PDA

View Full Version : Claims of drink spiking on plane

Metro Boy
27th Mar 2008, 10:13
I found this at http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,23441717-5005961,00.html

A WOMAN claims her drink was spiked on a Jetstar flight to Thailand.

Former flight attendant Anamaree Correia, 34, told the Seven Network she was on a flight from Sydney to Phuket when her bottle of water was spiked.

She passed out and later woke to find her dress soaked in urine, she said.

Ms Correia said she was sitting near three Australian soldiers on the flight.

Jetstar says it has not received a formal complaint from Ms Correia but will investigate the incident if one is made.

Ms Correia said she was sitting next to a soldier on the flight, with two of his mates in the seats in front.

"They were in the Australian Army based in Sydney," she told Seven.

She had a meal and a small glass of wine at the start of the flight, before going to the bathroom.

"(I) went off to the bathroom and left my water bottle, as everyone does, you don't think anything of it," she said.

She returned to her seat, drank the water and started to feel ill.

"I started feeling this really bizarre hot sensation start from the top of my head," she said.

"I was just completely paralysed and then I passed out."

Ms Correia said when she woke up, more than an hour later, she was dazed and her dress was soaked in urine.

"I was mortified, I was just devastated," she said.

"It was just a big power trip for them.

"This doesn't just happen in nightclubs, it can happen anywhere."

Ms Correia said the Jetstar cabin manager did not encourage her to get the authorities involved.

But Jetstar said Ms Correia was asked during the flight if she wanted to take the matter further and she declined.

A spokesman said the cabin crew's report for the flight recorded a passenger falling ill and being taken to a curtained crew area.

She was offered medical assistance during the flight and when it arrived in Thailand, he said.

"We've received nothing in respect to a formal complaint from the passenger," he said.

"If a complaint is brought forward we will look into the matter expeditiously."

Capt Under Pants
27th Mar 2008, 10:21
I don't know what to say. If its true, I hope the B*&^&&%%%& get everything they deserve!

Arm out the window
27th Mar 2008, 10:38
erm ... how's about innocent until proven guilty, there, Capt?

Jabawocky
27th Mar 2008, 10:46
And its not JETSTARS fault either!

Maybe the police should investigate it and then let her have 15 min with them tied to a chair!

Disgraceful conduct from anyone let alone those charged with serving and protecting our people.

J

Bushfiva
27th Mar 2008, 11:01
Again, with Arm Out The Window here.

BubbaJ
27th Mar 2008, 11:06
Oh my god...I have just p....d myself, better blame someone...I could not have possibly done this all on my own. Someone must have spiked my drink!!!

What a joke

airtags
27th Mar 2008, 11:35
Had to laugh then realised that I am actually defending JetSAR on this one.....[airtags Private message protagonists please make diary note that I am actually defending an LCC]

Note the key descriptor in the alleged victim's relationship to the airline...I seem to recall that the word 'former' was used.

Might have been a few 'snakes on the plane' intentions by the proximity pax identified by the alleged victim, but the story definately has a few (dare I say it)...... holes.

TLAW
27th Mar 2008, 12:19
My question is; whose p%ss was it?:ooh:

ules
27th Mar 2008, 12:27
surely a urine or a blood test would prove if she was drugged!
i think its just a publicity stunt you cant be that dumb not to get tests done and keep the evidence. especialy if u you wet yourself and are comlpetly paralized.
:bored: i wonder wat the verdict could be, il be watching with intrest.
if it is true i hope the guys gets wats coming to them.

AerocatS2A
27th Mar 2008, 15:24
Note the key descriptor in the alleged victim's relationship to the airline...I seem to recall that the word 'former' was used.
Doesn't say anything about a relationship with the airline, just "Former flight attendant". She could be ex Cathay Pacific for all we know.

Wiley
27th Mar 2008, 16:48
So let me get this straight... at least one of three Grunts travelling together to Asia carry Rhoey in his carry-on baggage on an international flight - (as you do!) - and risks getting pulled over at how many points during security screening, both getting on the flight in Oz and getting off the flight in Asia.

Suppose it's possible, (and accepting that, like most of us, your average Grunt is not a rocket scientist), but I'd have to ask myself what did they think they'd need Rhoey for in Asia? Turning a hooker catatonic after they paid for her services?

Sounds awfully like a young woman who forgot that one drink equals two at a cabin altitude of 8,400' and is trying to assuage her acute embarrassment at the result of overimbibing at altitude.

newsensation
27th Mar 2008, 20:40
She had a meal and a small glass of wine at the start of the flight, before going to the bathroom.

Why not question the food and drink supplied by J*...

call button
27th Mar 2008, 20:58
1. Declines medical assistance on the flight.
2. Makes no formal complaint to the airline.
3. Goes public on TV - was she paid?

4. Sounds odd!

lowerlobe
27th Mar 2008, 21:55
Anyone ever taken a Rohy?.....

I think she would have had difficulty waking up after landing let alone after an hour or so....But then there are a multitude of substances which could have had an effect such as this.

Perhaps she had taken a sleeping tablet herself such as temaze when she went to the toilet and was embarassed at what happened....

