PDA

View Full Version : New First Class in Ryanair

HighLow
26th Mar 2008, 04:59
heard the latest from Ryanair???

within four weeks, they intend to charge an extra 15 euro if you wish to sit on any of the emergency exit rows (more leg room).

You heard it here first......

Any people in Ryanair Management wish to comment, and I thought you guys couldnt get any more greedy!!!

high Low

harry the cod
26th Mar 2008, 05:27
So what happens if you don't want to sit there and flight is full. Do they still charge you?

Ricky1
26th Mar 2008, 05:45
So what happens if you don't want to sit there and flight is full. Do they still charge you?

You get the toilet seat.... which I'm sure when they start charging for that, it will only be E1 plus tax

klm-md11
26th Mar 2008, 06:12
surprised they didn't do it earlier...

KLM does it on long haul flights too!

Flew NRN-VLC on RYR not long ago and had the pleasure to sit in an emergency-exit row. Plenty of room and worth the 15 euros when on a very early flight and want to sleep.

Panman
26th Mar 2008, 06:24
Virgin also do it and depending on the route it can be £50 extra (1 way) for an exit row seat.

Bronx
26th Mar 2008, 06:29
15 euro if you wish to sit on any of the emergency exit rows (more leg room). Is that on top of the 10 euro you pay for the flight?

:rolleyes:

A2QFI
26th Mar 2008, 07:17
Ryanair don't do seat allocation (?) so how will they be able to ensure you get your extra leg room seat you have paid for? How will it work if you do on line check in?

rasobey
26th Mar 2008, 08:17
I'm doing STN-NYO in a few weeks (paxing, of course) and definately do not want a "normal" seat. I shall be mighty upset if I can't get an overwing or row 1.

malagajohn
26th Mar 2008, 08:37
How much per sheet of toilet paper?

I hear the charge will be introduced by next tuesday

take-off
26th Mar 2008, 20:37
whats left to charge for ,??? toilets, seats, seat belts,steps to plane, oxygen?????? oh yeah toilet paper forgot that:ugh::ugh::ugh:

AdamC
27th Mar 2008, 07:45
:ugh: Typical Ryanair.. I wouldn't be supprised if coin slots are installed to release the seatbelt. Then the tray table, ohhh the list is endless.

It's a good job I'm not actually old enough to sit in emergency exit rows, yet, why does one have to be 18 to occupy such a seat on Ryanair? - Yet I'm old enough to fly on my own, in a light aircraft and as such operate the door?

al446
27th Mar 2008, 11:15
Jet2 charge for this as well. But I still think FR sucks.

Agaricus bisporus
27th Mar 2008, 12:06
So how do they make sure everyone who pays this is an ABP??? Or don't they bother with niceties like that?

richatom
27th Mar 2008, 12:14
they intend to charge an extra 15 euro if you wish to sit on any of the emergency exit rows (more leg room).

I wish all airlines would do that! I'm tall and I would willingly pay a bit extra to be able to fit in the seats.

Flying long-haul in economy is pretty desperate for me and I would willingly pay extra for a bit of extra leg room.

joniveson
27th Mar 2008, 13:50
The charter airlines and some scheduled carriers have been doing it for years. You want more comfort you pay for it. 15 euros is far less than I've seen other airlines charge for the 'privilege'.

beermaddavep
28th Mar 2008, 01:06
take off-

Surprised none of the loco's have started charging for priority exiting.

"For only 15 euros more, you can be among the first to leave the plane. This will ensure a prime standing position around the baggage carousel or if you travel with hand baggage only will help you get to the front of the huge queue of taxis, thus saving milliseconds of your valuable time" :rolleyes:

Phileas Fogg
28th Mar 2008, 03:07
But Ryanair, flew them once, never again, doesn't do seat allocation and insist upon strict 25 minute turnrounds or heads will roll.

So what happens if, having paid my EUR15, and having vacated the regional airfield bar at the last minute, I am the last to board and a family of 3 have occupied my exit row/seat and the flight is full?

