PDA

View Full Version : Rio de Janeiro - Flying Schools

L'aviateur
26th Mar 2008, 11:05
Please could anyone put me in touch with a flying school in Rio de Janeiro; currently working towards my PPL (hindered by weather, awaiting QXC & Skills Test) in the UK, but will be spending a day in Rio next Thursday (3rd April), and would like to fly with an instructor for a few hours, even though I imagine I can't log the hours towards a JAA PPL.

S. Dumont
31st Mar 2008, 23:40
Doing a panoramic flight in Rio is very nice and offers tremendous views (why settle for just looking at the statue of Christ from below when you can fly around it at close distance).

The largest (perhaps only) flight school in Rio is Aeroclube do Brasil, which is located in Jacarepagua airport (Barra neighborhood - aprox 20min from Ipanema). The administrative staff does not speak english, but most of the flight instructors will speak some or fluent english and are well used to doing panoramic flights with tourists. Generally a 30/40min flight will allow you to see enough (going around the statue of Christ, Sugarloaf, Maracana stadium & the beaches). It will depend on the arrival procedure in effect for Santos Dumont airport as panoramic flights are controlled by their ATC. You will be most likely be flying a Piper Archer.

Their website is www.aeroclubedobrasil.com.br, although I think it's all in Portuguese.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy Rio. Wouldn't recommend Copacabana as much as Ipanema. It all can be safe as long as you don't carry much with you.

PM me if you have any questions.