PDA

View Full Version : Woman Says TSA Forced Piercings Removal

Sunfish
28th Mar 2008, 05:33
No comment. I'll leave the rest to your imagination.

LOS ANGELES (AP) - A Texas woman who said she was forced to remove a nipple ring with pliers in order to board an airplane called Thursday for an apology by federal security agents and a civil rights investigation.

"I wouldn't wish this experience upon anyone," Mandi Hamlin said at a news conference. "My experience with TSA was a nightmare I had to endure. No one deserves to be treated this way."

Hamlin, 37, said she was trying to board a flight from Lubbock to Dallas on Feb. 24 when she was scanned by a Transportation Security Administration agent after passing through a larger metal detector without problems.

The female TSA agent used a handheld detector that beeped when it passed in front of Hamlin's chest, the Dallas-area resident said.

Hamlin said she told the woman she was wearing nipple piercings. The women then called over her male colleagues, one of whom said she would have to remove the jewelry, Hamlin said.

Hamlin said she could not remove them and asked whether she could instead display her pierced breasts in private to the female agent. But several other male officers told her she could not board her flight until the jewelry was out, she said.

"http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8VM3DT00&show_article=1&image=large"]http://http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8VM3DT00&show_article=1&image=large

BEagle
28th Mar 2008, 06:36
If people will disfigure themslves with scrap metal, this is just one of the consequences.

Perhaps this will cause people to think again before they indulge in such revolting practices?

But TSA cold have behaved with a little more sensitivity, I guess.

pasoundman
28th Mar 2008, 07:04
BEagle
If people will disfigure themslves with scrap metal, this is just one of the consequences.

And you reckon your OWN lifestyle is beyond questioning ? Think carefully.

Perhaps this will cause people to think again before they indulge in such revolting practices?

What's revolting about it ?

But TSA cold have behaved with a little more sensitivity, I guess.

They could have shown a clue that it was no danger to anyone.

visibility3miles
28th Mar 2008, 07:24
The male officers reportedly had a good laugh at watching her display and then remove the metal bits with pliers. The news here said that they were trained to look for female terrorist bombers with videos that included a "bomb bra."

So, they thought the woman might pull these bits of "scrap metal" out of her .... and set off a hidden grenade that somehow eluded all other detection methods? :uhoh: :eek:

What about teenagers with metal braces on their teeth? Do they run a gauntlet of plier-wielding screeners cracking jokes about "metal mouth" and "railroad tracks"? :confused:

Away to jet blast...

Maple Leafs
28th Mar 2008, 07:48
Think I may get a foreskin ring albeit a little one.:}:}:{

Get one that needs to be rubbed to release. You know the ones, looks like a wallet but if you rub it, it turns into a suitcase.:ok:

It would be funny as hell.:E

What happens if she had a clitoris ring?:eek:

glad rag
28th Mar 2008, 09:37
Unbelievable. Is the US turning into some kind of fascist dictatorship?? Where were the PROPER police when this woman was assaulted?????

Of course this thread is useless without pictures.........:E

Howard Hughes
28th Mar 2008, 09:56
What if it wre a stainless steel hip or knee replacement, would she have been asked to remove that too?:eek:

This lunacy is not limited to the US either!:rolleyes:

ShyTorque
28th Mar 2008, 10:03
I think this is outrageous. All I can add is that the terrorist has achieved his aim, which is actually to disrupt the everyday lives of as many people as possible.

Most of the trouble is an "own goal" because we have been scared into building a situation where common sense is not allowed to prevail.

Alloa Akbar
28th Mar 2008, 11:18
Me and my metal finger are staying the hell out of L.A. :eek:

Tigs2
28th Mar 2008, 11:38
I am glad now that they have Disney world in Paris and Tokyo. It was the only reason for going to the states, It just isn't worth it anymore. I wonder if rates of tourism have dropped in the last few years?? I know its a good deal with the dollar, but the hassle just is not worth it. The rudest Cabin Crew known to man, and a similar experience as you go through immigration, before you get in the country it's stressful.

glad rag
28th Mar 2008, 11:45
Disney world in Tokyo? Tell me that is true please.....:confused:

Forkandles
28th Mar 2008, 11:45
Maybe we could send the UK immigration officers on a course in the states. Making it a pain to get in the country might actually be a good thing?