Oh dear, we have to start playing musical 'non reclining' chairs and all this in a 25 minute turnround to be subsequently served with stale sandwiches and warm beer.

And all for a few Euro's per rotation, I wonder why I stick with 'recognised' carriers :)

TotalBeginner
29th Mar 2008, 08:38
For those who are interested here is the seatplan

http://www.eurocypria.com/main/data/articles/737.gif

Is the extra legroom in rows 15-16 really worth 15 EUR?

foxy_baby
29th Mar 2008, 11:06
ADAM C, The Irish Airline Authority state you have to be 18 to sit in an emergancy exit seat.

I dont see what the fuss is about this, Bmibaby all ready do it as others mentioned on here, it makes good sense to me always thought Ryanair were missing a trick here, Im guessing that it will come with priorty boarding even better would be allocated seating but i doubt that

TotalBeginner
29th Mar 2008, 13:26
even better would be allocated seating but i doubt that

I agree, but now they're selling all those priority boarding tickets, I don't think they'll be giving that little money spinner up!

Sir Lee B´stard
29th Mar 2008, 13:31
Clickair have also joined in this caper, but they have gone several stages further and created three seating classes, aisle seats are the new business class, emergency exits appear to be business plus while the front rows nearest the exit are obviously first class with three stars! Oh and bags are now €5 a pop! You can however choose your seat on line.

smith
30th Mar 2008, 11:14
They will probably call the pre-booked seating pax forward first, or put the tray tables down at the emerg exits.

Don't know if this will make much difference as the sequenced and online checkin boarding is totally ignored by the ground crew.

derekvader
30th Mar 2008, 12:15
Surprised it's taken Ryanair so long to be honest.

I should think they just need to make an announcement before boarding or put a card on the affected seats that say "€15 extra for each of these exit seats". The people that paid it will have some extra note on their e-ticket or maybe they get given a nice coloured piece of card at the desk or something. If you sit in the marked "€15 extra" seats having not paid the supplement so don't have the note on your e-ticket or whatever, and then someone boards late that did pay it, then you get turfed out of the seat and left to choose a seat from whatever odd seats are left throughout the plane. It's only around 12 seats that are affected, so anyone that didn't pay the charge and then is foolish enough to not immediately comply when asked to vacate the seat for a passenger that did, should be easy enough to handle.

flyboy8004
30th Mar 2008, 12:38
the crew will most likely put the tray tables down on the emegency exit seats so pax cannot sit in them..and the dispatcher should have a manifest for the crew who has paid for them and who hasnt at check in to resolve any disputes onboard!...problem solved! myself i would prefer the over wing exits as row 1 is practcally in the galley and 1A isnt xleg due to the slide...crew also dont like pax sitting in row1 as you are practically sitting in each others lap during take off and landing! :ok:

nickmo
30th Mar 2008, 23:04
....why not just re-name it as 'Farce Class' and be done with it.....

ryansf
31st Mar 2008, 16:03
They'll probably give you a little ticket like what they currently do with the priority boarding, and the crew will only let people sit in the exit row if they have bought one of these tickets. Not exactly rocket science....:rolleyes:

Skintman
1st Apr 2008, 12:09
A bit unfair to knock RYR on this topic, when many other airlines have been doing it for years. Why haven't ppruners been slagging off the other airlines who've been doing this?:=

I have no problems flying RYR. They may not treat their staff very well, but their flights are cheap and in my experience on time. It's a no frills airline and that's what you get. :D

I sat in an RYR emergency exit row last week for no extra charge. Plenty of space too!!! Hey I'm easy to please.:ok:

Skintman

llondel
1st Apr 2008, 14:09
whats left to charge for ,??? toilets, seats, seat belts,steps to plane, oxygen?????? oh yeah toilet paper forgot that

I was going to suggest that you could just not bother with the toilet paper and use the in-flight magazine, but then I remembered that Ryanair don't have in-flight magazines (and they'd probably charge for them if they did).

I find the emergency 'card' stuck to the back of the seat in front a bit hard to read because it's a bit close, I guess I need new glasses. Or a bigger seat pitch.

kingston_toon
2nd Apr 2008, 13:22
Ryanair do have an in-flight magazine, and it's quite good (in my opinion).

