View Full Version : IFR Approach Proceedures

daver_777
25th Mar 2008, 06:40
Hi all,

A quick question regarding instrument approaches in New Zealand does anyone know where in the AIP, CAR's or anywhere else it says that if you are approaching the overhead of the aid within 30 degrees of the outbound track you may proceed direct outbound, and do not have to commence the holding or reversal proceedure? I remeber being taught this, and executing it numerous times but am unable to find where it came from:confused:

An exact reference would be much appreciated

Cheers

Daver_777

Cap'n Arrr
25th Mar 2008, 07:59
In Aus, thats the same rule, written in the Terminal section of the Jepps (same place you find holding patterns and rules on visual circling)

mattyj
25th Mar 2008, 08:08
ENR 1.5-p20 (4.5.3)

If you're above the 10 mile MSA there really should'nt be anything you can't do but I can't get a reference for that!

As with anything written by AIP it needs to be re read two or three times to make sure you've got it right.
I think what it says is if you are above MSA you can set up a 30 degree intercept to get onto the outbound track..you don't need to be within 30 degees just so long as you can get on it by the aid using a 30 degree intercept..sorry no legal degree.

mattathm
4th Apr 2008, 10:38
:mad: the hold.:ok:
turn outbound and carry out the approach,
check the 25nm min safe alt sector circle in the bottom right corner of the app plate, if you are above that, then you have ensured the aircraft will not hit anything.
slow the plane down, turn at 25° aob intercept outbound track with minimal deviation of the radial and minturn radius, you will always be in tolerance of tracking requirements and all will be good and safe and less fight time and less fuel burn and more smoko time, but if your short of hours, then do the hold several times and then shoot the approach at real slow speed.

I know of a certain flight test and the guy carried out a hold on some random radial over the vor, the controller never came on the radio and said wtf are you doing.
The approach was carried out after the ofset hold was completed.. no one cared.

So in my mind, as long as you can ensure the saftey of the whole flight (saftey first) then go overhead and shoot the approach, unless the turn is more than 90°.

But thats just me.:ok:

Icarus53
4th Apr 2008, 12:16
There was some discussion recently on a separate thread regarding when you can descend on the outbound leg of a procedure. The rule states that you can descend once you have passed over the aid and are tracking to intercept the outbound course, you can commence descent (rather than when you are established on the radial).

Although this is splitting hairs to an extent, I believe that this particular rule is predicated on the aircraft intercepting the outbound radial from the hold or from within 30deg (hence the rule). Speed limits then restrict the amount the aircraft could still be off track while descending and intercepting the radial. If, however, you were to just turn onto an intercept course from say 90deg, you increase the track error considerably.

As pointed out here, you can pretty much do what you want if you remain above the MSA (and established within the specified range), but I would caution against an attitude of "don't worry what the book says, she'll be right". If you stick with the specified procedures, you can't go wrong, and at worst you spend a few more minutes airborne. What a horrible prospect.