PDA

View Full Version : ME-CPL or SE-CPL

UAV689
28th Mar 2008, 19:07
Hi All

am doing some budgeting on my training and want to know if it is worth spending on a ME-cpl or doing a se-cpl and a multi-rating or me-ir. Could i still fly jets with a se-cpl but multi-ir??

thanks in advance.

HN1708
28th Mar 2008, 19:38
I did SE CPL and having spoken to a lot of others i think i saved a lot of money by doing the CPL SE and doing the MEP rating separate. If you start to screw up on a ME CPL it's nearly double the price per hour for additional training compared with a normal complex single.

The CPL is a licence and the ME bit is a separate rating, so yes you can fly a ME plane IFR having got a CPL on a single so long as you have a ME rating and MEIR.

UAV689
28th Mar 2008, 20:00
Thanks HN - that makes a lot of sense.

Has anyone had any experience trouble finding work by having a se-cpl opposed to a me-cpl? would airlines look poorly on this?

HN1708
28th Mar 2008, 20:06
It should not make any difference as few ME aircraft are flown VFR and you will need to do a ME rating separately in order to hold a MEIR. Can't think of many airlines that wouldn't want a MEIR.

wbryce
28th Mar 2008, 22:09
UAV,

The CPL is a license....
The multi engine piston (MEP) is a rating...
The single engine piston (SEP) is a rating...
The IR is a rating...

You can do your CPL in a SEP or MEP its still the same license. You exercise the priviliages of your license based on what ever ratings you have.

Most training schools do the CPL in a SE then MEIR, so its not a problem!

nick14
29th Mar 2008, 18:32
Just a thought but do you think it will be easier to do the ME section of the test on your CPL rather than your IR as the IR course seems to be much more demanding?

interested to hear your thoughts
Nick

AlphaMale
29th Mar 2008, 18:37
I asked the same question last year 'as seen here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=305719)' (2 pages of replies).

Seems a doing a CPL in SE is fine for getting into the airlines.

Good luck.

HN1708
29th Mar 2008, 18:46
Nick, the ME test is a rating test and does not involve tracking beacons or flying procedures like you do on a MEIR, it is a VFR handling test for a class rating separate to any other licence or rating you are training for.

On a ME CPL you will be being asessed on flying to CPL standards on a ME aircraft, which is generally faster than a SE and can be hard work if your mind still works at C152 speeds, the only advantage is not having to do PFLs if you are no good at them!