PDA

View Full Version : Aviation Optical, Coventry.

Jackboot
27th Mar 2008, 12:32
I have just completed my Aviation Optical experience, having just picked up a pair of specs with reading lens/ flip up sunglasses for use in the R44/ closed cockpit machines, plus a pair of Goggles with reader incorporated for open cockpit navigation.

My long sight is excellent but, like most 55+ pilots, I struggle to read a map without glasses.

Aviation Optical is a unique setup, established specifically to equip pilots with exactly what they need. They have a cockpit simulator room which can be illuminated from the darkest night conditions to bright sunlight.

The placing of the instruments, together with a very clever head mounted test rig, enables the optimum focal length to be decided and, in my case, the precise position required for the reader portion of the lenses at the bottom.

I have always resisted the idea of flip-ups in case the Style Police spotted me(!). However, these have moved in the last few years and I ended up with a pair of 'Rudy Project' specs with flip up/ detachable sunnies. These are on a clever ratchet system so it is possible to shade your eyes only if you dont need the full protection.

A very stylish product indeed, made to meet the requirements of an Italian aerobatic team.

I tried them out in the car on the way home and can say that the reader is in the perfect position. No more tipping your head back to read the panel or a map.

As far as the goggles are concerned, I have worn Nannini Roadstars - a very light motorcycle goggle - for some years. They are far better than the ex RAF Mk 8's and 9's being much lighter and more comfortable to wear, despite a similar style.

These have a very clever lens fitting on the inside of the glass. Again, time and trouble spent at AO resulted in the reader being in the optimum position.

Interesting also that the prescription I had done at a High Street optician days before actually didnt suit the cockpit environment in view of the focal length differences.

All in all then, a huge thumbs up and thank you to Aviation optical. No more fumbling around swapping sunglasses for readers - never easy in a heli. Swapping goggles/ readers in the draughty open cockpit environment is a thing of the past now. Hurrah!

Check out -

http://www.aviationoptical.co.uk/

A great company with a great future and staffed by keen professionals.

The lovely Nicky came away with a very nice pair of bespoke Titanium sunglasses too. She has always struggled with the pressure on the side of her head due to the headset pressing on the arms. Again, AO sorted her out with the perfect frame and lens combination.

Price? You get what you pay for. Thats all I will say. Money very well spent IMO.

Jack