Who knows.....but if her drink was spiked or she thought it was then she should have taken the matter further and if a blood and urine test came back positive for a substance then there is a case to answer for...

The problem then is how or who do you proportion blame....You can hardly convict someone if their only crime is to be in the army...

If she had raised the issue Customs could or may have been persuaded to search the soldiers and surrounding pax for any substances.

captwawa
27th Mar 2008, 23:21
was it the high quality airline food????

lowerlobe
27th Mar 2008, 23:33
Possible but unlikely as the reaction was too fast and only one person was affected.

blow.n.gasket
28th Mar 2008, 01:01
I'm surprised she didn't find her pillow and blanket had been swiped as well, when she went to the loo.

crank1000
28th Mar 2008, 01:21
How silly is this woman? According to most of the media reports these days, the military is all batting for the same team! What would 3 Army guys want with her? Next thing we hear these guys will be accused of being paedo's then where will she be?

The point I'm trying to make was mentioned earlier in that if she was so sure about who did this supposed thing to her why didn't she speak up? If she was a victim of drink spiking why didn't she accept assistance from the crew?

If you watch overseas news stories these days you will notice a common theme. All crimes where an accurate description of a person aren't available in the US and UK are either perpetrated by a "Hispanic looking guy" (US) or an "Eastern European" looking guy (UK). In Australia it seem to be all the fault of the "Army Guy".

Is the fact that an Army guy was sitting next to her means it must be true? Because so far that's all she is basing this allegation on.

twiggs
28th Mar 2008, 02:02
The point I'm trying to make was mentioned earlier in that if she was so sure about who did this supposed thing to her why didn't she speak up? If she was a victim of drink spiking why didn't she accept assistance from the crew?

If someone has been the victim of drink spiking, they would hardly be in a frame of mind so soon after the incident to be sure about what exactly happened.
That is probably why in such cases, the victim is more inclined to be embarrassed, thinking perhaps they did get drunk or it was in some way their fault and therefore wishing not to attract any more attention to themselves.
Maybe that is why she didn't mention it earlier and didn't accept assistance from crew.
(If at all any of this is accurate as we all know that journalists only print facts:rolleyes:)

dudduddud
28th Mar 2008, 02:08
What's Rhoey?

B A Lert
28th Mar 2008, 02:37
Quote:

Possible but unlikely as the reaction was too fast and only one person was affected.

A great shame that humor is lost on some people around here!!

4PW's
28th Mar 2008, 03:08
Was she porked or not? :E

200psi
28th Mar 2008, 03:09
Was sitting next to a well dressed businessman who was travelling with a priest and a monk sitting in the row in front, doesn't have quite the same ring to it mmmmmmm.

Who is she to question the character and integrity of someone by the colour of their "uniform" and the country they serve. :mad:

Minimbah
28th Mar 2008, 03:36
Why would 3 diggers spike a woman's drink at 30,000 feet? What are they going to do with her. Surely they are not going to try for a record of 4 in an aircraft toilet.

Methinks there is more to this one!:ugh:

RedTBar
28th Mar 2008, 06:28
A great shame that humor is lost on some people around here!!
Now from the person that wrote that to comment about a sense of humour is really funny.
The best one so far is the one about the pillows and blanket.

I go along with minimbah and say there is more to this than is published or told.
If all of a sudden you woke up groggy and had wet yourself and couldn't remember anything and you were not on any medication and had not drunk enough to pass out or was not the sort of person to do that you would understand that something had happened that was not kosher.

You might not be able to communicate that but you would be asking for help at the least.
So I don't agree with twiggs and I don't think we are getting the full story.

baffler15
28th Mar 2008, 08:20
First, Captain Undies said:

I don't know what to say. If its true, I hope the B*&^&&%%%& get everything they deserve!

Then, Jaba says:

Disgraceful conduct from anyone let alone those charged with serving and protecting our people.

How about b!tching about the quality of sensationalist journalism presented in this article, just like a lot of regular contributors to this forum have for such aviation safety/maintenance related topics as.....ooooohh, let me think........QF12 popping some tyres during an RTO, amongst other things.

Who is she to question the character and integrity of someone by the colour of their "uniform" and the country they serve.

As a serving member, I am well aware that on occasion the behaviour of certain soldiers is nothing short of disgraceful. In this case though, please hold back on the firing squad until some of the VERY SHADY aspects of a VERY DODGY story have been proven.

Just because other Army soldiers have c0cked up before, doesn't mean that these blokes are automatically guilty.

The Baffler :ok:

Mstr Caution
28th Mar 2008, 09:44
If it was Rohypnol then a sample of hair tested would show positive results after the event for upto 1 month.

If GBH, then the water would have a distinctly salty taste. (Which is otherwise less noticeable if added to alcohol hence used in date rape type scenarios)

MC:8

Capt Wally
28th Mar 2008, 09:57
what's 'rhoey' you ask?= Really Honry Old Energetic Yobos

The real menice!

