PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Phone use on aircraft tentatively approved by UK regulator

G-SCUD
26th Mar 2008, 13:09
The use of mobiles on aircraft flying in European airspace has been given approval by UK regulator Ofcom: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7314362.stm

Thank goodness for that!

airship
26th Mar 2008, 13:15
Oh goodie, now all we need are new mobile phones with built-in altimeters, GPS and "some soon to be developed system which tells them they're aboard an aeroplane" so that they'll only switch on if all these conditions are satisfied...?! :confused:

PyroTek
26th Mar 2008, 13:23
mines already got a GPS!
and wifi, infra red, etc.
all i need is a 'good' aviation GPS program for symbian phones...

Anyway, Ill be waiting for this to hit downunder :P

UniFoxOs
26th Mar 2008, 13:26
Thank goodness for that!

What, you WANT to listen to tossers talking [email protected] for several hours non-stop??

UFO

west lakes
26th Mar 2008, 13:53
Erm well Ofcom have given approval for the type of technology to be used and the part of the radio spectrum to be used.

As yet it is up to the likes of the CAA etc. to give approval for this kit to actually be fitted to an aircraft.

The system is not to use the existing ground based "cell" sites but to equip individual aircraft with "pico cells" then transmit the traffic to the mobiles networks by satelite links.

I would suggest anyone, at the moment, trying to use a phone on a aircraft might just be told to cease.

UniFoxOs
26th Mar 2008, 15:26
Whenever I fly, there's irritating non-stop chatter all around. No phone required.

True, enough, and so there is in every pub, restaurant, bus, train, shop and street. And I find it nothing like as irritating as the self-important to55ers who have to disturb my drink, meal, walk, journey, shopping expedition etc. with their inane mobile phone rattle. At least we are currently free of it on aircraft (well most of the time, I have seen [email protected] phoning while still taxying in to the stand).

UFO
(Grumpy old Git)

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
26th Mar 2008, 15:29
Whenever I fly, there's irritating non-stop chatter all around. No phone required. at least that's chatter and not half-chatter :*

frostbite
26th Mar 2008, 15:33
A 'captain of industry' was heard talking loudly into his mobile phone in the supermarket.

Hiring and firing, doing property deals etc., then his phone rang while he was in mid conversation.....

Ozzy
26th Mar 2008, 16:58
Hi, I'm on the plane. What? I said I'm on the plane. The plane. I'm on the...the plane. I SAID I'M ON THE PLANE!!!!!

Ozzy

Beatriz Fontana
26th Mar 2008, 17:01
That's great news. Just think about how bearable the shuttle fights to Scotland are going to be. "I'm on the plane" being yelled Dom Joly style.

Yeesh, no thanks.

bar fly
26th Mar 2008, 17:20
There was a debate on here a while back about phones on trains. I argued that you are able to talk just as quiet or loud with a phone as without, and that the logic of being able to talk on a quiet zone of a train and not use the phone was flawed. A few people got irate and I don't have the time or inclination to go there again, but I think using your phone in public is fine. The same for aircraft.

After all, two people sat next to each other often spout a load of fake businesspeak bull to 'impress' those around them. People can be dicks with or without phones.

Howard Hughes
26th Mar 2008, 17:30
I think the Prince of Darknes has Farken summed it up, when people talk on mobiles for some reason they always talk at five times the normal decibel level...:rolleyes:

"And she said like":{

Dream Land
26th Mar 2008, 17:46
More information here (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/10/18/mobiles_on_aircraft/). The phone police can't be far behind. :p

Salusa
26th Mar 2008, 17:50
My plan (keep it quiet).

Anyone who gabbers on a mobile whilst sitting next to me on a flight can be assured that I will suffer from raging air sickness and then proceed to chuck up on them making sure that the latest Nokia/Samsung/Sony particularly gets it.

Oh and afterwards I will do a pooh on their lap whilst strangling them with their own fancy noise cancelling iPod headsets.

Then I will go to sleep and dribble on their shoulders.

Cheers,
Sal

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
26th Mar 2008, 17:53
A few people got irate and I don't have the time or inclination to go there againI do though. You were wrong and made yourself look like a to$$er :*

:}

hellsbrink
26th Mar 2008, 17:58
Phones allowed on aircraft....

Bugger, and I can't carry a decent toolkit in the cabin so I can smash a 4lb hammer on a cellphone when I hear someone saying "I can see your house from here" or have to suffer some rugrats playing with the ringtones (like I have done on a train in the UK)

Is no place safe from these things? After all, those with manners know there is a time and a place for everything....

(Oh, Bea. Why should us Jockinese be singled out? I saw far worse from the Londoners)

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
26th Mar 2008, 18:06
Garrison Keilor had a funny sketch once where he said that 90% of all cell phone calls consist of "I am here. I am on my way there and I shall arrive in five minutes.".

bar fly
26th Mar 2008, 18:13
I do though. You were wrong and made yourself look like a to$$er

Ha ha, yeah I suspected you would comment. Still not grasped the idea that a different opinion doesn't mean 'wrong'?

Why not stick to your usual witty one-liners then if you still have a problem with a difference of opinion? Save the genuine debates and opinion exchanges for tossers like me.

Capt.KAOS
26th Mar 2008, 21:59
Thank goodness for that!Hope not, try getting some sleep when someone next to you is yapping:

"And then she said..."
"I know and then he said..."
"I know and then she said..:"
"I know and then he said..."

:ugh: :rolleyes: :mad: :yuk:

Capot
26th Mar 2008, 22:20
It's time for the one-sided conversation tactic......

"Darling, I'm only calling because other people are talking rubbish into their phones and I thought if those d***heads are doing it so will I.......yes, I'm ON THE PLANE"

"Say that again...what happened just after we boarded?"

"They closed the airport? Why, for God's sake?"

"Bomb alert? Did you say BOMB ALERT?"

"Darling, don't be silly....there's more than one flight going to Rome.....what does the tellie say the note said?"

"But that's the one we're on......JESUS!"

"Darling I love you too...............why do you need the combination?......don't be ridiculous, of course you'll see me again......"

and so on to suit the reaction. I find that similar conversations on trains often have the desired effect, especially the one that starts "I'm sitting next to a delusional lunatic, and....".