Tigs2
28th Mar 2008, 11:50
I could swear that i had heard of a Disney World in Tokyo:confused: Have i just crossed over from living in my other dimension:}

Forkhandles

Good idea!

Muffinman
28th Mar 2008, 11:59
Interesting situation if a crew member wearing the hidden jewelry was treated the same way - and refused to cooperate....:ooh:

keskildi
28th Mar 2008, 12:12
are we talking about the same TSA staff ? welcome to the USA.... motherf......s or so they say !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7AWw7t5zj0 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7AWw7t5zj0)

Beatriz Fontana
28th Mar 2008, 12:21
Whole new meaning to the concept of a ring pull...

Tigs2
28th Mar 2008, 12:28
Beatriz
:}:} Yellow Card:ok:

BlueDiamond
28th Mar 2008, 12:33
Yeah ... women wearing jewellery! Disgraceful. Don't know what the world is coming to. They should definitely be punished for that hey? All those people with pierced ears, all those Indian women (and others) with diamonds in their noses ... shocking state of affairs. Shouldn't be allowed. :rolleyes:

These idiot security people have lost the plot completely and it's time someone called them to account.

Gulfstreamaviator
28th Mar 2008, 13:36
Just hit a search engine.....

glf

FerrypilotDK
28th Mar 2008, 13:50
Trading freedom for security......result? Loss of freedom and lack of security. When are we going to learn that people with a f)(//&)#&/T( day course in "security" should not be the end station for common sense?????

Bin Laden and his ilk have "won" already, as the rest of us are frightened by our own shadows. Pitiful.....

Ken Wells
28th Mar 2008, 13:58
Did you know that Billy Connolly has got pieced nipples?

Wonder how he gets on globe trotting???

Tigs2
28th Mar 2008, 14:06
Ken:ok:
Every days a school day!

Ken Wells
28th Mar 2008, 14:20
Glad you learnt something new today!

Ozzy
28th Mar 2008, 14:25
Wouldn't want to try and get through that airport with a Prince Albert!:uhoh::eek:

Ozzy

Tigs2
28th Mar 2008, 14:37
But did Prince Albert actually have one??

Ken Wells
28th Mar 2008, 14:52
Quick GOOGLE reveals some disturbing stuff.

The Prince Albert piercing (PA) is one of the common forms of male genital piercing. The PA pierces the penis from the outside of the frenulum and into the urethra. There is also the "reverse Prince Albert piercing" which enters through the urethra and exits through a hole pierced in the top of the glans.

While some piercers may choose to avoid the nerve bundle that runs along the center of the frenulum altogether, others do not. The piercing may be centered if the bearer is circumcised. Otherwise, the piercing will be done to the side because the skin in the area needs to be able to reposition itself dynamically.

He probably did have one as of course he was German.

West Coast
28th Mar 2008, 16:40
Me and my metal finger are staying the hell out of L.A.

Uhh, hello it happened in Lubbock. You and your digit are welcome to stay the hell out of LA.

It was the only reason for going to the states

Cool, one less euro wearing a banana hammock on the beach. A slightly shorter line when I take the annual trip to Disneyland to boot. You'll be missed!

I just saw a picture of the women, she has no right to wear anything kinky. Perhaps a bag, but not a nipple ring

Krystal n chips
28th Mar 2008, 17:08
"she has no right to wear anything kinky, perhaps a bag"...........:hmm:

Do we take it fom this said lady is not, in your opinion, a svelte and lithesome member of the opposite sex then ?........and er, why should she not wear nipple rings....ever heard of freedom of choice, eroticism or even body jewelry ? ......and if you think that's "kinky"...better stick to the sanitised delights of Disneyland....it may prove rather traumatic if you were exposed to the real world......:D:E

con-pilot
28th Mar 2008, 17:28
it may prove rather traumatic if you were exposed to the real world......

The real world eh, just where would that be then? :p

TSA folks in small cities are not hired for their IQ. More likely just the opposite. However, and trust me on this, the TSA people involved will be punished, count on it.

There are only two things that will really get one who is a government employee fired or demoted.

One is to wreck a government vehicle while drunk and lie about it, the other is to embarrass an government agency to a point it hits national/international headlines. The lower the rank of the employee the harder and faster the hammer falls.

