PDA

View Full Version : UAE Visa'a?

GreasedItOn!
20th Jul 2000, 12:48
I'm probably going to move to UAE soon, on a work Visa.
The "other half" doesn't plan on letting me go by myself. We are not married but have been together for a long time...does anyone know what or if there is a Visa available for her to be able to live in Dubai with me, not necessarily working??

Cheers, G ;)

Whooaahh
20th Jul 2000, 15:41
Tricky one, Mate...

The norm for this is to apply for a tourist visa ( 1 month initially ), then once in country extend it for upto to three months. After the three months is up, a new tourist visa and a day trip out of ther U.A.E. to validate it will be required.

British Passport holders have it easier with automatic 1 month tourist visa's on arrival then the above process for extensions.

The obviously ploy, is to enter the country on a torist visa then find a legitimate employer for your better half who is willing to provide her with a work visa.

It has to be said that "living together" in Dubai should not be a problem unless you fall foul of a local or a non-local spy which is not difficult in some circles and the reason I left Dubai with my fiancee firmly in tow.

It has been known for non-married couples who are caught alone together ( not neccessarily naked and obviously guilty of any "fornication outside wedlock" which is a criminal offence in the U.A.E. ) to be locked-up and/or lashed and/or deported in certain emirates and not that long ago, either. This is usually resrved for our collegues who originate east or south of the U.A.E. but a British couple were subjected to this as recently as 1996 if my memeory serves me well. They were caught naked and obviously "at it" and should have known better than to do this sort of thing in a densly muslim popoulated area of Sharjah.

Dubai takes a more liberal view, but do NOT **** THEM OFF for any reason. It's their country and they make the rules. Always remember that.

Respect them and their culture and your respect may be returned.

Whooaahh!!!

GreasedItOn!
21st Jul 2000, 08:05
Thanks for the info,
I didn't realise it was like that in Dubai!
Is there any type of Visa that would allow a long term stay but not have to work?
Any advice from expats living in Dubai in similar circumstances would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers, G
:) http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/confused.gif :)

[This message has been edited by GreasedItOn! (edited 21 July 2000).]

sandpit
21st Jul 2000, 10:05
No chance of a long term stay unless on residence visa. So if you're not married and your partner is not working (i.e. has own visa), you've got a problem! Good luck.

ExSimGuy
22nd Jul 2000, 12:31
If she can do a bit of secretarial work, best thing would be to get a job. Pay is not too good as my daughter tried to find a job there (some 7 years ago) and the pay for ladies seems to assume that someone else is paying the rent! But this would definitely be the best route.

As long as you are reasonably discrete, there should not be too much of the problem otherwise, so don't worry too much in that respect - UAE (especially DXB) is not like some of the other countries around there!

Good luck! (and get accomodation with a spare bedroom so other Mid-East PPRuNers can visit and save the hundred quid a night hotel bills ;) :) ;)