PDA

View Full Version : DVD Licenses

Jaydee27
28th Mar 2008, 09:51
As lots of business jets come with swanky DVD players and individual screens, does anyone know the score regarding film licensing?

I've received conflicting advice from the companies in the UK that are meant to monitor this. FACT weren't interested, Filmbank were meant to get back to me two weeks ago and MPLC heard the word commercial and said I'd need to license on a per film and per showing basis.

As I suspect the brokering of aircraft is based on cost and availability, rather than the size of the video screens, I'd argue that there is no commercial benefit to having them on board.

However, as we'd like to provide a small library of films for pasengers to choose from, this still brings me back to the question - do we need to do anything to be covered legally?

FL470
28th Mar 2008, 12:09
I don't think that you need to cover any legal aspects. The owner of the aircraft eventually bought (will buy) the DVDs. So it's for private use only...

Correct me if I'm wrong!

Cheers

Gulfstreamaviator
28th Mar 2008, 12:25
We have 3 dvd players on board, all are unlocked, so world wide display, not locked to region 1 etc.

Then we have 6 portable players, these should not create any problem, except interference.

The installed players, are used either to show the company purchased dvd, or the pax bring thier own.

As the pax are paying customers, can we say that this is public exhibition.

If a prison need a licence, and then so should an aircraft...but who would be able to licence the installation...and how...

glf