PDA

View Full Version : Going to Wichita from UK any advice

RAPA Pilot
28th Mar 2008, 17:31
Hi Everyone,
I'm off to Wichita next week to do a Citation course at flightsaftey. Has anyone any tips about staying in Wichita, like where to eat, have a beer etc.
Regards

RP

gone till november
28th Mar 2008, 17:48
RAPA

Try the Cresthill Suites about 5 mins drive from FS.

The Fox and Hounds was always a good spot to nose bag in with fantastic waitresses.

It wouldnt be any advice without mentioning Hooters as well amongst many other fine establishments:suspect:

Good luck

Duck Rogers
28th Mar 2008, 17:51
Because you only bought 'PPRuNe Lite' ( you cheapskate) you don't have the 'Search' function on your screen ;)

Just this once I'll help you out with a few links. If you cough up and upgrade to 'PPRuNe Pro' you too could see the umptymillion results I got from 'Search'.

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=276946&highlight=wichita

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=27354&highlight=wichita

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=276946&highlight=wichita

NuName
28th Mar 2008, 19:18
I am so glad I do not know YOU. Wichita is a very friendly place, not like here sometimes. Time to change my name again:oh:

Duck Rogers
28th Mar 2008, 19:27
Oooh, touchy NuName.

See this ';)'? It appeared in my post up there. It means "I am not being serious/ this is written in fun/I was smiling when I wrote this or (as in this particular instance) I am doing you a favour"

I accept your apology.

ctrautve
28th Mar 2008, 20:00
If you like a GREAT steak, don't miss Scotch & Sirloin (http://www.scotchandsirloin.net/).

His dudeness
28th Mar 2008, 21:31
If you like a GREAT steak, don't miss Scotch & Sirloin.

+1

flybypilot
28th Mar 2008, 22:30
The Hilton on site is pretty good, facilities are good: pool, gym jacuzzi, free internet and a nice restaurant! recommend the 17oz T-Bone on T-Bone tuesdays if they still run that promotion and you like steak!!

Chinchilla.612
28th Mar 2008, 23:33
Got to be the Texas Roadhouse......great food, great service, and the waitresses perform a line dance every hour as well lol.

Flintstone
28th Mar 2008, 23:52
My sole memory is of a grey, gloomy, dreary, drizzly place.

Depression. Thy name is Wichita. :(

RAFAT
29th Mar 2008, 02:19
I sincerely hope thou art wrong Flintstone! but if you are, the lack of distractions will be a good thing.

ICT_SLB
29th Mar 2008, 02:20
Best beer in Wichita (it's brewed on the premises) is at the River City Brewery in downtown. Good beer-battered fish & chips too.

Probably heard it before but don't miss a visit to the Cosmosphere about an hour away in Hutchinson - probably the best collection of space memorabilia outside NASA & Star City.

AA SLF
29th Mar 2008, 04:48
Second the recommendation of the Hilton. Spent many a night there. ICT is a place where a car is a must have. This is true of most all American cities.

Sure Wichita can be damp, gray and gloomy - - but then England can be the same. Have fun and do stop in at least once at Hooters for the eye candy . . :ok:

BizJetJock
29th Mar 2008, 05:53
Wichita holds the distinction of being the only place in the world where I've checked in to the hotel and the receptionist has apologised because the city is so boring.......:eek:
Having said that, I must second ICT_SLB's recommendation of Cosmosphere.

G-SPOTs Lost
29th Mar 2008, 09:16
Ok dont forget Airport Annies

"Naughty or Nice you decide" :E

If you are going there for a Monday Morning course, Flight 55 from Manchester with American is a good service. It gets to Chicago with around an hour to spare for the MD80 or Embraer flight to ICT, 1 hour sounds tight but if you miss that one then there is another around 1 hour later. Always works for me.

If its the first time in Wichita would reccomend the Hilton, they have an aviators club on the second florr which is a well equipped pilots lounge with free breakfast and food, a nibbles fridge and a big TV. A lovely lady called Wanda will be there every morning to make sure you get fed!

ALso free beer on tuesday nights at the control tower bar together with more free food........

Let FSI book you at the hilton you'll get a better rate.

MerlinElMago
29th Mar 2008, 10:30
I went there last March and stayed at the Hilton. I would definitely recommend it because its in 3 min walking distance to FSI.

If you stay there, tell the receptionist if you're going to the Texas Road house, and you'll get a card which is worth a free appetizer.

I don't think that you'll need a car, because the Hilton has a free shuttle service taking you everywhere within 5Mi radius. I hace bought a 20$ Cell phone in the nearby Wall Mart to be able to call the Bellstaff whenever I needed a pickup...

Greets
Merlin

Crosswind Limits
29th Mar 2008, 10:32
G-Spot is right - would recommend the Hilton as it's 2 mins from Cessna Flight Safety.

