PDA

View Full Version : Medical renewal - eyesight

sparx007
27th Mar 2008, 13:16
Could somebody please advise as to renewal of the class 1 with regard to eyetests. The medical says eye test is required every 2 years which is fair enough but can i simply go to any opticians for this and if so how do i inform the CAA that i have done this? I don't believe i have to go back to the CAA eye examiner that first issued the medical.

Any info is much appreciated.

Sparx

Flying Wild
28th Mar 2008, 00:06
I do believe that there is a form which you can download from the CAA website - Medical section, which you take along to the opticians and get them to fill in. The details should be on the CAA website.

Whirlygig
28th Mar 2008, 00:48
Subject to your age, how often do you have to renew your Class 1?

If you go for your Class 1 renewal, a basic eye test will be performed. If you fail this, your AME may suggest you go to an optician and have a full test and send the result back to him.

That's what I did when my AME thought I was short-sighted and ended up being 6/4 and needing reading glasses!

Cheers

Whirls

whitehorse
29th Mar 2008, 11:50
Hi, Just had my eyesight done locally in the UK. Down load the form from the CAA website and take it to your local opthalmologist. Have it done before you go for the medical and take it with you. No major problems:).
The only thing that my guy had to do was borrow, from a friend, a specific item of RAF equipment, to complete the test. This eye stuff is a bit of a black art to me so I dont know what he was measuring. But it was a very basic bit of gear. Cost £50 for the test which I did not think was too bad as it took nearly 1 hour, including a long chat about flying, might of picked up a new student;).
Sorry, to answer your Q completely, your medical examiner will take the form off you and send it to the CAA. You will not get your medical signed off until you have had the eyesight test completed.
WH

GuinnessQueen
29th Mar 2008, 12:17
The extended eye examination (form can be downloaded from CAA website) is required ONLY if you already wear glasses/lenses. Otherwise the AME will just conduct a basic test of your visual standards.

The extended eye examination requirments changed last year. Every 5 years for prescriptions up to -6d, every 2 years if worse (and I don't know about long sighted limits). As previous posters have stated, all can be found in the medical section of the CAA website.

GQ