PDA

View Full Version : Which current training ac type would you fly as a QFI and why

RandomBlah
25th Mar 2008, 05:42
Dear All,

I am in the process of completing my CFS application and have got to the section that required me to put forward my own preference for ac type. I would be interested to hear from those who have recent (ish) experience in QFI land with regard to what my preferences should be. I am also looking at Life in the round as Mrs RB would like to see a bit more of me than she has done in the last several years of going to various sandy places! I look forward to reading you views!

Thankyou

RB

artyhug
25th Mar 2008, 07:24
Well I can only talk fixed wing but for me the choice, well really that should be the primary influencing factor, is pretty straightforward.

Assuming you aren't one of those strange folk who obtain immense satisfaction and a glow like the ready brek kid from watching little johnny take his/her tentative steps down the road to enlightenment then you'll need a fair wedge of personal hands on flying enjoyment to remain sane. As such the further along the training pipeline the more fun there is to be had, in my opinion!

The downside is of course the location. However, you're married by the sounds of things so the devils isle will probably be a far more enjoyable place than it is to those who are single at the time.

All I will say is be under no illusion, you will within time be bored senseless by the repetitive nature of the flying. Yes the students change but they tend to make exactly the same mistakes. From experience the main difference between fixed wing QFI jobs is a matter of how long it takes to reach that boredom threshold, the further down the pipeline the longer the period of grace...

Of course you could dismiss that as a bitter whinge, then again I'm back on the front line where the streets are paved with gold so I'm happy!! :cool:

Monty77
25th Mar 2008, 17:21
Too true Arty.

But before you call flying instruction boring, chat to mates who deal with 14 hours in the cruise, which is what many of us end up doing.

Sadly, we all grow old, and cannot be whizzing around at low level with AAA all around us forever. You'll find the Memsahib disapproves, especially when ankle-biters emerge.

Also, check out JDAM Blues by Dos Gringos on Youtube. Lordy, Air Warfare just ain't what it was.

So to answer mate's original question: it depends on where you are in life.

If you are single and still have the urge to whizz about at high speed, and accept that one off the hand in your room in the Mess on a Saturday night will be your sex life, then Valley's for you.

If you are 'on the market' then it's got to be a nice Home Counties UAS. Totty have no idea about the difference between a Hawk and a Grob. It's prime territory and you have access to well, London. Deal with the fact that you can still turn upside down and get paid.

If you are married, what the bloody hell are you doing asking our opinion here? She'll tell you where you're going to ask for!

Good luck. It really doesn't matter what you fly, as long as you enjoy the life that is attached to it.

Farfrompuken
25th Mar 2008, 21:46
RB.

Agree with Arty.

Check yer PMs

Dr Schlong
26th Mar 2008, 09:48
Quote:
If you are 'on the market' then it's got to be a nice Home Counties UAS. Totty have no idea about the difference between a Hawk and a Grob. It's prime territory and you have access to well, London. Deal with the fact that you can still turn upside down and get paid.

Don't forget that the UASs aren't what they were a few years ago. Each UAS only has 2 QFIs nowadays; as a first timer you'll be heading to one of the 3 EFT bases (CFN, CWL or WYT).

Greenleader
26th Mar 2008, 23:22
Like the idea of having a dream sheet. Pretty sure that your desk officer will decide where you go - service needs and all that. If you give him a solution that works for you, he may make it happen, but in my experience it's never as simple as that. Good luck getting what you want. Hawk any time for me! Married? Like outdoor life? Like a good PU? Valley's difficult to beat! And the new A55 makes getting elsewhere a pleasure (ok - less of a chafe!)

BluntM8
26th Mar 2008, 23:37
Never been a QFI, but my best mate justified his choice to me by explaining that if he was lucky he might get 3 1/2 hrs a day flying. The other 20.5 where were he'd have to live. He chose based on that.

Blunty.