As to paying for the exit row seats... this would be a disaster for me! I'm tall and use Ryanair a couple of times a month, and can't remember the last time I didn't manage to get one of the overwing seats just by being in the priority boarding queue. Yes, I'm one of those people who leg it to the plane to bag those seats first, but recently I've started to think this isn't necessary as most other people doing the same seem to be heading for the front few rows (to get off first). 15 Euros is a bit steep though... I don't think I'd pay it...

llondel
3rd Apr 2008, 18:15
I don't remember there being an in-flight magazine last time I had the pleasure... There was no pocket on the back of the seat and the safety card information was just a sticker on the back of the top part of the seat.

nickmo
3rd Apr 2008, 19:15
Enjoy.............

http://www.ryanairmag.com/

kingston_toon
4th Apr 2008, 12:45
The crew usually come round offering them just before/after take-off (or not at all, as sometimes happens!).

Platinum206
4th Apr 2008, 12:57
Ryansf, thank you!

I was wondering what ll the fuss was about and that nobody had mentioned what you did the whole way through the thread.

Generally there has been at least one CC member standing at the emergency exit rows anyway, I remember this as I usually have to ask them to move so I can sit in row 15/16.

As you mentioned, its certainly not rocket science to have a quick look at the boarding card and see if it has "priority seating" or some such along the lines of the boarding cards already saying "priority boarding".

And again has been mentioned previously, there are so many, mostly charter airlines that have been charging for exit row seats for many years.

In my opinion this is one of the most obvious, and comparitively reasonable introductions of Ryanair in a good while.

Interestingly, does anyone know current percentages of Ryanair turnover in relation to fare sales and ancillary sales? Would I be right in saying its "farely" close (sorry I couldn't resist!)

rasobey
9th Apr 2008, 10:30
Hello everyone

I'm doing a sector with FR tomorrow, has the charging for exit seats been put in place yet?

Cheers :)

Skintman
9th Apr 2008, 12:00
They definately have an in-flight mag. It is not in the seat pocket, cos most times there isn't one. It is handed out after take off by CC, so you can browse through those delighful duty free products and decide which drinks and grub you are going to buy. Yum yum.:ok:

It does have some general reading, but it is mostly stuff to buy.

Skintman

KentishRoman
10th Apr 2008, 14:40
I flew back from DUB to LGW yesterday and got one of these exit seats.

Was nice to have the leg room, but then you are delayed getting off by all those with folks unloading their luggage from the lockers (lots and lots of f:mad:ing luggage) Personally, I wouldn't pay extra for that.

They don't have tray tables on their exit row seats (or at least the a/c we were on yesterday didn't) so not sure how they will keep the punters who haven't paid out of them.

chris647
10th Apr 2008, 18:45
quick note kentish roman, we do have tray tables on ALL seats ,
on the emergancy exits they are in the armrest.:D

Paracab
10th Apr 2008, 22:47
15 euros? Fair enough, a lot of other carriers charge more. I paid less than that for my last FR flight. Some people want it all.

KentishRoman
11th Apr 2008, 08:35
So that's why the armrests wouldn't move!:)

The Real Slim Shady
12th Apr 2008, 13:26
llondel says:

I find the emergency 'card' stuck to the back of the seat in front a bit hard to read because it's a bit close, I guess I need new glasses. Or a bigger seat pitch.

Bigger seat pitch? Fly BA. The seats in T5 are a long way apart.:yuk::yuk::yuk:

Abusing_the_sky
12th Apr 2008, 15:42
Just to remind you that there are NO emergency exits on row 15. The emergency exits are on rows 16/17.
As for more leg room, there is more leg room in rows 1ABC, 2DEF and 16/17. Get a priority boarding ticket and you'll get first in the a/c and then you can sit wherever you please.... As for blocking the rows.. There are only 2 simple rules wich pax like some on this thread believe crew are blocking rows just for fun (sense the sarcasm) : if there is a less number of pax than the capacity of the a/c the crew will block off rows 1 to 6 and 29 to 33, or only row 3 and 4 FOR THE WEIGHT AND BALANCE OF THE A/C FOR TAKE OFF AND LANDING!!!!!!
So before you b!tch and moan ask yourself "maybe there could be a reason for this?"

