PDA

View Full Version : Global Supply Systems: Interview

kirkuk
25th Mar 2008, 19:32
It is rare for me to post a comment on these forums, but today I make an exception.

GSS approached me to attend an interview, after I had submitted my CV to them. I have 4000 on the 400, and worked for a major carrier for 20 years, without any incidents. Never failed a Sim or Route check. On the phone they gave me the impression that the interview would be “fairly informal”

I turned up early, in my Sunday best etc. Barely having sat down, their “quality manager” thrust an application form at me. Now,I have no problem in filling in forms, so long as I am given adequate time to do it properly, not 15 min before an interview, and not a form that required info that I just did not have on me, nor had permission to give out i.e. referees etc. When I pointed out that they had a very detailed CV, I was told they had never received one from me. How and why did they find me then!!

I suggested we reschedule the interview (I was now feeling very uncomfortable, but they persuaded me to stay.) Big mistake. I have no axe to grind, but I can honestly say this was the worst interview experience of my life.

Bearing in mind that I hadn’t been near a cockpit for 2 years,(I am retired) 2 of the 3 interviewers pumped me with a string of technical questions,(would you remember in detail the rapid decompression drill after 2 years not thinking about airplanes!) questioned the total hours in my logbook(whose counting when you have over 10000 hours, ) were heavy handed and I though quite rude. My opinion. 3 managers behaving like they were running a big airline with a big pool of pilots to pick from, when actually they were lucky to have me there. I am a normal guy, but experience like me does not walk through the door every day. Never once did they ask to see my training records that I had brought with me.

Anyway, they never even bothered to write to me with an outcome. Now, what does that tell you.

PS the logbook issue: Interviewer thought I should have had more hours than I did, for a pilot with 25 years in the airlines. I went home and thought about this, then realised that for many years I had only counted “takeoff to touchdown” This was the way I was trained in Australia. But who’s counting………

fuelclog
25th Mar 2008, 20:16
Are they looking for FO's at the moment?
What then would be their actual minimum requirements?
May turboprop only experienced applicants be considered ?
Thx for any info:)

there she blows
2nd Apr 2008, 19:27
dear kirkuk,
sorry to hear of your experience with gss,i have also had the x big airline something to prove how big am i interview technique,luckily escaping the essex mafia mob with more than my only my fingers burned,
what a bunch of gentlemen,mate:mad:

DouglasDigby
2nd Apr 2008, 21:54
http://www.gssair.co.uk/
Vacancies

Vacancies exist for the following staff, based at STANSTED, UK.

B747-400F First Officers

The minimum qualifications are:-

Total Time 3000hrs with 500hrs on multi-engine turbine
Valid CAA/JAA ATPL with Class 1 Medical
The right to work in the UK
Preference will be given to pilots with Jet Airliner experience

Frequently Asked Questions (updated 04 March 2008)

CVs should be sent to Kim Jeffery, Global Supply Systems, Room 13, Stansted House, Stansted Airport, Essex, CM24 1AE.
Tel: 01279 682908.
Email: [email protected] someone to do the interview for you too???

RAFAT
4th Apr 2008, 01:43
DD, the ad is slightly misleading, and could encourage fuelclog to apply when in fact he would be wasting his time. Their CTC selects interview candidates and he will not sway from his requirement for jet time.

Whether or not he would make a specific exception for ex-RAF Herc drivers I don't know.

fuelclog
4th Apr 2008, 11:08
Talked recently to their CTC on the phone and was told that with 3600 TT -most of it on ATR's- I was at the bottom of the list and was not likely to get an interview.
They would consider jet experienced or very very experienced Turboprop applicants.