mounties : He cuts down trees. He wears high heels,
Suspendies, and a bra?!

Yes, I'm (He's) a lumberjack, and I'm (he's) ok-a-y.

Track Coastal
1st Apr 2008, 10:31
ampan and BlueWolf, enjoy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dzn0UiiOYLs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeWG6YG2oOA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmvMCeWiG6w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUqsF8vbR_Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kuo3BB30t4

I shouldn't have watched them *sniff*, I still have my residency visa, I'm homesick (?), now where's my passport...

[starting to type a 'sorry I left' letter to Nav Canada]

Pilot Positive
1st Apr 2008, 11:23
I had a Finnish girlfriend once, one night we were out in the pub and she asked me if I wanted to go clubbing....

...i thought it was a bit forward given that I had only known her for 3 weeks and felt strongly against animal cruelty. Apparantly its a sport over there.

Track Coastal
1st Apr 2008, 11:41
Considering that Finnish women are just delightful and Finnish passion for alcohol and dancing at 'clubs' etc (and the horizontal rhumba) I assume you took her offer up? Got any photos?

http://80.241.235.16/MEDIA/Motorsport/55600094_girls-g.jpg

Pilot Positive
1st Apr 2008, 12:10
She was beautiful, so was her sister :}. She's got a 3rd sister as well whose equally as lovely. Its a bloodey nightmare being surrounded by 3 blondes.

I did take her offer up and went to get my cricket bat and then it turned out she wanted to go dancing.

On reflection it did seem a bit odd as I didn't recall seeing any seals in Birmingham.

No photos but if you want I can get a mate to knock up a picture of a seal shopping in the Bullring shopping centre if you want....

BlueWolf
1st Apr 2008, 22:18
Cheers for that Track :ok: I want one of them beavers :)

Here's a couple from my back yard. The first one is still the best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q25aJ6UNvhw&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lR1sEn8nMI&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOmq1EGoohU&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZA3bye8XJE&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4HO45QJcYw&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xUGBqi8uPw&feature=related

ampan
2nd Apr 2008, 01:16
Here's another one for the Canada collection:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ds07XDaKhC4&feature=related

BlueWolf
2nd Apr 2008, 01:31
Brilliant. But not a real country? I thought that was Belgium?

Anyways here's a couple more. Wouldn't drink the horrible sugary north island muck myself, but their ads are quite good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Gk1gY2YO58

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dn7u5XvupSU&feature=related

eticket
2nd Apr 2008, 02:28
Thread drift but as we have been known to bash Coypu around here can I join in and profer up an ad from my local brewery:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ib_AHVl97UU

Its always made me chuckle.

ampan
2nd Apr 2008, 04:26
Never trust a dog around a pussy.

Tree
2nd Apr 2008, 07:22
But, and of course, the irony of Canada is that for every seal-clubbing whale-munching redneck there is some bedwetting handwringing liberal down in Toronto or Montreal. A land of contrasts.

You got it ampan. Montreal though is ok for a night or two to get your city fix(bs politics excepted the Quebecers are great people with a sense of humour and a love of life). Toronto or anywhere in southern Ontario is a waste of time (none of the above).
Go West young man, or far east or far north (I recommend the Yukon in summer).
Take care of Shania, she's a beauty and is from northern Ontario (Timmins)
Cheers Mate!

Tree
2nd Apr 2008, 16:10
Interesting news clip. I did not know the facts myself.

"The controversial hunt resurfaced at the European Parliament and EU headquarters as this year's hunt got under way last week in Canada, which is the largest such hunt in the world.
Similar hunts also are carried out in Greenland, Norway, Russia, Namibia and EU-member Finland, but none has been scrutinized by European activists as much as Canada's - which has frustrated Canadian officials".

Solid Rust Twotter
2nd Apr 2008, 17:23
The Namibian "cull" is merely an excuse to harvest the penises of adult males for the Chinese market. Females are not usually "culled" and the carcasses are left to rot where they were killed.:*

Mish Nish
2nd Apr 2008, 22:32
:hmm:Tree - it's in CANADA that people are still allowed to hunt foxes from horseback, with hounds for good company, not in BRITAIN, silly.

Tree
3rd Apr 2008, 01:15
Sleeping at the wheel, Tree?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tree - it's in CANADA that people are still allowed to hunt foxes from horseback, with hounds for good company, not in BRITAIN, silly.

I stand corrected.

BlueWolf
3rd Apr 2008, 02:06
What is it with the Chinese and penises?:confused: Is there anything whose dick they won't eat? I mean there's more than a billion of them already - do they need any more aphrodisiacs??? :ugh:

....and how does munching on seal cock make you more virile anyway? Personally I'd have thought it just made you a beastialist, or gay. Possibly both.

We should be told.

Flying Binghi
3rd Apr 2008, 15:34
KANGAROO CULL

Perhaps Track coastal has veiws on Australia's kangaroo cull / harvest.

