PDA

View Full Version : technical interview and practical exam

adriandecleir
28th Mar 2008, 17:05
Hi all ,im new here, just wondering does anyone know where I could get info on the technical interview and practical exam for starting an apprenticeship as an aircraft maintenance engineer. My problem is i really dont know where to start.
Are technical interviews generic for all engineering/technician work or would this one be specific to the job? Would it be a similar to a pilot one? I ask this because I have found books on the pilot technical interview.
Thanks if anyone has any help and can guide me in some direction it would be great

spannersatKL
28th Mar 2008, 17:23
Adrian
Look at it this way, you are being interviewed for an engineering apprentice position, so any knowledge would be of your own making as it were. No 'prior' knowledge would be required....however a real interest in the subject would be of use including your own practical knowledge? Did you work on your own bike? parent's car? Have you any basic tool skills? eg work in technical subjects at school. Have you read about the aviation from an early age? Do yo uunderstand the responsibilities of the job? Are you up to date on what is happening in the industry? In other words is it in our blood?

(Could also put this to many BA and BAA managers at the moment as I am sure there is no aviation in their blood!) :ok:

Rigga
29th Mar 2008, 00:29
IMO If this is your first interview;
Your interviewers will be searching for your attitude and you may do some aptitude tests to see if you have some logical/mechanical understanding.

There is nothing you can 'study' for these tests. Many of them are to test your reasoning and perception levels, whether you can read drawings and understand them.
For many people this is a natural thing - not taught.

It is not worth trying to be anything other than what you are.
Be honest in your replies and do what you are asked to the best of your abilities.
If you don't get selected it is likely that the competition is too strong at this particular company - not that you are not suitable for the job.

Don't apply for one apprenticeship - apply for all of them!

Best of Luck.
Rigga

U.K. SUBS.
29th Mar 2008, 10:03
Hi Adrian

One of the, or perhaps, the most important issue is the first impression as you walk in the door to meet your prospective employer. Your attaire, grooming and attitude are critical for an apprenticeship interview.Good luck.

Mr.Brown
30th Mar 2008, 10:29
At one of my previous employers, they gave budding apprentices an object to build with the use of instructions and a drawing. If you followed the instructions step by step it was impossible to get it all together and working.
What they wanted to see was someone who would follow the instructions all the way to the end and then figure out why it didn't work.. But the most important thing was to follow the instructions right to the end...

BeeBopp
31st Mar 2008, 15:07
Hi Adrian,

I cannot stress enough the importance of what the other guys have said here. You don't have experience on your side so first impressions mean everything. If your application has spelling or grammar mistakes it will almost certainly go in the bin. At interview think - appearance, bearing, manner - Would you invest a huge amount of time and money in this person because that is what taking on an apprentice involves and there is limited return on this investment for quite some time.

Good luck, let us know how you get on

LPS500
5th Apr 2008, 20:34
My two cents worth............

I started an apprenticeship in 1990 with the national carrier of a small country in the South Pacific, the company took on around 70 apprentices that year. Apptitude tests were carried out in bulk throughout the country, and were along the lines of 'In the sequence of shapes etc, what comes next'. I can't recall face to face interviews as it was a while ago, but I do remember the practical test. It consisted of a vertical piece of plywood with 10 holes drilled in it. The mission was to put 10 bolts through the holes with a washer each side and do up a nut on each! I clearly remember asking the instructor if it was some kind of joke, considering I'd applied for a job as fitter and turner and had to assemble a simple gearbox from a drawing at their practical test.

As previously posted it's more about how mechanically (or avionically) minded you are, are you a logical thinker, did you take practical subjects at school?

I was lucky to have a grandfather who taught me to strip and rebuild a lawnmower really early on, he taught me to use tools, to weld, and a whole lot more.

However, be sure aircraft engineering is really where you want to go. Look on this forum and you'll see airlines and repair stations going down the drain quite regularly unfortunately. I think if I was to advise my kids when they're old enough I'm not sure I could recommend aviation as a career path to go down. I've had a lot of fun, worked in some strange places, but not made a lot of money on the way. Once in the industry, it seems to me hard to get out. Looking at the job scene at the moment I wish I'd been in construction! It sure beats being in full breathing gear, in a howling southerly rain storm, on the ramp, opening the fuel tanks of a Hercules at 9pm on a Friday night!

adriandecleir
7th Apr 2008, 15:06
thanks for the tips everyone, Ive actually applied for a few different places. From what you all describe it seems to me more and more something Id really love to do, I am quite mechanically minded ,love working on my own motorbike even if its just the easier things(i.e. I wouldnt have the balls to take an engine apart yet). I also love electrics and did honours physics in school.
Im surprised by the last post just regarding the money, as Ive heard from others if your single and willing to travel theres plenty of money to be made on the long run, Im in my mid 20s and have put alot of thought into the decision and I think Ill really give it a go,Ill be broke for a long time but hopefully itll be worth the risk.

Anyone have any other advice on other other types of practical exams that would be great,
cheers

JSaeroengineer
7th Apr 2008, 17:01
that is the way to learn. take a spanner to your bike.
when i was a nipper, i took apart my parent's car engine in the rain, got water into the cylinder head, it mixed with the oil and voila! that engine was ready for the dump. (whoops:\).
that's how i learnt :ok:

adriandecleir
17th Apr 2008, 19:41
thanks everyone, got an apprenticeship in Shannon !! really appreciate it , im delighted!!!!

adriandecleir
17th Apr 2008, 19:41
thanks everyone, got an apprenticeship in Shannon !! really appreciate it , im delighted!!!!

Tony Mabelis
18th Apr 2008, 00:45
Congratulations, I'm pleased for you, Work hard, get a licence and the worlds your oyster!
I was in your position many years ago, I've had a very interesting career around the world, and I wouldn't have done any other job.

I retire from active aircraft maintenance in 9 months time.

Rigga
18th Apr 2008, 21:22
Well Done! - now the hard work starts.

Enjoy it all - it really is worth it.

Rigga

mini
18th Apr 2008, 22:22
"thanks everyone, got an apprenticeship in Shannon !! really appreciate it , im delighted!!!!"

I believe the social life amongst the guys down there can be distracting...

Congratulations, but stay focussed. :ok:

howard2107
22nd Apr 2008, 20:10
Well done, i might be a bit after the event but if you want to try your hand at a technical assessment have a look at the one on the ford motor company website, its the one that they use to assess potential car mechanics and its quite stretching.

Regards.................Howard

JSaeroengineer
22nd Apr 2008, 20:38
"try your hand at a technical assessment have a look at the one on the ford motor company website"

May we have a link?
Cheers