Respect,
ATS

derekvader
13th Apr 2008, 10:20
Why don't other airlines, particularly those that have a higher service class up front, ever seem to block out the front/back rows then?

The Real Slim Shady
13th Apr 2008, 16:00
Ryanair use a load and balance system based on the number pax carried. Under certain conditions rows 3 and 4 are blocked; with other loads the first 6 etc are blocked.

Other carriers will use allocated seating and the computer will distribute the load to maintain the balance within acceptable limits. The only difference is you will never see that bit.

Final 3 Greens
13th Apr 2008, 17:14
Why don't other airlines, particularly those that have a higher service class up front

Derek

If you take a BA flight on a lightly loaded 767 around Europe, you will often find that the economy pax are allocated seats at the very rear of the aircraft, leaving only the Club pax up front and lots of free seats in between.

Obviously the premium pax expect to receive the service they paid for, which includes seats with extra legroom, so the computer seats them in the club designated rows and then moves the Y pax rearward to achieve an acceptable balance.

As the real Slim Shady says, it is often not so noticeable on other aircraft, although I do remember travelling on a Czech Airlines 737-500 where I was the only pax in business and all the pther pax were shoehorned into seats rear of the over wing exits. It looked very strange.

rasobey
13th Apr 2008, 19:28
Back from my trip to Sweden. To confirm, FR are not charging for exit seats, and tbh, I couldn't see any outward signs that they are going to be. I meant to ask a member of CC but didn't really deem it particularly important.

What I did find interesting was that the plane I had on the outbound sector had seat pockets in front, yet the return sector plane didn't. The seats were made of different material also. Is one plane newer than the other, or in a state of refurbishment?

jiffajaffa
13th Apr 2008, 19:34
the aircraft with the seat pockets are the older model 800's the newer models have the pockets removed

WHBM
13th Apr 2008, 20:44
Why don't other airlines, particularly those that have a higher service class up front, ever seem to block out the front/back rows then?
They do.

Travelled in one of the last weeks on the BMI Inverness to Heathrow route, scheduled for an A319, economy only as much of BMI is nowadays. We got allocated seats scattered around the cabin as flight was "full up", which didn't seem to gel with only about 45 pax in the departure lounge.

One of the ex-BMed A320s had been substituted. Larger aircraft but has a big First Class section, which nobody was allowed in, goodness knows why not. To maintain Weight & Balance the rear about 8 rows of economy had nobody seated there either. Everyone squashed in 6-across abeam the centre of gravity.

For this we had paid getting on for 6 or 8 times what Ryanair typically charge for a sector of comparable length.

airbourne
13th Apr 2008, 20:58
So let me get this straight. Ive got one leg, a patch over one eye, i cant read and am obese. If i book my flight and check in online and pay my €15 for the emergency exit seat, will I still be allowed to take it? After all, screw safety I did pay for the seat!

I have complained a few times in the past about the kind of people airlines let sit in the emergency exit rows. If (and it does happen) crash land, do you have the confidence in the 80 year old woman open the exit!?

jiffajaffa
13th Apr 2008, 21:44
Emergency exit seats are occupied by an ABP (able bodied person) someone who is capable of opening them in case of emergency and this is a safety regulation, I presume airlines would clearly state the terms and conditions of occupying these seats before you purchase them.

WHBM
13th Apr 2008, 22:09
Regardless of how an airline markets the emergency exit seats with supplementary charges or not, I am pretty certain that the conditions of who actually sits in them (able-bodied etc) and how the FAs enforce this (including pax moving to them after doors closed) will be incorporated in their SOPs, which in turn will be incorporated and signed off in their AOC, so it is something the Irish regulatory authority will be responsible for overseeing.

skydriller
14th Apr 2008, 10:00
I've mentioned it before...

