PDA

View Full Version : Longest Taxi to/from the Runway

Mach086
27th Mar 2008, 11:32
A question to all the pilots here. I was just wondering what is the longest taxi in terms of distance from a runway to the airport you have done. Having a quick look at googlemaps, the new runway at schipol seems to be some distance from the terminal and also some of the runways at dallas/denver seem to b e quite far from the terminal.

K.Whyjelly
27th Mar 2008, 18:05
My money (within Europe) would be a landing on Polderbaan, at Schipol. Timewise, up to 20mins in good vis and sometimes longer than the actual flight itself when taxi-ing in under LVP's.:bored:

Visual Calls
27th Mar 2008, 18:46
Concur that in Europe, it's probably 18R/36L in AMS. Taxiing in or out takes an inordinately long time, particularly if you can't cross 36C at W5 and are forced to go around the thresholds.

crispey
27th Mar 2008, 23:46
Liverpool in the old days when using 27 and the terminal was in the old building.Seemed to cost a fortune when using brakes off to brakes on charging rates for a PA-28.

Gar
27th Mar 2008, 23:59
I was in AMS last summer and I was baffled by the amount of time spent taxiing. I would expect that to be the longest. I do remember taxiing at Bournemouth recently and it seemed to take a long time but I was tired and had been delayed for hours so maybe it was all in my head

chiglet
28th Mar 2008, 00:41
Landed at Brisbane and the taxi to the "Intenational" terminal took eons
watpiktch

RingwaySam
28th Mar 2008, 10:21
Only been to AMS once but I transited. We landed at the Polderbaan, only for the winds to change and depart from the same runway in the other direction - So out of two landings and two takeoffs, we used the Polderbaan three times. Not something i'd like to do again :uhoh:

airborne_artist
28th Mar 2008, 11:15
Barcelona is another long one - up to 15 mins from the terminal to the S runway, as you have to go round the new terminal being built in between th N and S runways.

Sat pic (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=barcelona+airport&ie=UTF8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&ll=41.293672,2.084742&spn=0.029277,0.058365&t=h&z=14)

Gar
28th Mar 2008, 11:58
I have also experienced this. Takes even longer when you are flying on a chartered aircraft for a football game and to keep costs down the aircraft is parked miles away from the terminal and you have to be bussed to your aircraft. It did reduce actual taxi time but it seriously increased gate-to-runway time. We also had to let about 6 aircraft jump us in the queue when holding short of the runway :sad:

razzele
28th Mar 2008, 12:02
Madrid especially if your a loco and for some reason using rw 36r

BYALPHAINDIA
28th Mar 2008, 12:31
Yeah, Amsterjam has to be a contender, Although from experience PMI (Palma) can be quite a wait especially on a Saturday Afternoon in May.

Shortest - Could be Corfu, about 3 minutes.

G BYAI. :ok:

BYALPHAINDIA
28th Mar 2008, 12:33
Talking about AMS they say that ATC can't see the new Polderbaan as it is 2 miles away from the tower.:ugh::}

chrisr150
28th Mar 2008, 13:08
Polderbaan at AMS actually has its very own tower and fire station...

littco
28th Mar 2008, 23:09
Have to agree with airbourne_artist.Barcelona, Last time I was there we where parked on the GA apron and it took 17mins to taxi to the southern rwy.. Good for the log book I guess!

al446
29th Mar 2008, 11:03
AMS both longest and shortest, was on delayed EZY flight (as pax) and ended up with 09, could have spat on r'way from terminal. 36L to terminal is a lifetime.

parabellum
30th Mar 2008, 00:41
I think the longest I can remember is from the freight apron at O'hare to the threshold of the northwesterly r/w. Once airborne, (at 02.00local), got two small hdg changes from ATC and then direct to the OM r/w 24 at LAX!
(Due our early arrival we had to go round to 05/06).

paarmo
3rd Apr 2008, 22:26
Was on an inbound flight to MME last year which aborted at the last minute because the Turkish flight in front couldn't find the terminal building and was lost on the airport. For God's sake it's the only building for miles. Twenty minutes later we landed and beat the Turkish passengers into Immigration/Customs. They must have been perplexed to say the least.

daelight
4th Apr 2008, 10:35
Anyone else clocked CDG?

It took close to 30mins to taxi to stand there, it wasn't even that we had stopped for any length of time.. just taxi time ...