PDA

View Full Version : Emirates to Dublin?

akerosid
6th Aug 2000, 17:32
I was just reading a reply to a thread on the Irish aviation website about EK possibly starting a DUB service; apparently, the new Birmingham service was a close run thing, with DUB next on the list. Anyone know more. Not seeking confidential info necessarily (although I know this probably counts as such!), it's just that I've been lobbying quite hard in Ireland for direct routes to ME/Asia.

It's also reported that EK is looking at possibility of DXB-DUB-NYC/ORD, which the Irish government would almost certainly block, with a view towards pushing EK towards Shannon (they're still holding onto this hang-up over the Shannon stopover policy).

Anyone got any further info, views, opinions?

Yossarian
11th Aug 2000, 01:35
Passing through DXB, heard no rumours on DUB. With EK looking at the 340-500, looks like they will be bypassing Shannon and going direct. That is what seemed to be the consensus of opinion there. They seem to be looking on the 340 for the direct routing.

mutt
11th Aug 2000, 10:47
With EK's reputation, they should be operating with good load factors out of DXB for NYC. Therefore the only thing that a stopover in Ireland would do is increase the operating costs of the flight and totally inconvenience the passengers.

There is nothing worse than getting woken up after seven hours to sit in an airport for one hour and then fly for another 7 hours.....

The A340-500 will make the trip non-stop.

Mutt

akerosid
11th Aug 2000, 19:27
Indeed yes, but the A340-500 won't be joining Emirates until the end of 2002 and it might well make sense to get a foothold on the route until then.

Really, what I was getting at was the possibility of an Irish route, irrespective of whether it continues to New York, ORD or wherever. I understand that Birmingham JUST pipped Dublin as a choice of destination and wonder if it might be next on the hit list.

mutt
11th Aug 2000, 20:50
Do you really think that there is a market there that cant be served through LHR/CDG/AMS/FRA??

Nobody is going to operate from Ireland to Asia directly, so it doesnt matter where you stop.

Mutt

Jet A1
18th May 2001, 18:28
EI have rights to fly to Asia but have not exercised them...Rumour around the block is that a HKG or Bangkok route by EI is not far away possibily 2002.

wonderbusdriver
18th May 2001, 20:15
"Do you really think that there is a market there that cant be served through LHR/CDG/AMS/FRA??"

I imagine the stopover being in DXB instead of the above mentioned - BUT between the US and SEA.
340-500 would perfectly fit.

A "slot" in DXB is probably easier to get and cheaper for EK, than one for the others in Europe.

Just my thoughts.