Bahn-Jeaux
3rd Apr 2008, 17:07
He may well have now he has been asked but Kangaroos dont have that 'cute and appealing' look of the seal so not too much interest from the bleeding hearts brigade in general.

Flying Binghi
4th Apr 2008, 18:55
Kangaroos, one of the best protien (food) recovery animals in Australia - part of this usefull resource goes to waste because of the opinions of some overfed illinformed yanks.

Quote - Millions of kangaroos are slaughtered in the Australian wild every year on the basis that there are too many, with much of the meat being used for pet food.

more at -

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/04/04/2208618.htm?section=justin

Flying Binghi
5th Apr 2008, 04:07
..."some cigarette-smoking ape with a club"

Not only do fishermen have no brains, (dumb apes) they smoke :eek:
(now the ape lovers will start protesting)

The protester mindset -

Qoute -The Sea Shepherd Conservation Society said in a statement that "the deaths of four sealers is a tragedy," but added "the slaughter of hundreds of thousands of seal pups is an even greater tragedy."
Green Party leader Elizabeth May immediately quit the society's advisory board, while Fisheries and Oceans Minister Loyola Hearn said he would "pursue charges" against the seal hunt protesters.

More at -

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/04/05/2208711.htm?section=justin

BlueWolf
5th Apr 2008, 04:53
How the hell did this thread degenerate into a lot of whingeing about seals being culled? :confused:

Why is no-one posting any more youtube beer commercials?? :confused::confused:

Honestly.
:ugh:

Flying Binghi
5th Apr 2008, 11:33
Why is no-one posting any more youtube beer commercials?

LOL... Its the weekend - the advertising department is not back until monday :E

Track Coastal
5th Apr 2008, 11:51
Why is no-one posting any more youtube beer commercials??
I'm waiting for the youtube video of Flying Binghi chasing an Eastern Grey Kangaroo with a club. ;)

If he catches one, I'm going to subpoena PpruNe to providing his name and address so he can be press ganged into the Brumbies on the wing, god knows they need some pace out wide.:)

Flying Binghi
7th Apr 2008, 03:09
I'm waiting for the youtube video of Flying Binghi chasing an Eastern Grey Kangaroo with a club.

Well in my younger days T.C. .... :)

Unforetunatly, these days my beer belly develops a bit of a disabling speed woble :(

ampan
7th Apr 2008, 04:13
Here's one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AYBCZdxNrw

Ah .. yes. It'll be some time before D & G ever produces another one of those. (And, for the record, she's still blazing hot.)

BlueWolf
13th Apr 2008, 01:09
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcOnqDLeAMs

One from the Ockers. Let's keep this thread on track, please. :E

BlueWolf
13th Apr 2008, 01:12
Can't find one of a seal, but this one has a panda in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fB-SNtbcagE

:D:D;):p

BlueWolf
13th Apr 2008, 01:18
Seek and ye shall find :ok:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5eUdUGma1k

BlueWolf
13th Apr 2008, 01:30
Truly excellent :ok:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYZs7VJaAlQ

Flying Binghi
13th Apr 2008, 02:53
Culled - one down and one to go :hmm:

The Coast Guard action is the result of charges laid last week against the captain and first officer for an incident in which Canadian officials say the boat came close to seal hunters.
Canada's Fisheries Minister said the Farley Mowat posed a danger by getting too close to the sealers, and he had to act before someone was hurt or killed.

More at -

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...section=justin (http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...section=justin)

StbdD
13th Apr 2008, 05:28
Might want to put yer beers down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoKQLkl1_rw&feature=related

And a classy one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sy1uJMI0Wxo&feature=related

Flying Binghi
13th Apr 2008, 15:27
Oh well... seems some want to watch youtube.

Try this one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qyMqt6jSA8

So much food goes to waste because it is 'cute' .....

Flying Binghi
14th Apr 2008, 06:19
Chicken next...

A Tasmanian animal welfare group says its obtained footage of mutton-bird killing which it hopes will help in a campaign to ban the recreational activity.

More at -

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/04/14/2216202.htm?section=justin

BlueWolf
14th Apr 2008, 11:19
Oooooh, don't let the Maoris see that one.

Muttonbirds, y'see, are a sacred animal, the sole preserve of the Ngai Tahu people. If'n they discover that the sooty shearwater actually nests in other places as well, well then, a large part of their culture will go down the drain.

For Maori, you have to understand, there are no other legitimate people on earth than Maori. And no legitimate landmasses other than Aoteoroa. And anything and everything which strays into the consciousness of Maori is thereafter the sole domain and property of Maori.

(at this point you must weep for the ancestors, not sure why, but Maori are always weeping for their ancestors. Poor pathetic sods.)

Anyhoo, if they discover that muttonbirds actually nest in Tassie as well as on the few islands off the arse end of Southland which are famous for them, well, that will shatter their illusions.

