PDA

View Full Version : Maximum flight distance for EMB-145

newarksmells
26th Mar 2008, 23:02
Hi;

I fly all the time on a variety of aircraft ranging from thevery large (777,340)to the very small.This past Monday,I had to fly as a pax from Newark to Tulsa (1,214 miles). Normally we'd get a 737or a MD80 for a flight this distance.

For some perverse reason, we had to sit on the little plane that could for over 1,214 excrutiating miles. The plane was full and without exception, everybody was in a little bit of pain due to the extremely cramped conditions after a 3 hr and 20 minute flight. I understand the economics of the situation with the price of fuel etc. but I can't ever remember having a flight over 1 hour before on EMB-145 which is just about the right distance these planes should be flying in my opinion.

Doesn't a 3hr and 20 minute flight seem much too long to be in an EMB-145?

Newarksmells

speedrestriction
26th Mar 2008, 23:24
Wrong forum. Try the Spectators' Balcony forum.

Union Jack
27th Mar 2008, 00:14
But perhaps not until it has been established whether or not there could be an interesting link with the current thread on the grounding of MD80s.

Jack

Gusz
27th Mar 2008, 00:42
First post!!!
I Work for Expressjet Airlines, chances are you're talking about one of our EMB-145XR. We can cover that distance with a full load of pax and bags :). No need to panic over the size of the airplane, completely safe and reliable.:ok:

WolvoWill
27th Mar 2008, 00:50
In summer 2005 I flew Newark-Memphis with Continental (Expressjet?) on an EMB-145, and the flight was delayed for several hours due to a massive storm right on the airfield.

Unfortunately for us we spent the time in the aircraft awaiting a slot and pushback, rather than sitting at the terminal - the crew were keen to get a slot and be on their way, and didn't expect to have towait so long, and the start time kept getting pushed further and further back :ouch:

Think in the end I spend just under 8 hours on the aircraft, most of it at the gate in Newark - thankfully I had the front row seat by the 'galley' which affords slightly more legroom than most, but it was still damned uncomfortable since I can't even stand in the aisles as the ceiling is too low in this type of aircraft. Think the flight crew were almost out of hours by our arrival in Memphis - had the delay been much longer they'd have had to be relieved by another crew before departure.

WHBM
27th Mar 2008, 09:46
I guess you've never taken one of the Finnair charters in a 28" seat pitch 757 from Helsinki in Finland to Natal in Brazil or Phuket in Thailand, about 12 hours elapsed time with an intermediate fuel stop.

Actually I would expect someone on these forums to be able to read the schedule for the allocated type, where we find that CO2403, the once-daily nonstop service to Tulsa, is regularly scheduled for an ERJ. If it's a problem for you, change planes somewhere along the way. Of course the nonstop is found to be more direct and convenient. It's nice to spend a whole workng day in New York City and still get to a place as far off the mainstream track as a smaller city in Oklahoma. Tulsa is not a large city (sorry Tulsonians) and thus the seats prvided doubtless match the demand. A Continental 737 would have so many wasted seats it would either be a huge loss or the service would be quickly withdrawn, neither of which are attractive.

Another thing users of this forum normally understand is that the degree of crampedness or not is nothing particularly connected with the airframe type. It is up to the airline to put in as many as they wish to up to the designated maximum. If you want to comment on Continental's selected seat pitch, fair enough, but it's nothing to stick on Embraer, or RJs in general.

newarksmells
30th Mar 2008, 00:05
I fully understand the need to maximise the load and the airline's responsibility to its shareholders .However, I believe the airlines also need to have a smidgen of concern for the passengers comfort as well as it is these passengers who create the profits for the shareholders.

I'll speak with my feet which is a reasonably clever trick. Rather than feel like a sardine the next time I fly, I'll fly into Dallas and then up to Tulsa on a EMB-145 which is perfect for a 35 minute flight. But never ever again, will I fly over 3 hours on an airplane this small.I can honestly say that sardines have more space to move around than the passengers did on that plane. My goodness, we couldn't even stand up without bumping our heads on the ceiling...That's how small the plane really is.

Lesson learend.

Newarksmells

GwynM
31st Mar 2008, 10:01
speedrestriction Wrong forum. Try the Spectators' Balcony forum.

definitely the right forum - it's what us SLF want to discuss, nothing to do with plane spotters

chornedsnorkack
31st Mar 2008, 10:50
Another thing users of this forum normally understand is that the degree of crampedness or not is nothing particularly connected with the airframe type. It is up to the airline to put in as many as they wish to up to the designated maximum. If you want to comment on Continental's selected seat pitch, fair enough, but it's nothing to stick on Embraer, or RJs in general.

Pitch isnīt - an airline is free to rip out seat rows and increase pitch as they please, by small increments.

But width and height matter more.

With 16 rows or so on ERJ-145, ripping out 1 row would lose 3 seats and add 2 inches pitch to each remaining row - 32 inches to 34 inches

As for width, with 3 seats abreast the only option would be to go 2 abreast, and this would sacrifice a third of the seats. Like on Embraer Legacy Shuttle. And on a luxury Legacy executive, passengers still cannot stand up, because even if the aisle is more in the middle, floor to ceiling is still 182 cm.

CRJ-200 is wider than ERJ-145.

Tango and Cash
1st Apr 2008, 22:13
After being crammed into an RJ DFW-Milwaukee, my rule is no RJ flight longer than one hour. Nothing against the RJ and their manufacturers, but the airline "let's see if we can squeeze in another row" and application of RJs to longer routes does not make for a pleasant (or even bearable) travel experience. I'll gladly take a connecting flight to avoid the "little jet experience".

Now if we could just get those MD80s replaced with shiny new 737s or 320s!