Krystal n chips
28th Mar 2008, 17:54
Con,

One where ladies wear nipple rings of course..........;)

Interesting comments below though.....over here the jobsworths would get promoted. I liked the bit about not lieing when you write off a Gov't vehicle whilst under the influence though......so it's ok then to say admit you went through a bottle of J D first then is it ? :)

West Coast
28th Mar 2008, 19:12
ever heard of freedom of choice, eroticism or even body jewelry ?

No, not for her.

kwachon
28th Mar 2008, 19:23
Well Ozzy...you started it....funny read on...

There is one drawback to having a Prince Albert piercing, because the ring goes through the urethra you will dribble when you urinate. This problem is worse for some people more than others. When urinating into a toilet bowl you have to stand with your legs on either side of the bowl, and make sure not to shake when you finish, just relax for a few moments before putting your penis away. When you are standing at a urinal stand with you legs well spread close to the urinal and lean forward with your back arched. The problem improves with time, and the insertion of the thicker ring, but it never goes completely away.

Bvgger, drip rings on the pants again....

visibility3miles
28th Mar 2008, 21:05
keskildi, your youtube link had this too...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jq4388OfZEI&NR=1

Ironically the film crew records the digital nude figures of pax while the voice over says there is no way to save the image, and they interview a young female pax saying, well I guess it's okay as long as they don't keep records... :rolleyes:

So, do TSA agents have cell phones busy uploading dangerous details to youtube to help train other agents?

:suspect: :{ :=

Enema Bandit's Dad
29th Mar 2008, 01:13
AN American woman has complained she was forced to remove a nipple ring with pliers in order to board an aircraft in Texas.

Mandi Hamlin has demanded a civil rights investigation as well as an apology over her treatment by America's Transportation Security Administration.

"I wouldn't wish this experience upon anyone," Ms Hamlin, 37, said. "My experience with TSA was a nightmare I had to endure. No one deserves to be treated this way."

Ms Hamlin said she was trying to board a flight from Lubbock to Dallas on February 24 when a female TSA agent used a handheld detector that beeped in front of her.

One of the woman's male colleagues said she would have to remove the body piercings.

She managed to remove one bar-shaped nipple piercing but had trouble with the second until given a pair of pliers.

She was then allowed to board although still wearing a belly button ring.

- AP March 29, 2008 12:00am

:ooh::ooh:

cargosales
29th Mar 2008, 01:55
West Coast: I just saw a picture of the women, she has no right to wear anything kinky. Perhaps a bag, but not a nipple ring

ever heard of freedom of choice, eroticism or even body jewelry ?
West Coast: No, not for her.

WC: I guess that puts you in the 'style over substance' camp then? The one where your personal definition of 'beauty' determines what you think people should and shouldn't be allowed to do or wear :yuk:

Personally I prefer to judge ladies by what's between their ears and by their mores rather than what they look like in a single picture but, hey, each to their own. Plus I guess being shallow saves a fortune when your time comes - the gravedigger only has to go down a few inches for you to fit in nicely!

In the meantime, please could you provide a picture/link to the sort of women you feel do have the right to wear kinky stuff, and some examples thereof? Just so the rest of us can research the subject thoroughly and pass informed comment on your personal tastes of course :E

PyroTek
29th Mar 2008, 02:27
how is this to do with australian aviation? its already around the forums anyway.

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=320111

Tigs2
29th Mar 2008, 03:43
Cargo
:D:D:D

Westie
That was a little unfair! Indeed ungentlemanly.

Islander Jock
29th Mar 2008, 05:02
Pyro, maybe not specifically related to Oz aviation but highlights yet another example of the stupidity of some of the security rules. Which unfortunately are not standardised throughout the industry worldwide. This example might serve as a warning to some who indulge in body peircing of their more itimate regions that whilst you will be ok boarding a plane in Australia, the case may well be totally different in other parts of the world.
I recently attended a seminar where a number of security professionals (as opposed to people who work in security), expressed their frustration and disbelief at the measures that have been implemented both here and abroad.

PyroTek
29th Mar 2008, 05:15
well i said that because personal experience with security in australia has been pretty positive, had a few hiccups, just small things, nothing near as serious as the plier-nipple-piercing incident.

