PDA

View Full Version : Vista sp1 Experience...no Windows Update afterwards.

tallsandwich
28th Mar 2008, 18:31
Thought I would share my Vista sp1 experience.

Installed sp1 and all was fine, except that I did not see any improvements in performance and before the install I had no real issues, so I decided that there was no visible improvement for me.

Then I tried Windows Update - which stopped working, which also stopped the Task Scheduler and also Background Intelligent Transfer System...

So I risked the uninstall option for sp1 and the uninstaller worked very well. Windows update is now working again.

Unless I find a real problem with Vista that is fixed in sp1 then I am not going to reinstall it, I'll wait for sp2.

Cheers.

PPRuNeUser0171
2nd Apr 2008, 20:51
SP1 contains a bunch of bug fixes and security patches so it is recommended.

I was one of MANY beta testers for Vista SP1 so I'd be interested to know the error messages from the apps that died on you and especially windows update.

tallsandwich
4th Apr 2008, 17:18
The result was that Task Scheduler and Windows Update both stop working (the nice dialogue box comes up to inform me of this fact) and the associated error code is not one that exists in any Microsoft site.

The get online help only returns advice for general errors in Windows Update (not surprising as the error code has no documentation associated on the Microsoft Site so I can't expect the online help tool to find anything for me).

I installed all the hotfixes that cured performance issues BEFORE I installed sp1 - so I suppose it may be that all I gained from sp1 was security and bug fixes.

I have since added other updates successfully (I guess sp1 is not yet on Windows Update) but I think I will wait a few months before trying again, perhaps then if I get the same issues afterwards there will be some advice out there to help me.

Some of the "similar" problems reported state that Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) is the root cause, and that deleting (after boot into safe mode) some temporary files used by this process will cure the problem, but this did not appear to help me.

Normally I am quite anal about applying updates but in this case I will keep applying all the minor fixes offered by Windows Update and hang back on sp1 for a while until is becomes essential as a prerequisite for other patches.