And no-one ever said it was going to be easy, being a seal. Or a muttonbird.
:rolleyes:

Flying Binghi
16th Apr 2008, 04:25
Barbara Kay on Paul Watson and Sea Shepherd
Via - National Post.com

Some interesting qoutes from what I think may be a religious Kay -

...the contempt for human life displayed by Paul Watson, Sea Shepherd Conservation Society chief. In reaction to the March 29 maritime deaths of four seal hunters, Watson declared the deaths of seals a "greater tragedy."

...Watson's advocacy of a population-decimating cap of one billion people, or calling human beings "the AIDS of the Earth"?

More at -

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/fullcomment/archive/2008/04/08/barbara-kay-on-paul-watson-and-sea-shepherd-hug-the-earth-kill-the-humans.aspx

BlueDiamond
16th Apr 2008, 05:04
And no-one ever said it was going to be easy, being a seal. Or a muttonbird.
Or a Maori, apparently. :uhoh:

BombayDuck
16th Apr 2008, 11:02
a population-decimating cap of one billion people

...wouldn't that be 'heximating' :confused:

Watson's advocacy

Ok, let's start with him first.

BlueWolf
16th Apr 2008, 12:22
Or a Maori, apparently.

Indeed.

The most thick, blinkered, shallow, unevolved, self-pitying, self-centered, miserable, sad, depressed, ancestor-obsessed, ego-centric, racist people on the face of God's green earth.

Maybe they just need some selenium, but by Christ, it's a mission listening to the poor unhappy pricks.

frostbite
16th Apr 2008, 13:02
"most thick, blinkered, shallow, unevolved, self-pitying, self-centered, miserable, sad, depressed, ancestor-obsessed, ego-centric, racist people"

Yes, but apart from that?

G-CPTN
16th Apr 2008, 13:09
There is controversy over the statement (made after research) that Africans are not as 'intelligent' as Europeans (actually it was blacks versus whites - http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article2677098.ece?token=null&offset=0 ), but is there documentation which supports your allegations, BlueWolf?

Flying Binghi
16th Apr 2008, 13:19
Why do I feel like 'Horse' the cat let loose in the pigeon coop...

I'm going to wear some poop.... though I will dine well in the end :E

(Apoligies to Footrot flats)

Rananim
16th Apr 2008, 13:38
...the contempt for human life displayed by Paul Watson, Sea Shepherd Conservation Society chief. In reaction to the March 29 maritime deaths of four seal hunters, Watson declared the deaths of seals a "greater tragedy."

...Watson's advocacy of a population-decimating cap of one billion people, or calling human beings "the AIDS of the Earth"?

I concur.The irony of man is that he is both the greatest and least-deserving species on the planet.I wouldnt be against a cull(nothing drastic..a billion sounds about right) if we could agree upon the guidelines.I came up with this list which I see as a work in progress:

-felons
-murderers
-rapists
-liberals
-lawyers
-poachers(yeah,dont they just love pointing their guns at Earth's most noble creatures like the cheetah,lion or tiger)
-whalers(I hear all that sea-salt air tenderizes the skin nicely..no need to season before putting them on the bbq)
-people who play loud rap music in their cars
-general scumbags(spend 3 hours on youtube and you'll find a wide selection)

Of course,Nature does its own culling with diseases,earthquakes and tsunamis but maybe we need to do some in-house work of our own...

Do I write in jest?I'll never tell...

Flying Binghi
17th Apr 2008, 22:30
According to this article - in the last 30 odd years the population of seals have trebled in size while being hunted at the same time !!!
What happens if the seal hunt is stopped ?

It's all about the money, environmental crusader told CBC's Barbara Frum in a 1978 CBC radio interview, now being circulated on YouTube, Paul Watson slams Greenpeace and others for focusing protests on seal hunting because "it is very easy to exploit," even though the species is not endangered.

...Watson also insisted that the sustainability of the harp seal population – estimated at 5.5 million by federal officials – is imperilled, even though the species is still not on any endangered species list.

He said the combined effects of climate change and the hunt will eventually lead to the extinction of the population, which Ottawa says has nearly tripled in size since the 1970s.

Stacey McCarthy of the World Wildlife Fund said harp seals are not considered an endangered species.

"Science doesn't indicate the numbers are threatened," she said, adding that the quota this year was 275,000 seals. "It's not as conservation issue."

Original article and link to interview at -

http://www.thestar.com/News/Canada/article/415258

Flying Binghi
20th Apr 2008, 13:01
An article to consider -

http://www.edmontonsun.com/Comment/Commentary/2008/04/19/5329501-sun.html

Flying Binghi
22nd Apr 2008, 07:15
I'm amazed this boat hasnt 'acciedently' sunk yet :E

http://www.canada.com/topics/news/national/story.html?id=d845d5ef-d9d2-4405-b2d8-887997102822&k=65829

Flying Binghi
23rd Apr 2008, 03:04
Hmmm, no more pigeons around :sad:

....perhaps, if I wait, a rabbit may show up...... a Brier Rabbit that is :hmm: :) ..... :E

- or do I spell that, Bre'r Rabbit ..........