As a frequent flyer I have noticed an increasing trend in the last 2-3 years or so of unsuitable passengers (elderly/huge/children) being seated at Emergency Exit seats with no action taken by cabin crew to intervene - and I belive this is solely due to the selling of these seats at a premium by certain airlines, even some legacy carriers do it now. I think that the "business" of selling off these seats at a premium is a safety issue and should be stopped by the aviation regulators worldwide. Any airline that does this is not interested in your safety onboard the flight, money is more important to them...

Regards SD.

VAFFPAX
14th Apr 2008, 11:21
skydriller, funny you should mention that. Before the whole "pay for emergency exit seating" trend started, and you asked for an emergency exit seat at check-in, the check-in staff would size you up first and check whether you were suitable.

On certain flights I've had the situation where CA's would do a call for any other passengers who would like to switch seats for an emergency exit row (usually AF flights) because a pax in an emergency exit seat was not suitable for the required actions (or was not willing to perform the actions). Then it'd be a mad scramble for a while until everyone was settled again.

That kind of discretion by check-in staff has to return for emergency exit seating... I'm capable, and I'm happy to pay for the privilege.

S.

keltic
14th Apr 2008, 14:01
No, it´s nothing new, no Ryanair invention. Vueling and Clickair in Spain do it for a long time. Pay if you want the row 1, and wing rows. And Clickair, even aisle rows in front cost more.

A and C
14th Apr 2008, 14:16
Why are you all so anti Ryanair! they offer a dirt cheap service that is aimed at the very bottom end of the market........ in short you only get what you pay for.

Ryanair is a cr*p way to fly, but you pay next to nothing for a ticket, as long as the aircraft are maintained and flown within the regulations you have no grounds for slagging them off.

I will not fly with the for the very reasons outlined above and becuase in my view other airlines offer better value for money (not cheaper) flights.

Remember Low cost should be called Low service!

rasobey
14th Apr 2008, 15:19
I have no issue with FR at all. I would happily use them, and indeed probably happier at using them than I would be taking a BA flight. Cost is all that matters to me, and until I see evidence that my ultimate safety is jeapardised by cost cutting measures, FR, ezy and the other lowcos will always get my business.

jayteeto
16th Apr 2008, 13:41
Flew LPL to DUB and back this week with Ryanair. First things first...... It cost me £18 return, all in!! I would stand all the way for that price.
Pros: On time, no frills, friendly staff, exit seat on return flight at no extra cost, on line check in meant priority boarding. No checked bag reduced fare, CHEAP!!
Cons: Security scanner could not read my boarding card printout at LPL and I had to run back to check-in for duplicate only JUST making the flight. A granny would not have made it. Short flight so didn't have time for a 6.30am beer.
What is the problem here? If you don't like the service, exercise your consumer rights and use another airline. I don't like MOL's way of doing things either, but my car park cost more than the flight for goodness sake...

ryansf
17th Apr 2008, 16:56
I've flown with them over 10 times over the past few months, most recently to Madrid. They don't seem to 'do' the typical low cost thing there - first time I've ever seen/used a jetbridge attached to a Ryanair aircraft! Most of the time, the bus fare to the airport was more expensive than the flight (which I pointed out to the driver!).

Seat62K
16th May 2008, 11:35
I can't understand the anti-Ryanair comments in this thread. I have flown over 60 sectors with them over the last three years and have very little to be critical of. And on the "Ryanair-vs-easyJet" issue, the only way in which easyJet, on which I've flown at least 20 sectors over the same period, offers a better service, in my opinion, is that boarding passes can be printed well in advance (with Ryanair, any trip of more than five days' duration will necessitate OLCI at your destination - not always easy - assuming that you want to avoid checking in at the airport, which I do!).

VAFFPAX
17th May 2008, 14:41
Seat62K, if you routinely have to schlep about the amount of equipment I do, you will soon tire of RyanAir's shenanigans.

Suddenly flights that are a penny cheap become rather expensive. and no, my equipment cannot be made lighter. It is already as light as possible.

S.