View Full Version : Jimmy Dell

Genghis the Engineer
27th Mar 2008, 16:51
Just come out on the SETP Email list:

Sent: Thursday, March 27, 2008 7:19 AM
Subject: Wg Cdr James Dell RAF (Ret)

The Society was saddened to learn of the passing of Wg Cdr James Dell on Tuesday, 25 March after a prolonged illness at the age of 83.

Wing Commander Dell was inducted in SETP as an Honorary Fellow in 2002. The funeral service will take place at 11:30 on Thursday, 3 April at St. Thomas’ Church, Lytham St. Annes, Lancashire, United Kingdom.

Also seen on another forum (http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showthread.php?p=1232770).

I'm sorry to say that I never had the chance to meet him, but can't help regret the lost of one of the great men of British test flying.

G

the_tartanterror
27th Mar 2008, 19:17
I had the pleasure of corresponding with Jimmy Dell several times. He was amongst the most modest and helpful Test Pilots i have had the pleasure of corresponding with. He patiently answered my questions about his career and about Lightning,TSR2 and Jaguar.

A true gentleman and great pilot

RIP

Teadriver
28th Mar 2008, 02:14
An absolute gentleman in every sense of the word, and he exemplified all that can be good about humans in general - professional, charming, unassuming, funny, and an embracer of what's good in life and a rejecter of what's bad. Britain and aviation has just got poorer.

H Peacock
28th Mar 2008, 18:20
I had the honour of meeting Jimmy Dell a couple of years ago. A wonderful man who was quite happy to spend a considerable amount of time chatting to a 'nobody' who wanted to hear all of his Canberra/Lightning/TSR2 stories. Also met him some months later, and again he spared me the time for a chat.

Didn't ever work with him, but concur that he is a legend within the world of aviation, and will be greatly missed.