PDA

View Full Version : Anti malarial pills and rip-off UK

modtinbasher
27th Mar 2008, 19:49
Tinbashette and I are trying to get some anti-malarial pills for a forthcoming break. Our GPs pharmacy says we need 7 each and that will cost us £13.50 per seven.

I thought we might get this stuff for nothing, as our jabs were free, moreover, on account of being a certain age, we get free prescriptions as well. But Aralen or generically Chloroquine is a 'holiday requirement' for which one must pay for.:mad:

Now, I can buy online, from an outlet in the UK, some 300 of the things for £38.00 or so! Then why does my rip-off doctor or local chemist want nearly an arm and a leg for 14 of the things?

It would cost the NHS a damn sight more if we took no precaution and then had to be treated for the disease at a future time!! Free needles for druggies is well ok then, but want a holiday and take suitable precautions, then you pay!

As Maggie so cleverly stated many years ago...."I don't want to deny anyone the right to contribute to their eye test......(et al)" and "the National Health Service is safe with me"!!

That's when the rot really started.:ugh:

MTB

gingernut
27th Mar 2008, 20:13
Whilst I understand your frustration, why do you think that your doctor is ripping you off?

modtinbasher
28th Mar 2008, 10:36
Well gingernut, if these tablets work out at £0.20 each online, but £2.00 each from my GP, wouldn't you consider that's a bit extortionate?

However, here's a question that you can help me with. Our trip is to Belek, Turkey, so do we really need to take the pills anyway?

MTB

gingernut
28th Mar 2008, 23:06
Well gingernut, if these tablets work out at £0.20 each online, but £2.00 each from my GP, wouldn't you consider that's a bit extortionate?

Sorry mate, hate to be pedantic, and defensive on behalf of my workmates, but I'm interested to know, has your GP taken money off you?

Why are you calling him a rip off? (It's not rhetorical, I am interested)

Anyway, have a freebee.....consider tablets if travelling to the east/souh east border (Syria/Iraq), be more relaxed if travelling to tourist resorts ......consider non drug measures,(and deet or The Guardian equivalent, and report your travelling to your rip off doc (mention malaria parasite blood test) if feverish in the 3 months on return.

If you're buying your tabs online, souce them in the UK.

ex dog
28th Mar 2008, 23:24
I, left the UK and Worked for seven years in Africa , and still live here now
never taken an Anti- Malarial drug ,if you get sick (malaria) the best place you can be is Africa ,Asia ,Pacific , because they no how to treat it ,

my advice is don;t get caught up ,on the expensive drugs in th UK ,its a huge rip off

gingernut
28th Mar 2008, 23:30
unless you die :{

Which, I have to admit, is pretty rare in returning tourists. (4 a year on my last count - (UK)).

Work out your own cost /benefit equation.

I, left the UK and Worked for seven years in Africa , and still live here now
never worn a seat belt ,if you crash (motorway) the best place you can be is Africa ,Asia ,Pacific , because they no how to treat it ,

my advice is don;t get caught up ,on the expensive seat belts in the UK ,its a huge rip off

ex dog
29th Mar 2008, 00:13
I ,do understand your worries, but profralatics (sorry if wrong spelling)
for Malaria only suppress the the situation you maybe in ,

like i said previous , if you think you have Malaria , and believe me you will
no, go to the nearest hospital and ensure they give you a Saline Drip ,just to get fluids back into your ,body ,then ask for a blood test ,

then ask for QUININE on drip it will sort you out ,i swear

obgraham
29th Mar 2008, 04:15
Please....
Let's not be treating malaria by internet "helpful hints".

I don't disagree that medical folks in the endemic areas are more familiar with malaria treatment, can make the diagnosis faster, and have more and varied drug therapies available to them.

Treatment of the disease, and the question of preventive drugs for people spending a long time in the endemic area is a whole different question from that asked by the OP.

I suggest you follow the area-specific advice provided by experts (CDC, WHO, and UK Tropical Med folks) rather than taking advice from somebody who "went there once and...". If it means spending a few more bits of your local currency, so be it.

Look Here (http://http://www.nathnac.org/ds/c_pages/country_page_tr.htm#non_vpr_mal) and here (http://http://wwwn.cdc.gov/travel/destinationTurkey.aspx), for starters. Then pick one, since they do not quite agree!

modtinbasher
29th Mar 2008, 15:21
Thanks everybody! Gingernut, no I've not handed over any money yet, and will not do so if there is no real call to. Regarding the doc price v the online price, just felt there was a bit too much of a markup. Previous GP to present one always had cheques made for prescriptions made out to him personally, always thought there was something odd there as well! But there we are! Evidently £100,000 per year is not enough..........

MTB

gingernut
29th Mar 2008, 18:51
Fair comment, I 'aint a GP, but I do prescribe.

Your GP has to write a private prescription for anti-malarials. His hands are tied unfortunately.

I guess he can charge what he wants for this. Personally, I don't charge. (The patient does still have to pay a charge at the pharmacy).