Neuroscience for Kids - Rohypnol (http://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/roof.html)Rohypnol (Flunitrazepam) is a type of benzodiazepine, a class of drugs that depresses the central nervous system. You may have heard of Valium and Xanax. ...
faculty.washington.edu/chudler/roof.html - 9k - Cached (http://209.85.173.104/search?q=cache:xGZXyFwZs34J:faculty.washington.edu/chudler/roof.html+rohypnol&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=4) - Similar pages (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rlz=1T4ADBS_enAU238AU239&q=related:faculty.washington.edu/chudler/roof.html)

CW

airbusthreetwenty
28th Mar 2008, 11:00
I'm taking the p*ssed her pants and blamed someone else angle.

Why would anyone drink spike someone on an aircraft? To pork her with 200-300 odd people around? Surely not. They were going to Thailand for God's sake. Must be a huge shortage of available sex there and to implicate three Australian soldiers - what crap.

I have no doubt that if she were still knocked out after she had woken up, the crew would have called it in as a medical situation on board.

She declined the offer of assistance to take the matter further.

She p*issed her pants.

Full stop.

Transition Layer
28th Mar 2008, 11:45
So I assume Qantas Flight Ops issued an INTAM advising us not to travel on Jetstar?

First it was all the good places like Dusk til Dawn and Insomnia that had occurences of drink spiking, now Jetstar flights!!! What is the world coming to??

pakeha-boy
28th Mar 2008, 14:34
Quote........"Former flight attendant Anamaree Correia"

consider the source,???????

....but then again,several years ago,a couple of pilots in our company got very crook on a sector,declared a emergency.....thinking it was food poisoning...

turns out their coffee was spiked with "visine" (eye drops) by one of the F/A,s who it seems had a beef with both of the boys...... most of us request our drinks un-opened these days:oh:......incoming!!!!

ferris
28th Mar 2008, 20:48
A policeperson who works in the relevent area recently told me that about 80% of "drink spiking" allegations prove to be false after testing. They don't advertise the fact, because they believe it will 1) lead to an increase in spiking and 2) lead to a decrease in reporting, as often the complainant has been raped- but whilst under the influence of nothing more than alcohol, and unable to consent.

ozangel
28th Mar 2008, 22:53
Did her flight leave on time?

If I were on a JQ 330, and it was operating to schedule, id wet myself too...

Qantas 787
28th Mar 2008, 23:40
What a non story - why Jetstar is the focus of the story is beyond me? They offered to help her, she declined and yet the story makes JQ look bad.

Teal
29th Mar 2008, 00:12
Agree with Ferris - it's been reported several times now by health authorities and police that the vast majority of drink-spiking claims cannot be verified, and that the likely scenario in most cases was that the 'victim' simply lost consciousness from the over-consumption of alcohol. Consider for example that the popular 'alco-pop' drinks are up to 9% alcohol in strength. Gen Y's are blotto after just a couple of these drinks.

Kangaroo Court
29th Mar 2008, 02:09
So Mr X is it? You're quite the drinker are you? Or perhaps you have a rather rosy image of yourself as being a big drinker as a young fellow. My guess is that you made a fool of yourself as a drunk, just like the rest of us!

Regards,

KC

panther421
29th Mar 2008, 09:56
At least she got on the plane before being drugged.

To get me on a Jetstar plane i would need to be drugged :E

Jabawocky
29th Mar 2008, 10:14
baffler15

I agree completely about standards of journalism and when tech matters are reported on we all scoff. You have a valid point in that.

However.....this is allegedly an individual briefing the press directly. As close to any facts as you are likely to get....albeit via the media so some risk there.

In a "Inflight Overdrama" there is nothing but sensationalised reports of ill informed pax or onlookers, and rarely if ever from the crew.

So there is a difference.

We should not, and I DO NOT assume all the ADF are like this at all, however if the story is somewhat correct, and there is some involvement by these folks....my comments are still valid.

J:ok:

parabellum
29th Mar 2008, 10:15
What has so far not been mentioned is how much she had to drink before she boarded the flight.

What would the Army lads have stood to gain by spiking her drink? A public gang bang between rows 15A and 15K?

Minimbah - I vote with you.

Kangaroo Court
29th Mar 2008, 14:05
I say she was the product of an oppressive parent who insisted she attend catholic school. (I now have images of a Britney Spears look-a-like dancing around....ooopps!):\

teresa green
30th Mar 2008, 11:13
In my era if anyone disgraced themselves from any orifice they were either S%$T scared, drunk, or sick. (and thats just the crew)! Sounds like to me she had been in the turps before boarding and as my child bride would put it (had a little accident) if not,it is a sick society we live in.

Pinky the pilot
30th Mar 2008, 11:28
Call me a cynic if you will, but I have a strong suspicion that there is far,far more to this sordid tale than we are being told!!:ugh:

And until proof to the contrary is produced, and I doubt very much that it will be, the Army types are deemed innocent!!

Panther421; You're no orphan!:ok:

L G Cooper
3rd Apr 2008, 05:33
What's the complaint?

She travelled Jet* and didn't have to fork out for her drugs. It's not all user pays it seems. :=

LGC :ok: