PDA

View Full Version : F18 shows how not to do it

Tiger_mate
27th Mar 2008, 17:39
Midland Air Show, Texas USA. F18 departure over rotates whilst in reheat.
http://www.richard-seaman.com/Aircraft/AirShows/Midland2007/Highlights/F18TailStrike07.jpg
A timely reminder as we enter the airshow season of the fine line between looking good, and being a dork.

Photo: Richard Seaman

maxburner
27th Mar 2008, 19:17
It's still a great jet!

engoal
27th Mar 2008, 20:10
When I were but a lad, a well known CWI on a well known Wpns Conversion Unit at a secret airbase in Suffolk managed to do something similar at the opposite end of the flight cycle, whilst executing an aerodynamic landing. Both nozzles were ground away such that the rollers at the 6 o'clock position were exposed. Oops!

High_lander
27th Mar 2008, 20:26
At least it's not like this (http://www.airliners.net/photo/USA---Marines/McDonnell-Douglas-F-A-18.../0268462&photo_nr=6&prev_id=0696104&next_id=0953370&size=L).

Tourist
27th Mar 2008, 21:32
"The fine line between looking good and being a dork"

Do both, join the Red Arrows!:ok:

Spam_UK
27th Mar 2008, 23:59
Tourist

:D:D:D

ehwatezedoing
28th Mar 2008, 00:39
See the positive side, at list it's not the bottom of a loop :ok:

Cubs2jets
28th Mar 2008, 02:44
You mean like this???

C2j

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj200/Cubs2jets/untitled.jpg?t=1206672212

Tigs2
28th Mar 2008, 02:53
He is a complete Hom! He has at least another two inches:ooh:Amateur!

G-ZUZZ
28th Mar 2008, 06:32
Speaking of dorks:

"Richard" Seaman

South Bound
28th Mar 2008, 09:22
Great pic though, and we do all make mistakes...

Go Smoke
28th Mar 2008, 11:33
What's the story with the Mig clubs2jets?

ehwatezedoing
28th Mar 2008, 12:31
You mean like this???

C2j

See the positive side, at list it's not a gear up landing :ok:

sailor
28th Mar 2008, 15:42
Precise BOTTOM Of A MiG15's Loop

Contributor says : " The tail strike occurred during at a 1990 air show in Harrison, Arkansas. Kelly, who was a technician for the FAA and somewhat

of a camera buff, was tracking with his camera, as this guy looped off the deck in a MiG-15.

The pilot had just completed a loop and misjudged his pull-out. Everyone

considering themselves as potential victims, took-off running in all directions.

But Kelly had a non-threatening position along with a strong motivation to take

the picture. So just as the MiG scraped the ground, Kelly captured this rare image.

Had it been circulated at the time, this once in a lifetime photograph might have earned an award.

A few weeks later, in Fort Smith, Kelly was showing me these pictures he had developed at a local Wal-Mart. I asked him for a copy and now have it hanging

on my office wall – a clear depiction of the tiny difference between life and death.

Oh, by the way, the guy just made a wide circle, lowered his landing gear, touched down . . then taxied in showing scratched paint, but no sheet metal damage.

GPMG
28th Mar 2008, 15:52
Edited for 'what I think happened'.

Oh, by the way, the guy just made a wide circle, lowered his landing gear, touched down . . then taxied in, changed his pants, bought a lottery ticket and then finished off a bottle of Jim Beam. He now runs a small church in Arkansas where he thanks the lord every day.

Ewan Whosearmy
28th Mar 2008, 16:28
Precise BOTTOM Of A MiG15's Loop

That would be a MiG-17.

GreenKnight121
28th Mar 2008, 18:28
While I was stationed at MCAS El Toro (Orange county, Ca) in 1988, we had a much worse one during an airshow 24 April.

USMC Marine Col. Jerry Cadick, commanding officer of MAG-11 (Marine Air Group... composed of 4 squadrons), and due to retire in a few weeks, was doing a solo performance in one of his squadron's Hornets.

I can't remember what he was supposed to do on the pull-up from his low pass, but it was NOT what he actually tried... a loop.

The news had good footage of him realizing his mistake and applying full afterburner and pitching up... followed by dragging the tail along the ground, then slamming onto the ground in a ball of flame.

He survived (severe facial injuries from the control stick, as well as broken arm, elbow and ribs, an exploded vertebra and a collapsed lung), and got to do a "one-time retirement flight" (in a "B" model with an instructor-pilot carefully supervising from the rear seat) about 4 months later.

I drove past the plane every day for a few months (it was on a trailer next to the road into the Hornet hangar area), and it was an impressive sight. The engines had been ground off diagonally from the lower front to the upper rear just before the "feathers" (which were completely missing).

Here is the you-tube video of the crash:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keCnK4kh65U

The ATC didn't help his concentration, telling him he had to hurry up his routine due to being behind schedule during his maneuvers!

Tiger_mate
28th Mar 2008, 18:57
The Air Traffic Controller wants his head removed and a smelly log inserted into his neck. What a dick, and without doubt the cause of this accident. Feel for a guy whose career ends on a downer to to a third party who should have known better. I believe that in the UK the quiet freq for a display is pretty much tower/pilot and nobody else, and quiet is the way unless a bubble incursion by another aeroplane presents a hazard that must be announced. That video would be a good conversation piece at any Flight Safety Forum, thankyou for the link GreenKnight.

SRENNAPS
28th Mar 2008, 20:14
That picture is definitely a Mig 17 because it has 3 wing fences; Mig 15’s only had two.

My question is more to do whether it is a picture of a model aircraft because I am sure I have seen it before.

Apologies and no insult intended if it was a real Mig and a very scared pilot.

SRENNAPS
28th Mar 2008, 20:25
Just being polite.

Paul C
29th Mar 2008, 09:56
Here is one of a Mirage.
Paul

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LkagMC8lAo