AerocatS2A
29th Mar 2008, 05:23
I wouldn't wish for standardisation of security IslanderJock, chances are we'd then ALL have to endure this kind of crap.

West Coast
29th Mar 2008, 05:48
betcha WESTCOAST dosen't even have a passport..

Hope you didn't have much riding on that bet, it's a requirement of my job to have one.

That was a little unfair!

Given the generalizations of your earlier post I guess I'm in good company then.

ampan
29th Mar 2008, 06:15
What's the point of shoving safety-pins through oneself? On the one singular occasion that I ever found one, I didn't know what to do with the f*cking thing. Am I supposed to unclip and unthread it? Or do I simply admire the object, for what it is. ? But if the latter, then what the f*ck is it, and what the f*ck is it doing there?

I'm getting too old for this safety-pin stuff. There's far too much metal around these days.

Kangaroo Court
29th Mar 2008, 06:18
When you see this sort of behaviour, doesn't make you think the terrorists have already won?:ugh:

Capt Wally
29th Mar 2008, 06:28
........."I think this is outrageous. All I can add is that the terrorist has achieved his aim, which is actually to disrupt the everyday lives of as many people as possible.
Most of the trouble is an "own goal" because we have been scared into building a situation where common sense is not allowed to prevail."

The above says it all posted from 'ShyTorque' on the other thread of same subject.

The trouble is how do we 'undo' that belief of the Terrorists are winning without actually harming ourselves any further wish such lunacay as the nipple episode?:bored:

CW

PaperTiger
29th Mar 2008, 17:51
Since we are now into general generalizations, y'all are forgittin' this happened in Lubbock, Texas. Lubbock, famous for Buddy Holly and, and, somebody help me out here.

I expect Bubba the screener and his mates didn't know even there were such things as nipple rings etc., much less having encountered any. I do think we should make allowances :p

No country for young women ?

CottonEyeJoe
29th Mar 2008, 19:35
Lubbock named after Confederate Soldier Tom S Lubbock in 1887 after he Taken from the Spanish and after wiping out the Comanche and Cheyanne and decimating the vast Buffalo herds that used to roam the Great Plains, signed the Texas Declaration of Indepence.

Lubbock Airport was named Lubbock Preston Smith International after former Gov Preston Smithhttp://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh157/cottoneyejoe_bucket/197px-Smith-p01.jpg
SMITH, PRESTON EARNEST (1912~2003) Preston Earnest Smith, Governor of Texas, was born March 8, 1912, in Williamson County, Texas. One of 13 children, he attended schools in both Williamson and Dawson Counties. Upon his graduation from Lamesa High School in 1930, Smith worked his way through Texas Technological College, now Texas Tech University, where he received a Bachelor of Business Arts degree in 1934. In 1935, he married fellow Texas Tech graduate, Ima Mae Smith, of Crosby County.

Smith's two terms as Governor were severely marred by political unrest throughout the United States and scandal in Texas. The Vietnam War and the Watergate Scandal were plaguing President Richard Nixon and the country, while the Sharpstown Stock Fraud Scandal shook Texas to its core.
The scandal single handedly changed the face of Texas politics. Almost all incumbents were voted out of office, including Smith. When the 63rd Legislative Session met in January, 1973, half of the members of House of Representatives were new, including the Speaker, and a larger than normal turnover occurred in the Senate. New leaders for Texas' highest offices were also inaugurated. Smith lost his bid for a third term in office and returned to Lubbock. After his death it was allegeldly revealed he kept a secret from his wife Ima Mae for over 40 years, as he had both nipples pieced as part of a Lubbock Secret Society initiation ceremony.

On the Lubbock tourist site it states "Come to Lubbock , unlock the innner cowboy in you"

A bit "Break back Mountain" if you like

PaperTiger
30th Mar 2008, 16:04
After his death it was allegeldly revealed he kept a secret from his wife Ima Mae for over 40 years, as he had both nipples pieced as part of a Lubbock Secret Society initiation ceremony.All becomes clear now, Joe. Only members of the Society are permitted to wear nipple rings in Lubbock, or perhaps she omitted to use the Secret Handshake.

Ken Wells
30th Mar 2008, 20:22
Maybe we could start a craze and name the piecing a "LUBBOCK" I am sure that would would p*ss of the rednecks of Lubbock County!!