I've just done my third tour and there's not much in town. However, if it's your first rating, the less distractions the better!

flybypilot
29th Mar 2008, 11:14
I am sure most pilots remember Jezebels too, don't be shy guys!

redsnail
29th Mar 2008, 13:22
I've stayed at the Cresta Suites (I think, a few years ago now) and I've also stayed at The Hilton Garden Inn Wichita hotel is in Lakeside Wilson Estates-Bradley Fair Office Park which was pretty good.

There's an Apple Reseller on the estate as well as a number of restaurants on site too. Nearby's a(nother) shopping mall and you're not too far away from the airport. (about 5 miles)

Nope, never been to Jezebels. :ok:

littletonyfokker
29th Mar 2008, 19:15
The Cresthill suites are very nice indeed, big rooms and friendly people. Breakfast is included but not so good, bottomline, it's too far from the Cessna side of town. More convenient if you go to Beechcraft, but you knew that anyway ;).

For lunch: Quizno's!

For dinner: Ted's Montana Grill, truly spectacular Buffalo steak!

Have fun! (Mind the tumbleweeds)

Mike Echo
29th Mar 2008, 20:53
Ah what memories!
Got to be the Hilton for Cessna and meet Wanda. Although the desk staff were very off hand when I was there last year.
I have stopped at the Hyatt a couple of times and it does have a shuttle bus although the rates were quite high.
Don't miss the "Steak and Sirloin" Eye catching scenery and great steaks. I made a mistake of ordering a starter which nearly finished me off for the main course.
Texas Roadhouse- Good fun
Hooters had moved off Kellogg and I'm not sure if it's returned?
The Cosmosphere is a must. I got a solo private showing (of the film!) in the IMAX cimema as there was nobody else there.
The museum in Old Town is actually quite good for killing a couple of hours.
Don't wear out your return ticket as you'll be picking it up every hour to check the return date after a few days.
For real excitment try stirring the coffee the opposite way.

Could somebody enlighten us on Jezebels! I think I've missed something.

On the plus side I've got no plans to be there this year.
Mike Echo
Wichita- The aviation Capitol with no direct flight to Europe!

aerodog
29th Mar 2008, 22:22
Wichita, the only place in the world where they serve Velveeta Cheese at the Exotic Food Counter.

Torch Lewis
Business & Commercial Aviation

The best steaks can be found at Chester's on North Webb Road.

Exceptional Thai food at Thai Traditions in Carriage Park, my favorite.

Tex-Mex, numerous locally owned some great, some not so great. The chains are a surer bet, Monterrey near the airport or Abuelo's across the lake from Chester's.

Fish, Bonefish grill (also a chain) A block or so East of Abuelo's. Good crab cakes and grilled trout.

Homestyle fried chicken, Stroud's on North Hillside. Used to be a barn, now an eating establishment.

Hamburgers. For a fast lunch Spangles, a local chain with a 50's motif (milkshakes served) or the more upscale Red Robin near Bonefish (alcohol served).

The Cosmoshpere a must. They were collecting Soviet space artifacts before anyone else thought about collecting Soviet materials. Also one of the few museums in the world with both a V-1 and V-2 rocket.

RAFAT
29th Mar 2008, 23:11
So I guess RAPA Pilot is destined to return a couple of stones heavier.

http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/ernaehrung/food-smiley-002.gif http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/wuerg/vomit-smiley-015.gif

verticalmach
1st Apr 2008, 13:30
I was in ICT last April and then again September just gone. Had a brilliant time.

I can definitely recommend the Texas Roadhouse, Scotch and Sirloin and Jez's is a must, bugger the cosmosphere.

The Hilton at the airport is very good and the staff I found to be very flexible, especially the drivers. Although they have no concept of lovely strong (hot) tea with a splash of milk they are getting better.

Old town on a Friday or Saturday night is as good if not better than any place you care to visit in the UK.

Have a good one.:ok:

Biscane
2nd Apr 2008, 07:32
Hey RAPA,

Your counterpart will know where to find the best french fries :p.
Goodluck and I'll see you in 2 1/2 weeks.

:cool: Biscane :cool:

RAFAT
2nd Apr 2008, 22:55
Hi Biscane, I don't believe this is a NetJets thing.

Flintstone
2nd Apr 2008, 23:50
RAFAT. You sure? I thought everything in here was Netjets :rolleyes:

RAFAT
4th Apr 2008, 01:32
Yes Flintstone, definitely not a NJ course.

Pilotech
8th Apr 2008, 07:19
I was there last year and had a great time. One of the best, er, 'Holidays' I had!

Stayed at the Hilton - Staff were great and facilities good. Walk to Flightsafety too. But I guess you're there now anyway.

You HAVE to go to the Bulllet Stop - a couple of hours and 50 bucks later you will have the biggest smile... Speak to Gerry Nash - (ask him about his licence)

Outback steak house good, IHOP a MUST!

Couple of good bars in the old town near teh river.

Not forgetting Wall Mart - A great hang out!

Above all, stuff the rating - enjoy the trip!