PDA

View Full Version : Americans at Emirates

CX747
14th Mar 2000, 08:50
Flew with Emirates to London over the summer and I was very impressed. Love those 777's. Anyway I'm a CFI in the US with a little over 1,000 hours. Currently I am building time doing aerial surveys with a Baron so multi time is starting to pour on in. Is there any possibilities for an American to get hired at Emirates or do they mostly concentrate on pilots from Europe and nationals. Thanks for any input.

Chris

HUE JORGAN
14th Mar 2000, 18:25
chris,
ek do have one or two americans working for them, i think this is more to do with the fact that emirates is a relatively unknown airline in the us, than anything else. However to be eligible to apply as an fo, you must have a min. of 2500hrs TT with 1000hrs of that being on jets. You will normally find however that most fo's are quite a bit more senior than that. You should try gulf air, who are based in Bahrain, as i believe the min. requirements are 1000hrs, + 200 multi. (please don't quote me on this!) If you can get with them you will have your 1000hrs on jets in no time and then be eligible for ek. (you will however probably have a 3 yr bond for the jet type-rating with gulf air) Hope this helps.

4HolerPoler
15th Mar 2000, 14:22
You're wasting your time applying to Gulf Air if you don't have a type-rating. (B767 or A320)

faheel
17th Mar 2000, 18:09
Agree with 4 holer here.
The only people that will type you are SIA, with the most horrendous bond in the world (somewhere in the region of 250 thousand usd)for the cadet scheme and thats about it as far as I am aware.
There are other airlines that will type rate you (Dragonair comes to mind) but you need airline experience to start with...sorry to put a damper on your dreams http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif

clickpilot
18th Mar 2000, 04:19
Would any Mid East carrier, for example Gulf allow you to self sponsor your type rating and guarantee an offer of employment?

I am not rich but planning to win some lottery money next week!#@$#@$#@#@ Well, you never know right? but seriously can you approach a chief pilot/ pilot recruiter with such proposal?

ironbutt57
18th Mar 2000, 10:53
cx747...to my knowledge, no expatriate cadet schemes exist in the M.E. anymore, gulfair's closed circa '89 when all the aussies got resigned..the good old usa is your safest bet to get a jet job, if you want to come to the gulf, you'll need a type rating and at least 500 hours on type..so if you have extra cash, consider a b-757/767 or better yet, an a-320 type..