View Full Version : Massive explosion Dubai (AL QUOZ)

harry the cod
26th Mar 2008, 05:18
Not exactly flying related and not exactly the fastest way to pass the warning but please let as many people know ASAP.

Due to a massive explosion in Al Quoz, schools are being closed and people are being sent home and asked to close all windows and turn off A/C. There's a huge orange/ brown plume stretching North for at least 20K +

I pray that this is nothing serious

Harry

harry the cod
26th Mar 2008, 05:22
Latest is that actual explosion was in firecracker factory which is next to a chemical plant so best follow advice of windows and A/C until things are stable.

Sheikh Your Bootie
26th Mar 2008, 05:33
****, you ain't kidding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Smoke everywhere.

Great aleart service on Pprune :ok:

SyB :zzz:

BYMONEK
26th Mar 2008, 06:13
Yep, some schools closed and have just had to pick mine up. Does look bad and text sent to 'many' !

Thanks for heads up.................as we keep ours down!

mensaboy
26th Mar 2008, 06:25
Just happened to drive past it on the way to Jebel Ali, on Shk Zayed road, and even though well below the gigantic smoke plume, I got the feeling it was rather toxic. I base this simply on the fact I started wheezing shortly thereafter. Perhaps nothing at all, just being paranoid, but you never know in Dubai.

Damn it all, I never get this motivated to get up early on days off. Usually sleep thru all the fog, massive car accidents, burnings and explosion events, haha.

Austin Holed
26th Mar 2008, 06:38
Fireworks factory next to a chemical plant....It just keeps getting better & better.

5star
26th Mar 2008, 07:08
Ofcourse located in the main work camp district. You should see it. Another +10K poor laborers to return home with some kind of disease. Welcome to the third world.

145qrh
26th Mar 2008, 08:31
:}I think we will find out later that it was in fact a baby milk factory...:}, and no harmful chemicals, toxins or other generally nasty stuff was released into the air..( sorry dont have a Pinochio smiley)

EGGW
26th Mar 2008, 08:42
http://www.homesteadgarden.com/forums/images/smilies/pinocchio.gif

Glad to help :}

SamAustralia
26th Mar 2008, 09:11
It looks bad on the net....

MrMachfivepointfive
26th Mar 2008, 09:17
Video link:
http://edition.cnn.com/video/#/video/world/2008/03/26/vo.dubai.warehouse.explosion.alarabiya (http://edition.cnn.com/video/#/video/world/2008/03/26/vo.dubai.warehouse.explosion.alarabiya)

Looks like about a kiloton of babyfood going off.

White Knight
26th Mar 2008, 09:54
Just got home from a flight and had sat down on the 'thunderdome' when I heard a double explosion - took me a while to realise through my flight-befuddled mind that it wasn't me but something else taking the strain:ok::ok:

gnd spoiler
26th Mar 2008, 10:48
HEY GUYS

IM GONNA MAKE THIS REAL EASY FOR ALL OF YOU ....

IF YOU DONT FEEL SAFE IN A 3RD WORLD COUNTRY JUST SIMPLY PACK UP AND GO HOME!!!! ;)

sispanys ria
26th Mar 2008, 11:09
Ofcourse located in the main work camp district. You should see it. Another +10K poor laborers to return home with some kind of disease. Welcome to the third world.

This has nothing to do with the third world. Remember what happened in Toulouse in 2001, that was a dozen of times bigger one in a chemical store, facing the ariane rockets engines' powder factory. If that one had blasted, it's half of the city that would be gone.

Sheikh-It-Easy
26th Mar 2008, 14:13
In the news a few days ago was an article about the UAE using Nuclear Energy for power.

I worry that they might hire Homer Simpson to help out with the setup. He has a lot of experience withe this type of work. ;)

The term "Industrial Accident" will take on a whole new meaning for us here in the UAE.

5star
26th Mar 2008, 17:08
GND spoiler,

There is no need to shout on this forum. :=
You're quite new on pprune aren't you...:rolleyes:
Try again.

schismatic
26th Mar 2008, 17:51
Coincidental that this happens 2 days after rioting and fighting between labour in Al Quoz that in itself resulted in many injuries....

Nuuk
26th Mar 2008, 18:00
Right, fireworks wear house, right :ooh:. Someone think that we are that stupid :ugh:! If that massive black cloud was made of fire crackers smoke, then why all the schools downwind from it where evacuated? That chemical monster of cloud was probably more toxic that what the authorities want's us to know. Rumor around it was a battery wear house or something else in the highly toxic category.

sispanys ria
26th Mar 2008, 18:07
Right, fireworks wear house, right :ooh:. Someone think that we are that stupid :ugh:

I guess that saying the contrary (as you do) when not knowing anything, is as much stupid...
The persistent smoke is resulting from the fire that followed the explosion., Nobody said it was firecrackers' smoke. By the way, do you have any idea of what is used to prepare fireworks ?

5 months ago it was a truck full of illegally imported fireworks that blasted 2 cops in Sharjah.

Nuuk
26th Mar 2008, 18:39
[quote][Nobody said it was firecrackers' smoke]

Gulf news and all news papers must state something else, probably was nothing also in the 70 other wearhouses that burned down. Also can you explain why the air quality reports from the official sites stayed green all day like nothing was wrong? Light up buddy.

Gulfstreamaviator
26th Mar 2008, 19:01
was trying to get from RAK to AD, and saw the smoke from RAK.
decided to avoid SZR, and used 11, and beach road.

on drive back up SZR, the black smoke was almost on the ground, and headlights on...still MMO, but then why not.

The local news did not even cover it for the first few hours, rather mentioned the regular crash in the WTC tunnel.

glf

5star
27th Mar 2008, 09:37
In the same area :
On the "freedom of speech" list the UAE ranks at the bottom of the list (think 139 out of 180 or something).....So don't believe what the G-N guys write.

I really think it was a baby powder plant....:8

notrocketscience
27th Mar 2008, 13:19
5star, could you please clarify: did the factory make powder to which you add water to produce babies, OR did it produce the powder you sprinkle on babies' bottoms, OR did it produce powder to which you add water to make something for baby to drink.

I think we deserve to know how far advanced the technology is in Dubai: instant babies sounds interesting . . . . .

Kamelchaser
28th Mar 2008, 05:53
The newspapers don't mention that the fire is still smouldering two days later. Got up this morning to toxic smelling fumes over my neighbourhood close by the scene. Felt quite sick almost straight away.

The public will never know the truth about the toxins in the air from this event.

uplock
28th Mar 2008, 06:32
The Guys around Bikini Atoll in the Marshall Islands would proberly say that was some Fire Cracker...
http://b.imagehost.org/t/0342/bikini.jpg (http://b.imagehost.org/view/0342/bikini.jpg)
http://b.imagehost.org/t/0342/news_page_1.jpg (http://b.imagehost.org/view/0342/news_page_1.jpg)